Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: new guy servo help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default new guy servo help

hi guys i just got my creeper. finished building the kit. now im slowly gettin the rest of the electronics i need as i get the extra money. so for now im lookin for cheaper parts then later ill work on gettin the good stuff. i would like to get the best servo out there but my budget wont allow it. so any tips on a descent servo that wont break the bank?
punishermustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default servo

In my experience if you try to save money on a servo with a crawler you are just going to end up wasting money. If you get anything less than a hi-torque metal gear servo you will break it. Save yourself some money, time, and headache and buy a metal gear high torque servo. Cheapest one I have seen that would fit is by HobbiCo, and it is 90$.
mpmackenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default .

what about this one from venom its high torque metal gear
Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by punishermustang View Post
Can't say much about that one, never used it. All I know is I bought a nylon gear servo that was supposed to be high torque/heavy duty and it broke almost immediately. Maybe this one would fare better.
mpmackenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

i was in the same boat as you where when i first got my creeper up and going. i only had about $50 to spend on a servo after stripping the gears out on my old one (plastic gears). my local hobby shop had a hi-tec HS-645MG servo for $45. it has all metal gears and it gets me by. but it is alittle under powered. if i remember right it only has 110ish in-oz. but other than that its been going good for 4 months now and im hard on my creeper. i just looked on tower hobbies, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ89&P=ML, they have it listed for $35.
lazynocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I can help ya out if your interested. I have a hitec 645 that I'm not using 28.00 paypal its yours. Lmk.
Bubba73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have the HiTec 645 on my Creeper, I think I picked mine up for $35 on ebay, for that kind of money you can't go wrong!
tigman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

y2kgtp has a metal geared cirrus high torque servo with almost 200 in oz that he runs that he sells for 33$ check him out. He has a thread in the vendors section under electronics I believe

edit...Here's the thread
LokenRacing.com Electronics corner - ESC's, BEC's, Servos, etc...
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
smr
Rock Stacker

I have been running MG995 servo. Its ok for the money. I picked up four of them on ebay for 40$. I toasted one already but I run 3S with a BEC set at 6V anbd abuse it. I just bought a Hitec HS-7950TH...its 402oz at 6V..Im excited to use it..
smr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
y2kgtp has a metal geared cirrus high torque servo with almost 200 in oz that he runs that he sells for 33$ check him out. He has a thread in the vendors section under electronics I believe

edit...Here's the thread
LokenRacing.com Electronics corner - ESC's, BEC's, Servos, etc...
Been doing pretty good so far with these servos. My 5yr old BEATS on his creeper, and has not broken it yet. Even bent a metal servo arm, but not the servo gears LOL. Reminds me to order more I think I got 1 left
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i have the hitec 645... works wonders... just remember you can have all the bells and whistles on your rig or not... its always up to the driver to get his/her rig through that gate
sidewaystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #12

I have been running this one and it has been ok..
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=605442
timberline97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I've bought 3 new HiTec 645MG from Ebay. RCsuperstore.com Ebay store have them for $26.47 + $1.79 shipping = $28.26 at my door

Last edited by EvoKin; 02-23-2010 at 04:05 PM.
EvoKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by punishermustang View Post
I just got one of these in the mail for my rear steer and it seems a bit week! not impressed.
dman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default thanks

thanks guys for the help i am goin to look into these servos. cant wait to get this creeper goin. i havent even drove it yet and ive already started doin mods.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

jr 9100T kinda pricey but it will turn a nitro truggy and a 3 yr warranty
liquidkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

i went with a jr servo(my first i am futaba fan)
and i have had good luck with it !!! it was like 35$
hobbytown usa (in the store) . it has a little over
hundred oz in torque and it has enough power to turn the
truck if it is standing on the front axle.
buuuuuttttt....... i only have three ounces in front tires(so far)
i have been told the more weight you run the more torque you
need ( makes sence to me) i would go with a metal gear servo
for sure!!!!!!!
rcslsafut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #18

Default Venom Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman65 View Post
I just got one of these in the mail for my rear steer and it seems a bit week! not impressed.
Here is my experiance with the Venom Servo

Good morning, I just received a ven-1825 High torque server to mount on my Creeper for rear steer. This server won’t come back to center unless moving or sitting on a flat smooth surface. Is this normal? If so do you have anything with higher torque?
I went with this servo because of the price point and it is recommended for the Venom Creeper but I am a bit frustrated. The 1825 is rated at 91.88 oz. my front servo is rated at 120 oz and it performs fine.

Darrin

Hello Darrin,
If this is mounted in the vehicle I would say this is going to be normal as this though it is a high torque servo has a very low torque rating.
This 91oz/in rating is going to be at 6.0 volts which you will not see unless you are running a separate bec or receiver battery.
This has been my personal experience with the creeper and any servo rated for less that 200oz/in at 4.5 volts.

Thank you

Jason Koneval
Venom Group International
14028 N Ohio St
Rathdrum, ID 83858

1-800-705-0620 Ext. 211

Darrin Wrote:

I am running a separate BEC. If what you say is the case then why is this the recommended servo for the Venom?

Jason Koneval Wrote
This is the only servo we carry that will fit in this model. It will swing the tires but as you said the vehicle really needs to be moving. This has been the experience of all of us running this servo in our creeper. I have since switched to a 333oz/in servo and a separate bec for this very reason.

Thank you

Jason Koneval
Venom Group International
14028 N Ohio St
Rathdrum, ID 83858

Darrin wrote:

Well that is interesting, because it is the only one you sell that will fit it is the one recommended? Now with that said I am new the crawler hobby but not RC (18years flying and tinkering around). I understand the importance of torque and speed on a servo.
I would have expected that if it was recommended it would have performed. Now you are telling me you and probably others in your company don’t use your recommended server due to poor performance. Nice… now I have a 23 dollar servo that is pretty much useless

Jason Koneval Wrote
Hello Darrin,
That is not at all what I am saying this servo is great for a low budget get the crawler going servo. But as a lot of us are getting more active in competitions you must run a very high torque servo to be able to move the wheels when they are under a heavy load.
I am sorry but again you will find this with any truck and any servo in the torque range. Large trucks need large torque servos to turn the wheels while not moving.
dman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default wow

sounds like false advertising so i believe i will not be gettin the venom servo. i believe ill try the hitec 645 to start with. thanks everyone you have saved me some trouble and money. i realy like this site ive been on here almost everyday since i got my creeper. i have learned alot about the creeper and rc rock crawling from this forum.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I have a hitec 645mg and find it to be tough but a little underpowered....I would save some money up and get something with more torque.
Captaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote