Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: jebster's creeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #81
RCC Addict

nice work jeb looks really good
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #82
RCC Addict

Looks good, if you're tryng to match the link color, I used Tamia Paint "Candy Lime Green" It's almost a perfect match. I don't think you'll get any closer then that color.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
Looks good, if you're tryng to match the link color, I used Tamia Paint "Candy Lime Green" It's almost a perfect match. I don't think you'll get any closer then that color.
for now i had another can of pactra rally green on hand and will be using that but i'm going to pick up some of the tamiya paint next time i run by the hobby store. i'm loving the flexibility of lexan panels on this chassis. all it costs to swap the look around is a couple zip ties!
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

on the rocks today and she is running fine. two things i need to change (in this order and pending wife's approval of adding to my money pit hobby ):
1. new tires & wheels. too many times were i could get the tires where i wanted them but the stock tires can't get enough grip. i know people have preferences but i'm curious if people have had good luck with the rovers on rubble like i run on. any better recommendations? also, the hexes in the stock wheels are starting to get a little rounded out and sloppy. gotta get some alloy wheels. tough choices: ckrc links, hr dark crystal, motoworx! wish i could get them all.
2. servo: funny enough there were times where the tires had too much traction for the servo to turn the wheels (not bound up). the htc 645 just doesn't have enough torque. i'm thinking htc 7950. anyone have issues with that servo? i'll probably use the 645 on the mini crawler i want to get my son (probaby exceed-rc maxstone 16) to upgrade from stock.

a couple pics:
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

I play in similar looks ares too you mate and love my rover's! I'm having the same dilema with getting new wheel's too! lol

As for the Servo's Got 2 7950's From Ebay for $280 (AUS) delivered too me, Brand new
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/ser...hs-7950th.html
They are awesome! I Haven't changed the power input either.
WICKED MQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICKED MQ View Post
I play in similar looks ares too you mate and love my rover's! I'm having the same dilema with getting new wheel's too! lol

As for the Servo's Got 2 7950's From Ebay for $280 (AUS) delivered too me, Brand new
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/ser...hs-7950th.html
They are awesome! I Haven't changed the power input either.
thanks for the input. always good to get an endorsement from someone running in the same type of terrain. so, for the servo, you're still running them off the receiver? no bec mod?

by the way, i've been reading up on your build thread and you rig has come a long way. looking good.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebster View Post
thanks for the input. always good to get an endorsement from someone running in the same type of terrain. so, for the servo, you're still running them off the receiver? no bec mod?

by the way, i've been reading up on your build thread and you rig has come a long way. looking good.
All good. Hope it helps.

I have a Castle BEC mine was glitching with out the BEC. Been awesome since!

Cheers Mate. Long way too go tho!
WICKED MQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:37 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

here's an issue. i still run the stock shocks on my creeper and they have been working fine, minus one shock. it seems to get some kind of hydraulic lock on occasion. if it is at rest for awhile it sticks in place but with just a little pressure it breaks the lock them moves fine until it is at rest again. i've pulled it apart multiple times and checked everything (rings, piston, shaft, etc) but can't seem to get rid of the problem. pretty annoying. i could see air in the shock or a leak causing this but that's not happening. suggestions?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:47 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Get some Losi Green Slime and lube the shock shafts and seals,,probably whats happening is the shaft is sticking in the seals.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
Get some Losi Green Slime and lube the shock shafts and seals,,probably whats happening is the shaft is sticking in the seals.
cool. i'll pick some up this weekend and give it a shot.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

looking for input from people that spend more time on the rocks than i do. how much steering angle do you get out of your rigs? i've been playing around with my steering and can't get much more than 35 degrees with my BTA mod before it starts to bind (shocks get in the way of drag link). i think i want more but can't without having to give up on my current BTA mod. i'm torn. i see where rmdm is getting 50+ and think the extra steering angle could be a good thing but i also like having all the steering tucked away behind the axle.
so, what is a fair amount of steering angle?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Jeff look at the last couple of pages in my build,,I specifically tell in there about the mods necessary to keep the 52* I get without wheel wideners,,its a matter of moving the links and shocks inboard with my BTA

Oh,,,lol and its RMDW
Old 09-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #93
RCC Addict

looking really good jebster , i run on everything from slickrock to dusty to really grippy rock and i love my rovers they work great . i too was starting to have issues with my hexes on the stock wheels starting to round out so i started looking in the for sale section and found my wheels for a really good price , just look at your options and pick one you like . we do have a local guy here that makes some very nice wheels he is in the vendor section under bad attitude machining
Old 09-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

52* Steering angle suspension mod

on the Creeper wagon,,,,

if you need more tech let me know.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:12 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

rmdW (sorry about the earlier typo) i have been reading up on your thread and think i'll have to take my drag link over the shocks like you. i was hoping to thread it between the uppers, lowers, shocks and axle pumpkin like i had before but the extra swing needed to get up to 50deg means i can't get a drag link to fit that way. it was fine at 35deg but that's it.
i'm also thinking about an xr10 type BTA mod. i'll try to draft up a pic to post.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:36 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

here is a pic of what i'm thinking. if i can find a way to mount the steering slider to the back of the axle i think the steering links would move right around the shock and give me the steering angle i want. now all i have to do is find the right pieces to do it!
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #97
RCC Addict

I'm new to the creeper and haven't finished building mine yet, but had an idea. Would it be a terrible thing to move the front shocks to the original mounting oints on the axle? It seems like it would halp gain some much needed clearance both for the tires and the tierod. Though it may just be moving them into the draglink area.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #98
RCC Addict

That steering is a good idea, I've actualy worked a similar idea on my rig but found that without the ckrc high steer knuckled the shocks are in the way. I never finished working that idea due to a busy schedule. If you look at tha xr10 you will see that the steering on it Is built just like that, only exception is that the servo still mounts forwards and attaches to the front of the knuckle.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #99
RCC Addict

interesting steering idea jeb will be following your idea to see how it pans out
Old 09-29-2010, 04:34 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
I'm new to the creeper and haven't finished building mine yet, but had an idea. Would it be a terrible thing to move the front shocks to the original mounting oints on the axle? It seems like it would halp gain some much needed clearance both for the tires and the tierod. Though it may just be moving them into the draglink area.
you are right in that having the shocks in the stock position would give a lot more room. the only problem i have with that is it would interfer with my servo plate, which covers them up. it might be something i change to get this idea working. i'll keep everyone posted.

i know others are trying out different steering setups also. that is the great thing about the creeper, lots of flexibility in how to set it up.