Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: New Creeper build issues - Not very good QC at Venom...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #1

Default New Creeper build issues - Not very good QC at Venom...

Well I am new to the "crawler" scene, being that when I built my last crawler there was no such catagory. But now with all the hype and a 2yr old son that loves "monster" trucks and my true life Crawler buggy (Jeep buggy), it was obvious to me that I needed to get something he could enjoy in the house. With the slow speed of a Crawler kit of today, I went looking. My main concern, cost and longivity.

The Creeper seemed like a decent product, with the out of box ability, and replacement parts. I did read of some issues, but with the majority of them being passed off as issues that have been resolved.

Got the kit and opened the box to start assembly. Nice that bags were clearly labled. Given they dont know the difference between a button head Cap screw and a Flat head cap screw. But what ever...

Everything was going ok till I found that the screw bags were short on occation, some of the needed/required hardware. I read about this but with this being a direct Newer kit, I was told that was a issue from the older kits. Nope, still an issue...

So after moving on some steps and hoping to only have to go to the hardware source once, and see how many other screws were missing, I counted up I think 7 missing screws of 3 types.

Got those and went back to work. Then found that there were more missing then that and went again to the store to get more missing hardware.

I would hate to live in some open country city where you have to mail order everything, getting those screws would take days or more. And if you ordered what was labeled on the bag and in the instructions (not knowing what screw is what in the real world) then you would order the wrong stuff and have to try a second time.

Then on to the motor. I went with a Traxxus brushless system and when installing the motor I found that the front driveshaft hits the motor when the suspension is in close to full compression. Then measures the motor and compared it to a Venom Brushless motor. they both were so close in length and dia, that a tape measure would not be accurate enough to tell even. So now I am living with a front shaft that will get grooved and most likely snap after some real useage. We will see though.

Then on to the wheels. They put two screws per side in each beadlock ring from the factory. Well when removing each one by hand, all the material from the screw area was filling the treads as if the screws were installed while the rims were still curing and the screw attached to the material. So now 1/4 of all the holes are so useless that a screw wont even thread in enough to want to go in. they just turn. Then the other 6 screws per side are stripped basically. Even with cross tightening in steps (like a real beadlock) about every other one just stripped. Figured I will see how they hold up. But would not want to ever have to add, remove, or change the optional wheel wieghts, or even tires. I figure they are disposable tires/wheels. Are all plastic beadlocks like this?

Then on to the battery. Venom recommmends thier 6 or 7 cell pack. Figured that with the motor I had I better go 7 cell. I pick up thier 7 cell 5000, and it doesnt fit thier holder. I now have to Hope that my local hobby store will allow me to return a battery for a 6 cell, even though thier policy is no returns on electrical items. It was a close fit but not close enough to get to fit I think without removing alot of material in a questionable area?

All in all I guess its a good deal still for the low price and all. but I am writting this so others that are say in the boondocks and wanting a crawler, might want to be leary of this kit, still... Unless you have access to an assortment of small BHCS and FHCS and are willing to test fit and hope on some other items, then maybe concider another crawler?

I hope to get the battery sorted out today, and to find a rear steer kit or at least front steering hardware kit also. I am doing a 3rd channel rear steer (crab or opposing) for the fun of it, and cant find needed conversion parts locally. but thats to be expected really.

I did use a axial locker and did the mods to it to make it fit in one of the carriers. IMO that was too much work for a locker, not to mention you have to reduce the size of the axle ends. So on the front axle I just used some kneedable 2 part epoxy and filled some of the carrier around the side gears and then assembled it and let it dry. They opened up the carrier to find a very nice molded one piece block that was a locker now.

I have read alot on here and thank this forum for all this info! hope to be able to add to it in the future... Besides my bichfest.

Oh and forgot to add... They give you Red wheel washers for the green kit? Even in their pictures it shows red washers on the green car? Is it that much to ask for green since every other alum part is green??

Last edited by rwkhaussupply; 01-18-2010 at 12:34 PM.
rwkhaussupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #2

sorry to hear about your bad experience. i think your missing screws went in my kit! i had a bunch of extra screws!
b00st3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Thats what I had, was an ass load of extra's. The only problem I had was the ESC plate was countersunk backwards.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

No big problems with mine, it was one of the first generation creepers and I was missing one half of one driveshaft and Venom offered to take care of it but since I had aftermarket ones ready to go I didnt worry about it. Other than this I am thrilled with the Creeper.
Captaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #5

Oh well yes, I did have quite a few Extra screws left over.

