Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Limiting Long shocks = Shorter Shocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Limiting Long shocks = Shorter Shocks?

Just wrapping my head around something.
Does limiting a long shock confer any benefits over starting with a shorter shock?
So say I'm limiting my shocks by 20MM and the original shock body was 100MM long, would (assuming they were available) using an 80MM shock body do the same thing?

If there is a benefit to using limiters (aside from the ability to adjust the limit by changing the spacer length) as opposed to using a shorter shock?
Captain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Ride height
88_Pathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I think I can see where you are going with your question.
Limiting the shock stoke with fuel tube or whatever we use is one thing, then we need to consider what effect that has on the spring. It now depends on where that 20mm deducted from.

If we limit it internally then the spring is compressed a bit more, how much is not for me to calculate as I would not know where to start.

If we limit it externally then the spring will not reach maximum compression and also not be at its best.

Both are valid tuning options to get a feel for things and then spring replacements may be the go along with shock oil weight and number of holes in the piston.

I cheated and went for a 90wt gearbox lube oil with stock pistons and some springs from the hardware store that were a fair bit stiffer than stock. That is pure science

Works for me.
Simon.O. is offline   Reply With Quote