Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: jebster's creeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #201
I wanna be Dave

its been awhile since i've posted anything. i've gotten the creeper out quite a bit and i'm liking the way it is running. one thing that has bugged me is with the stock wheels i have no way to quickly adjust weights. so, i have an xr10 so i decided to do a wheel swap. to do that i had to get some wideners to get back to the same track width. did the swap last night and i'm liking the look. i used the internal xr10 weight ring to get just under by previous wheel weight in the front. now i can use the brass slugs i have to adjust as needed. looking forward to running this setup. here are a couple pics:
Attached Images

jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #202
RCC Addict

that looks really nice jebster
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomcrawlerdud View Post
that looks really nice jebster
x2 looking good
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #204
I wanna be Dave

thanks. the wheels have been working great on my xr10 so i hope i have the same luck on my creeper. i am a little concerned about the wideners holding up but only time will tell.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #205
Yashua

Looks great Jeb, I had a set of those XR-10 wheels too, I was thinking the same thing as you about the wideners, did'nt know if they would last or strip the hex out of the wheel and I ended up not ever trying them. Good luck with them.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #206
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: jebster's creeper

it's been awhile since i posted up. i've had a chance to comp my creeper a few times and i've been pretty happy. i liked the xr10 wheels but, to no surprise, the hexes have gotten rounded so i switched to a set of aluminun hubbed wheels. i've also had to adjust springs a couple times. i'm also getting more use to how it handles.

i did have a question. has anyone created or currently run with knuckle weights on their creeper? i run an xr10 in the pro class and love the stability it gives me. i have what i think is a simple knuckle weight design i'm going to try out once i get some material but if others have done this i'd like to get some lessons learned. i'll try to post up pics of my mocked up weight system soon.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #207
Rock Crawler

you can run ax-10 high clearance knuckles zero ackerman and get the weights for them .
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #208
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo303d View Post
you can run ax-10 high clearance knuckles zero ackerman and get the weights for them .
i think i saw the post on that before. my idea would use the existing creeper knuckles. it would require wheels would reasonable internal clearance (like vp) but a lot of people already have that. materials will be straight forward and the amount of machining is small.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #209
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
i think i saw the post on that before. my idea would use the existing creeper knuckles. it would require wheels would reasonable internal clearance (like vp) but a lot of people already have that. materials will be straight forward and the amount of machining is small.
Sounds cool i say go with it
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #210
I wanna be Dave

I personally like axle weights better then wheel weights. It tends to break alot less parts. If you make some let us know how they turned out. I am sure there are lots of us interested.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #211
I wanna be Dave

I don't have the material on hand so I decided to mock it up with cardboard. The real material will be brass washers. McmasterCarr has the right size: 1 5/8 OD, 25/32 ID, 1/4 thick. As you can see I plan on notching the washer to stick to the outside of the knuckle and fix it in place like VP does for the xr10 knuckle weights (small screws on the back side). After the addition washers, either full rings or half rings, will be mounted to the first ring. The screws will be threaded into the brass washers.

My goal would be to get between 3 & 4 oz on each side. Until I get the washers I won't be sure.

So, I have a couple pics of my mock up. Feedback is welcome. Remember, my goal is to make a system that could be created with handle tools.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #212
I wanna be Dave

You know the weight of each washer? Cant be much I wouldnt think. Maybe 2oz?
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #213
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
You know the weight of each washer? Cant be much I wouldnt think. Maybe 2oz?
I'm trying to find a volume to weight conversion tool right now. If each wash came in at 2 oz that would work great since I plan on getting 2 to 3 washers per side.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:30 AM   #214
I wanna be Dave

if i did the math right each washer will weigh in at 0.8oz. not as high as i hoped but if i can get 3-4 washers per side i would get the knuckle weight i want.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #215
I wanna be Dave

Vanquish add-on rings have the following weights:
1/8 thick Rings weigh .69oz each ring.
1/4 thick Rings Weigh 1.38oz each ring.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #216
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
Vanquish add-on rings have the following weights:
1/8 thick Rings weigh .69oz each ring.
1/4 thick Rings Weigh 1.38oz each ring.
thanks for the reference. looks like my math must be close. you wouldn't happen to have I.D. / O.D. measurements for the VP add on rings would you? haven't placed my order for the brass washers through mcmaster yet. if vp is the right size and the price is good i could go that route.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #217
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
thanks for the reference. looks like my math must be close. you wouldn't happen to have I.D. / O.D. measurements for the VP add on rings would you? haven't placed my order for the brass washers through mcmaster yet. if vp is the right size and the price is good i could go that route.
In order to mount the VP weights you need theyre knuck weights...they wont fit VC knucks...they dont list an ID for the rings but the OD is right around 1.5-1.6"
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #218
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
In order to mount the VP weights you need theyre knuck weights...they wont fit VC knucks...they dont list an ID for the rings but the OD is right around 1.5-1.6"
i wouldn't be using them with vp knuckles. i would use the rings to make the knuckle mounts as i listed below. the o.d. would be good, i just need to find the i.d., which is the critical size for what i'm doing.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #219
I wanna be Dave

so i did my math again on the weight of each brass ring and it is actually 1.9oz per ring. perfect! put an order in tonight. once i get them in and mount them up i'll post some pics of how it turned out.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #220
I wanna be Dave

Got my brass washers today and started making my knuckle weight mount. Pretty simple. Used a hacksaw to rough cut the notches to fit around the knuckle then used some files to finish them up. Just need to drill a few hole to mount it on the knuckle and a couple more for connecting up additional rings. Once I get it finished I'll take some file weight measurements then test it out.

A few pics of the progress so far:
Attached Images