Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: jebster's creeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Hey guys,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyG View Post
The Rovers fit on the stocker wheels, altho I'm having some trouble keeping the bead from pulling out... I leave the ring on using 3 screws and tuck the bead in under the ring, then tighten the 3 screws and check the sidewall for inconsistencies... Then I install the remaining screws, but it seems they aren't clamping tight enough... Also, I have one tire out of four that has torn treadblocks - right out of the bag!! (won't hold air like all the others - they seem to work better when they're puffed out) I will have to take pics, maybe HPI will send me a replacement...

PS - sorry for the hijack!!
Speedy,,go to the store and get yourself a lid ring from a MASON JAR,,,set the rear bead on the wheel,,,then place the wheel on something about the same diameter as the wheel and push the ring down around the front bead to work it into the bead groove in the wheel then install your bead ring and screws....or set the rear bead then grip the tire in one hand so that the ,,,ah screw it ill take a pic or two of how I set my beads and post them up on here and in the T&T thread....give me a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
not a hijack if you're giving input. i've seen your issues with the rovers mentioned by a couple others. there are also people saying they haven't had any issues. could this be an issue with the rovers quality?

on the topic of tires/wheels if i wanted to pick up a set of aluminum wheels is there anything i should be particular about? i was looking at these http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/narrow-b...ngs-p-858.html. i love the black and green colors and the price seems reasonable. they are listed as narrow but when i contacted ckrc they said the wheels were 1.5in wide, which is the same as the stock creeper wheels.
jebster,,,Ive ran Rover Blue dots and Whites on narrow (1") and wide wheels and they work better on wides like the stock Creeper wheels or Axials,,,my wheels are stock width. The sidewall gets pulled in too much with narrows and it causes the Rovers to not want to sidehill as well,,,and I think they wad up more and dont unload as well.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

is 1.5in width consider standard? that is why i'm confused. the rims i listed at CKRC are called narrow even though they told me the width is 39mm (1.5in).
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

The pretty standard list of narrow wheels usually go as 1" and smaller in width. A wheel at 1.5" is not what most people would consider narrow...that must be a typo on their end. If they are indeed 1.5" wide they would be fine in my book,,,now you,, may like a narrower wheel,,,ie: .75" or even a .5" wheel. I dont care for how the sidewall of the tires roll when you sidehill.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

ok. i hope it is a typo because i like the look of the wheels and i wanted a width similar to the stock wheels. they are also listed as having zero offset on the hex which would help give me a little more room in the front to reposition my front shocks without rubbing the wheels.

i'm hoping to have my BTA mod done soon (using 1/4" aluminum rod to run a link like the CKRC BTA kit). hope to have pics up in a day or two.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Well when you get them measure themtrhough the package before you rip the plastic open,,,if they arent at least 1.5" wide Id send them back,,,,the Link Murdered out" wheels are good,,thats what I run
Old 09-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

i saw the murdered out rims and they look nice and they are a better price but i'm willing to pay a little more for the look i want. if these other rims aren't what they are advertised i may go with the murdered out rims (probably in raw aluminum).

by the way, what has been your experience with ckrc customer service? i do get responses back to questions but it seems to take a long time. i'm guessing they are pretty busy. i've only placed one order with them so far and that was a good experience.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Post those wheels over in the WHEELS AND TIRES forum and ask if any one has them and if they are truely 1.5" wide.

It may take a couple of days but hey you might get an answer at least.

I havent dealt with their customer service except once and it was fine...Ive ordered multiple items from them and havent had a problem.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

so, spent last night finishing up my BTA steering mod (pics below). i'm liking the way it turned out and can't wait to get it on the rock pile. i figured i could do the same as the ckrc kit but instead of spending $50 it cost me $3 for 3' of 1/4" aluminum rod. after 4 attempts and some trashed rod i have no binding at all and everything is lined up awesome. it is tight but fits if you bend it at the right points. i also add a nerf bar on the front to provide some protection to my diff lock servo and back of the steering servo. next up, 4VP chassis
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

looks good man,,,,action pics are next right?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
looks good man,,,,action pics are next right?
yep, as soon as i can get out of work early enough that it isn't dark. wait, maybe i should be looking at adding lights!

i need to look into what clubs/competitions run in my area. i'm enjoying tweaking my rig and running on the rocks in the back yard but i want to see other crawlers in action. this forum has been very helpful but it's time to put mine through it's paces.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

rm, i was meaning to ask you. how much steering angle are you getting out of your crawler? in some of your pics it looks pretty large. are you at 45 degrees? i'm at 40 right now and haven't hit a line yet that if feel i needed more (given a dig and my diff lock i can make some pretty tie turns).
Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

My steering is at or so damned close to 50 degrees you cant tell the diff. Its sick to see people with Bergs take a double look when they see my wheels turn to full lock...I love my Creeper steering,,its one of the reasons I cant see goin with an Ax or LCC/LNC.

Plus,,,theres the cool factor of a shafty with ring gears competing with Bergs, Bully's, Ax's and Losi's and taking the same lines they do and some they cant. I always freak a bit when my VC takes a line that one of the $1200-$2000 MOA's run. ANd then I smile when mine keeps going while they are replacing a broken axle or link or whatever. Knock on wood though, dont wanna jinx myself ya know....does a cheap screw together desk with particle board top count as knocking on wood? I mean, it is wood right?

Yeah,,,bashing around in the back yard alone or with a couple of freinds is fine for a while but watching 5-10 guys all running the same lines with little differences in tire placement and speed runs makes you really start to think about how you drive your rig.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

I just rechecked it a little closer and its right at 52 degrees,,,damn,,104 degrees or steering angle lock to lock.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I just rechecked it a little closer and its right at 52 degrees,,,damn,,104 degrees or steering angle lock to lock.
wow, that's a lot of steering angle (saw your post in your thread too). i may need to get a longer servo arm to get more out of mine. wanted to get an aluminum arm at some point anyway.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

My servo horn is modified (ofcourse) to be 1 1/8" long hole to hole. Now I want a stronger servo,,,,,
Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My servo horn is modified (ofcourse) to be 1 1/8" long hole to hole. Now I want a stronger servo,,,,,
i'll have to see what length servo horn i can find. i'm also looking to get a stronger servo. been looking at the hitec 7955tg. for the price and torque you get it seems like a reasonable choice.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

had a present in the mailbox today. my new 4VP chassis. started the install but didn't get to spend much time on it. minus one issue with the nose of the chassis interferring with my BTA steering (which AB Designs has offered to send new parts no charge ) it is fitting up awesome. can't wait to get this thing assembled and on the rocks!
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Lookin good.... so how did you do comping today?
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

ok. put the kids to bed early and spent the evening getting my crawler up and running. 4VP chassis, custom made aluminum backbone (adds a little extra strength to the chassis, ties the top of the transmission to the chassis plates and gives me a little room to mount things), BTA steering mod, front diff lock option, dig unit, rear axle saddle pack. i still need to get some lexan to cover things up but i'm loving it! low CG (although a little wide in the middle) and plenty of articulation. once i get the short nose pieces on this thing is going to look as awesome as it runs. a few pics on the workbench. hope to get on the rocks tomorrow.

and adam, i still haven't gotten my creeper out to a comp yet. still needing to research places in my area.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #60
RCC Addict

All I can say is wow!!! I thought about rasing the doors like you did, but I wasn't sure how it would look. That think just looks pissed off!!! Totaly awesome. That short nose looks a little diferent but not a bad temporary fix. I'll be sure to get those cut next week as soon as I get paid and send it out to you. I love it.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote