Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Creeper vs AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Creeper vs AX10

I know this thread has done a gagillion times!!!

But most are a little out dated.

Can someone (without being a fanboy) give me some pros and cons to each?

Trying to get a straight answer to these plz.

I know some due to research but want some updated opinions. Thanks.
Krazee DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Well i have zero experience with the AX10 but the creeper is my first crawler and so far i have been very pleased with it. Very capable rig especially after just a few very cheap mods. Went crawling with an AX10 and i could do a lot more technical lines then my buddies AX10.
jakedasnake92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

First off, its really hard to judge between the two because setup has A LOT to do with how each rig handles and reacts to certain things. With that said ...

I run the Venom and my Fiance runs an Axial. I have set up both cars as close to the same as I could given the differiences between the two.

The Venom was purchased as a kit and I did have some issues with over heat treated parts when I first got it. Venom took good care of me so this was more of an inconvience then anything else.

The Axial was purchased as an ARTR so no issues there at all except re-tightening a few factory nuts and bolts which should be done to all machines periodically anyway.

One major thing to take into consideration is the amount of aftermarket support. Axial clearly takes this one hands down. There is VERY LITTLE aftermarket support for the Creeper.

Because the Creeper is a bit heavier and beefier, it seems more stable especially on side hills and its more predictable. The Creeper overall seems a bit more "stiff" meaning that when you pick up the Creeper there is no slop where with the Axial it seems a little sloppy. Because these cars are both set up relatively the same they both handle pretty close to the same. There have been a few occasions where I have made lines with the Creeper that her Axial would not.

In order to get the Creeper to where it is today it required some alterations and a little ninjanuity ! The battery tray was removed in favor of a home made stage 2 suspension setup. The chassis, shocks and factory springs are still being used.

The Axial has an SWX chassis, Losi springs on factory shocks, home made upper and lower links, Bender Custom servo and 4-link plates and 1/4" supports for the top of the chassis.

It took more time and money to get the Axial to keep up with my Creeper. More money because of the chassis and more time because of making the upper and lower links myself. I could have bought the links from Axial but I had more time then money ...

TO end this book, the Axial and the Creeper or both very good cars and both of them can be made to crawl very well. The only thing I do not like about my Creeper is the lack of aftermarket support. You will not be disappointed with either of these cars so make a decision and "DO WORK"

Also remember RC Rock Crawling is 90% driver and 10% car unless you run a berg then its 60 - 40 !
CleptoLeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have a Creeper and my cousin has an Ax10. So the upside to the ax10 is that there is a huge selection of aftermarket parts for it and it's wicked right out the box, but it's all kinda pricey. The creeper is affordable and wicked but not a lot of aftermarket opptions unless you do conversions. sock ax10s are good on the rocks but not much else. and stock creepers rule just about anything but snow. hope this helps
icemancrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have an AX10 with Green aluminum links as well as an Venom Creeper with Red aluminum links

Ax10 pro's
1.Transmission is rock solid and smaller and sits lower providing a lower COG.
2. Axles are better IMO because there are no little pins that can come loose bind and snap your axle
3. Drive shaft is also better IMO because there is only a set screw and no pins to come out. ( I know some people have had problems with AX10's drive shafts but these people are either running a 3s lipo or trying to power out of a bind or did not use lock tight)
4. The links are better IMO because they do not have that funky bend that the Creeper has.
5. The way the motor attaches to the tranny is way better than the Creeper.
6. Over the axle battery set up is a snap.
7. Stock springs are great! unlike the creepers super soft ones. (my stock AX10 springs are on my creeper and work great)

Creeper pro's
1. The stock 4 link set up is better than the stock 3 link of the AX10
2. It's nice to have CVD's out of the box but they need modding to work well (I am going from what I have read here my stock CVD's have not had any problems yet)
3. The ability to lock or unlock both axles is nice (but who runs with an unlocked axle?)
4. The transmission is big but feels solid
5. During the build I felt there was more to the creeper than the ax10
6. The front knuckles (C-hubs I think they are called) allow better turning radious

I do not have a preference with either truck and honestly they both do well on the rocks. I would have to say the AX10 has more parts availabe but the creeper is becoming more popular so people are making parts for it as well. If your on a budget I would get the creeper (RPP HOBBY $104.95) and if you can afford it I would get the AX10 or be cool like me and have both.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I own a Creeper an AX10 and a Comp Crawler and love them all. If I was to own 1 it would be the AX10. Venom is a nice rig for the price but there just isn't as much flexability dig wise (venoms is stupid expensive for what it is) and aftermarket wise. The AX10 has been bullit proof for me and is easier to work on. It doesn't climb as well as the Losi (IMO) but it also doesn't have the headaches associated with the Losi. The AX10 also goes a lot further on batteries.

So if the lack of dig options doesn't bother you and you don't care about aftermarket support (in the near term) then the Creeper is it, but the Axial is the whole package in my book.

Take my opinion as someone who doesn't comp, just has a strange addiction to these mini monsters.
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Sweet. amazing responses fellas. Really helps.
Krazee DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:17 AM   #8

you know most makes good sense,,,,,creeper for price.
tjbunch is offline   Reply With Quote