I am not overly dis-pleased, just annoyed that after a few years (right?) they still dont have it right. Heck, I even found a few places in the instructions that call out on # screw in the assembly and then another in the line item right next to it.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Default Kit

My kit was missing a couple of screws. I had some extra hardware from a Tony's screw set for my Stampede. If I hadn't of had some extra hardware I can see how it would have been annoying. One of my diff-locker rings was bad. They replaced it after requesting that I send them a pic of the bad part. Everything else seemed to go OK. I wasn't overly impressed with some minor QC issues on their part, but overall they took care of the problems and such. Now it seems to be running pretty well. Mike
mpmackenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Sorry your experience was less than satisfactory.

My kit was perfect.

Everything labeled.
No stripped screws.
Everything was there.

Last edited by jaggededge; 01-18-2010 at 04:17 PM.
jaggededge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwkhaussupply View Post
Oh well yes, I did have quite a few Extra screws left over.

I am not overly dis-pleased, just annoyed that after a few years (right?) they still dont have it right. Heck, I even found a few places in the instructions that call out on # screw in the assembly and then another in the line item right next to it.
Look at it this way the hard part is over, now just kick back and enjoy

Also there customer service is unreal.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggededge View Post
Sorry your experience was less than satisfactory.
My kit was perfect.
Everything labeled.
No stripped screws.
Everything was there.
I think you took my post incorrectly. I am happy with my kit. I am also happy with Venom's customer service. I usually buy a screw set when I get a new kit anyways. If you think you are never going to need some extra hardware you are in for a surprise. My fingers aren't dainty enough to not have a few e clips bounce off the sun when I am trying to assemble a kit. Nice to know you live in the land of sugar plum fairies and rainbows though. I can't remember the last time something went perfect around here.
Mike
Old 01-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #10

I had a few issues too. Jason at Venom took care of me both times
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I just put mine together this weekend. No issues at all.

My only complaint is the motor mounting, what a joke. Whoever designed that way was in a hurry. A real spur with a slipper would have been nice. My Axial is way easier to work on. That being said the Venom has some nicer features out of the box and I think for general playing around it's probably a better kit. But if you want to get into comp I think the Axial is the way to go from my research. It seems to take less modding to get it up to par.

In any case I shall enjoy them both. Enjoy your new toy I mean I hope your son enjoys his new toy :P

-Aaron
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

great i wonder what kind of problems im gonna have when i get my kit in.... but good to hear that you still had a good out come
sidewaystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #13

ok update on battery mounting...

The 5000/8.4 venom would not fit in the alloted area for the battery. The 4000/8.4 venom pack I found Does fit though....

I got it all together and it seems to be going good. Turning sure is interesting with spooled diffs and the tires rubbing on the lower links at full turn. Cant wait till I get the additional steering link kit and get the rear servo hooked up for 4ws...

My boy is just lost for words or reactions with it.... Its great! the 400$ I am in to it is more then worth every penny and annoying issue! And the traxxus Velineon brushless motor and ESC is just awesome! Just wish I didnt have the motor to driveshaft clearance issue.. It didnt hit once though, while crawling alot of in house and garage things or such, so maybe it is a non issue... It will pull front tires 4" in the air(even with the torque twist) for about 2-3 feet, and a braking at about 6 ft of acceleration, the rear tires lift about 6" and it stops on a dime...

Last edited by rwkhaussupply; 01-18-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Default dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwkhaussupply View Post
ok update on battery mounting...

The 5000/8.4 venom would not fit in the alloted area for the battery. The 4000/8.4 vemon pack I found Does fit though....

I got it all together and it seems to be going good. Turning sure is interesting with spooled diffs and the tires rubbing on the lower links at full turn. Cant wait till I get the additional steering link kit and get the rear servo hooked up for 4ws...

My boy is just lost for words or reactions with it.... Its great! the 400$ I am in to it is more then worth every penny and annoying issue! And the traxxus Velineon brushless motor and ESC is just awesome! Just wish I didnt have the motor to driveshaft clearance issue.. It didnt hit once though, while crawling alot of in house and garage things or such, so maybe it is a non issue... It will pull front tires 4" in the air(even with the torque twist) for about 2-3 feet, and a braking at about 6 ft of acceleration, the rear tires lift about 6" and it stops on a dime...
Sweet!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmackenna View Post
Nice to know you live in the land of sugar plum fairies and rainbows though. I can't remember the last time something went perfect around here.
Mike
Cheer up, it's an RC car kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaystreak View Post
great i wonder what kind of problems im gonna have when i get my kit in.... but good to hear that you still had a good out come
The Venom kit is good and goes together fine.
jaggededge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggededge View Post
Cheer up, it's an RC car kit.

The Venom kit is good and goes together fine.
Yes I agree... see above post about being pleased with kit and Venom... Being pleased and everything going perfect are two totally different things homey.