Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: gottorque's Underground Creeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #21
RCC Addict

New Parts fest
My packageas from TCS and RMDESIGNWORKS were waiting for me when i got home from my vacation.
I did bring the truck with me and crawled a little bit out there but snapped another right front cv pin. I have made several allredy and they all work them selves out and snap. Not a big deal hovever i might end up getting CKRC HD cvds.
On to pics

Rovers, Servo, and Robitronics horn(beefiest one ive seen)
I also got a full set of Paradox foams and a custom upper link plate from Rocky Mountain Design Works(Forgot to get pics)
Im getting the plate installed and set up and i will get pics up when im done

Im really impressed with the rovers upon pulling them out the bag. They are big, sticky monster meats. I did wait to put them on till my foams got here, but per his install tips they went on nicely. Im not one to like the flat tire look and these helped out a lot with that and filled the tires out good. The fronts dont sag much even with weighted wheels and the front axle and all that. Beyont that, the rovers 1 upped the coolness factor on my truck
Its sitting at 2.9 in. at the skid. i dont really want to limit the shocks so i might just move all the electronics off the chassis and slam the body.
I have a good test session planned tommorow

gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2010, 05:05 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Alec...the Rovers look good all puffed out. Glad you like the stance. Get some pics brother. I cant wait to hear what you think of the way they work. If you have any issues with the link plate let me know. Thomas
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
Alec...the Rovers look good all puffed out. Glad you like the stance. Get some pics brother. I cant wait to hear what you think of the way they work. If you have any issues with the link plate let me know. Thomas
I got the plate installed this morning. and when i first looked at it installed, i thought my uppers would be too long,and id have to trim them. well i still had the 12 drg. bent ends from the kit that made them just the right length. I have some beefier revo ends i will put on their though. I still need to make an appropriate cross brace between the posts on the plate as the cut up body post didn't work so well. One of the holes was off a bit but i got it in there, so no biggie. never mind the lexan link plate either...temporary more less
Picture fest ahead...you've been warned

Once i got that done i went to my buddys house to his brick course, where i gave the rovers, foams and rear upper plate their inaugural run....all i can say is woah!!...

Last edited by gottorque; 08-13-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Default Part 2 of this madness

round 2. I know. i took a lot of pics, but what the heck
Pics from the second spot we went to....whole new game entirely

Trail repairs....a given

Last edited by gottorque; 08-16-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Alec,,,man I do apologize, I made two plates. One had some alignment issues with the holes on one plate and I had set it aside,,I should have thrown it away instead I put it on my work bench and got busy. Some stuff got moved around and I wound up grabbing the wrong one to send to you. I am glad you got it to work though. So,,,,,,Besides WHOA!...what do you think of your Creeper now? How are the foams treating you? Do you see marked improvement with the new link geometry in the rear?

Pics look good too Bro. Nice area. Remember to keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel....
Old 08-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Alec,,,man I do apologize, I made two plates. One had some alignment issues with the holes on one plate and I had set it aside,,I should have thrown it away instead I put it on my work bench and got busy. Some stuff got moved around and I wound up grabbing the wrong one to send to you. I am glad you got it to work though. So,,,,,,Besides WHOA!...what do you think of your Creeper now? How are the foams treating you? Do you see marked improvement with the new link geometry in the rear?

Pics look good too Bro. Nice area. Remember to keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel....
My creeper has definitly excieded expectations for my first 2.2 truck. It just looks cool and its definitely helped by the rovers and your paradox foams. Giving them that full bodied look, but are seemingly able to soften up when they need to and give just the right amount of flex in the tires, not to much and not to little.

The new link geometry has helped alot and i hardly noticed any TT at all(well except for that v notch crag that's like 60 degrees steep). It feels really planted at the back even though i don't have any weight in the back.
I also would like to say that Juan from underground crawlers and the F-4 chassis was pretty much the base for this build. I know i had to run an ax10 tranny but its definitly worth it to run this chassis. That big delrin skid has gotten me out of some nasty spots and the adjustibility allows for easy fine tuning.

I was able to fix the mount points with 4-40 allthread and bolts. I put revo ends on their also. I shouldn't have any problems any more

Last edited by gottorque; 08-16-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
My creeper has definitly excieded expectations for my first 2.2 truck. It just looks cool and its definitely helped by the rovers and your paradox foams. Giving them that full bodied look, but are seemingly able to soften up when they need to and give just the right amount of flex in the tires, not to much and not to little.

The new link geometry has helped alot and i hardly noticed any TT at all(well except for that v notch crag that's like 60 degrees steep). It feels really planted at the back even though i don't have any weight in the back.

