Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Junfac drive shaft....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Junfac drive shaft....

So I have a set of Junfac drive shafts for my creeper, but the rear is about 8mm too long for the rear with the DIG. So I figure that I will just shorten the rear by about 10mm, well I learned that you can't do that as the shaft key does not extend the length of the outer shafts ID. So that one goes to the scrap pile!

I didn't see that Junfac made anything shorter than 82mm...

HRDROKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

That stinks... I was really hoping to use these on a Creeper with Dig.
nstn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I am using the 3racing drive shafts and I also have dig. I just had to shorten one with a saw and file.
Junfac do make a short shaft that is sold individualy that should work.
Riksss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #4

You could just drill and tap a hole on the female shaft and use a small bolt / grub screw as a key. Obviously have to be careful to set it correctly so it catches but doesn't bind.
I take it you couldn't have just cut the male shaft down to make the length you needed, but it's a bit late now anyway.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksss View Post
I am using the 3racing drive shafts and I also have dig. I just had to shorten one with a saw and file.
Junfac do make a short shaft that is sold individualy that should work.
According to the information on their website... 82mm is their shortest shaft and the Creeper needs about 75 - 76mm compressed, depending on you link configuration.
HRDROKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRDROKN View Post
According to the information on their website... 82mm is their shortest shaft and the Creeper needs about 75 - 76mm compressed, depending on you link configuration.
Glad I held off on ordering my d/s set. This is the exact info I wanted before and no one offered up. Thanks for saving me $40+.
s14slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Traxxas Shafts & Steel Yokes... all I had to do was measure & cut and working like a champ.

Alot cheaper & easier then modifing some of those metal shafts
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I am still using a Junfac in the front, but had to swap the rear back to my Traxxas (w/ steel yokes) for the rear so i could cut them down. I was going to shorten my Junfacs down later. Might have to check that one now, as I have the earlier Stainless Steel shafts so they may differ.

A quick fix would be to add two grub screws and fill with JB (dip the male shaft in lube so it doesn't stick and slides in and out easily - Oh that's just sounding bad ) to remake the keyway
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #9

cant ya just grind it down on a bench grinder and key the whole shaft?
b00st3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #10

I had the same problem with my axial shafts. I ended up cutting it too small and it would twist when fully compressed. I swapped the males front to rear and they both worked so I just extended the 4 links a little to make them fit. It didn't need much, it would compress but would stick cause it just needed that little bit extra. I'm hoping to just grab some longer links soon.
craigerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Well there is one way to possibly get around this. Make some nice links out of allthread with tubing or derlin, and run a shorter link set up in the front with the longer links in the rear. Fix your drive shaft issue, and help crawling with a 60/40 weight setup.
LSXEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXEric View Post
Well there is one way to possibly get around this. Make some nice links out of allthread with tubing or derlin, and run a shorter link set up in the front with the longer links in the rear. Fix your drive shaft issue, and help crawling with a 60/40 weight setup.

This would be a good idea for a full on comp setup for sure! The only problem is his driveshaft issue is going to be in the front instead?
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreek View Post
This would be a good idea for a full on comp setup for sure! The only problem is his driveshaft issue is going to be in the front instead?

Well, depends on how much it is extended by. With the dig he needs 76mm so 82mm would be a 6mm extension in the rear. I'm not sure of the length needed in the front since I run an axial tranny with a DNA CFX thats nowhere near close to stock creeper driveshaft lengths.

So if you have 88mm space in the front my idea will work.
LSXEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

What about the CKRC venom drive shaft and yoke upgrade, would those work with the dig unit on it. It doesnt say how long they are so was going to see if anyone has used them with the dig?
jakedasnake92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #15

Yep those willl work...all they are is traxxas hardened yokes with traxxas drive shafts...Your local hobby store should have them too. you will have to cut a little off one of the drive shafts, bur they ay plastic so no worries...super strong too...I broke my stock ds first day out...have not broke a traxxas set up yet...Our yokes are 5mm holes just so u know
crawlercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #16

you will only have to cut one of the ds's if you have a dig unit...should have clarified
crawlercop is offline   Reply With Quote