I was able to fix the mount points with 4-40 allthread and bolts. I put revo ends on their also. I shouldn't have any problems any more
Alec...Thanks for the review bro. Im glad the foams work well for you.

Im especially thankful for your review about the link plate because there is so much "Bull" goin on about TT. Im sick of the Shock oil and spring method for fixing a link geometry problem. So... my point is... changing your rear upper links to where they are now with the new axle mounted link mount has all but eliminated your Torque Twist. YES?

Thomas
Old 08-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Alec...Thanks for the review bro. Im glad the foams work well for you.

Im especially thankful for your review about the link plate because there is so much "Bull" goin on about TT. Im sick of the Shock oil and spring method for fixing a link geometry problem. So... my point is... changing your rear upper links to where they are now with the new axle mounted link mount has all but eliminated your Torque Twist. YES?

Thomas
Yea bro. link geometry is your friend

Last edited by gottorque; 08-14-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Default Update

Been a while since ive updated...since school is more important. any way i feel its time to let the cat out of the bag as to what i have been hiding. Juan knows, but only to an extent( hint enough much). So, i made my second purchace with Underground Crawlers...This time for a Fastback. I asked for a white topped-black subframed one and he delivered. This is kind of a good and bad upate.
The good part is the machine work on the delrin top is exceptional and the machined Underground logos on each side 1up the cool factor. I find that the simplest of details can completely change the cool factor and bring it to the next level.
The bad: I got the white on black one for one reason...to dye the top to my usual red. I picked up some scarlet red liquid Rit dye as it was dark enough(only liquid red the store had). I did the usual heat up water in the microwave and mixed the hot water and dye in a foil pie pan. Gave it 15 min...."light orange...i'll give it more time. 10 min later still orange. Added more hot water and waited...still orange. Im going to bed
I tried again today with a hot plate with near boiling water. Had them in their 20 min. still orange
Time to suck it up. Now the custom body skins i made wont match
So here it is. I present Orange Traffic Barrel

If you have any suggestions as to what i did wrong, let me know
Old 08-24-2010, 06:04 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

It stands out huh????????? Gives a whole new meaning to PYLON RACER.

HEY,,you should do big "01" on the sides and top with a rebel flag.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
It stands out huh????????? Gives a whole new meaning to PYLON RACER.

HEY,,you should do big "01" on the sides and top with a rebel flag.
Dukes of Hazzard orange it is Time for new skins. Didnt turn out as bad as i initially thought

still a "pylon racer" so i might make skins for that too
Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #32
I joined the Band!

sweet rig!!! fastbacks are the sh**!
TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Info on the "Hoist" please mate!!!!!
WICKED MQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICKED MQ View Post
Info on the "Hoist" please mate!!!!!
Duratrax Pit Tech Delux car stand. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBJP4&P=ML
Picked it up from the LHS and orange was the only color they had. got it anyway. I do like it alot and as you can see i store my fastback on it to keep the tires round. The channel on the upper plate is just wide enough for the links to sit in there with out moving and the triangulation keeps it planted on it. It rotates and as two fairly large parts trays which is really handy. Its a good hight even with rovers.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #35
No idea what I'm doing

Your Fastback and stand are a pretty good match

Really interested in seeing how this turns out...the Fastback was originally designed for the AX-10, but it's now here in the Creeper section and starting to show up in the Losi Comp Crawler section too. I'll be watching!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I'm looking forward to hearing how your new rear link mount plate from RMD works out for you... based on his (and my own) research and trial/error I think mine will be much better than before...
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
Duratrax Pit Tech Delux car stand. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBJP4&P=ML
Picked it up from the LHS and orange was the only color they had. got it anyway. I do like it alot and as you can see i store my fastback on it to keep the tires round. The channel on the upper plate is just wide enough for the links to sit in there with out moving and the triangulation keeps it planted on it. It rotates and as two fairly large parts trays which is really handy. Its a good hight even with rovers.

That's Brillant!! I'm gonna get a Purple one! Thanks HEAPS Dude!!
WICKED MQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyG View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing how your new rear link mount plate from RMD works out for you... based on his (and my own) research and trial/error I think mine will be much better than before...
I have had it for a while now and i did a short write up on it in post 26 but that was with the F-4....The fastback is a whole nother animal. Heck i cant wait to run this thing, but i will give you guys an update after some good run time
Old 08-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #39
RCC Addict

So here are the skins i originally made for it. I based it on red top not orange but i will put them on anyway. On that note i might just go ahead and dye it to black cause that would match also, but Im not shure
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #40
No idea what I'm doing

Those are awesome! Too bad your red dye didn't work (I have no experience with dying Delrin), but maybe you could tweak your skins to be orange? Unless you already printed them.

Killer work
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote