Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: viper's creeper build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #141
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo303d View Post
where did you get your blue shock stops?
they were in a pit box full of parts when i bought a group of vehicles and parts , they are aluminum and seem to be good quality i still have four more in my pitbox ( think they were for a rc10t3 or 4 ) now if they were just green
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #142
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper6171 View Post
they were in a pit box full of parts when i bought a group of vehicles and parts , they are aluminum and seem to be good quality i still have four more in my pitbox ( think they were for a rc10t3 or 4 ) now if they were just green
right that would be sweet if they were green!!!!! I like how they are not taking up much room the minumim material the better.
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #143
RCC Addict

yeah they are pretty basic but they give a little more weight down lower maybe i could remove the anodizing just leave them silver
Old 11-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #144
Rock Crawler

powder coat them green
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #145
RCC Addict

yeah i thought about that, maybe later
Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #146
RCC Addict

maybe i should get it all copper plated to match my wheels
Old 11-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Theres another relatively cheap way to test long term is to go by your local sign shop and buy some colored vinyl sheet,,,you can cut it out and fit it to the chassis itself or to the back side of lexan body panels or the body itself if you run a body.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #148
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
Theres another relatively cheap way to test long term is to go by your local sign shop and buy some colored vinyl sheet,,,you can cut it out and fit it to the chassis itself or to the back side of lexan body panels or the body itself if you run a body.
you mean wrap the parts in vinyl to see if it loks right
Old 11-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #149
I wanna be Dave

you dont even need to necessarily wrap them do the outside of each part that you readily see and see if you even like it before commiting to something you cant change easily.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #150
RCC Addict

sound like a good idea to me
Old 11-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #151
RCC Addict

oh i almost forgot while i was working on the creeper i had the chance to weigh the wheels they weigh in at 6.93 oz without tires and foams the tires and foams weigh in at 3.89oz so together it is 10.82 oz . i added 2 oz of lead weights to each front wheel to make it 12.82 oz we will see if that is enough i am approaching the weight slowly as i would like it to be as light as possible yet perform well .
Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #152
RCC Addict

well i finished fifth in sportsman today , still need to add some more weight but it was alot better . started on the 2.2 pro course was third of the way through took a tumble landed on my top so rocking back and forth to get on my tires when all of a sudden a loud snap was heard by everyone standing around ( day over ) front axle shaft right at the cv snapped like a twig . one positive note the rear solid axles are still going strong no bend twist or breakage so far .

and you all may shoot me but i am thinking about switching to an axial tranny and a slingshot chassis ( maybe still considering )
Old 11-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #153
RCC Addict

hey thomas any news on the new tranny case idea ?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #154
RCC Addict

well my comp season is over and just in time last comp i snapped my inner axle on the front . gonna look at some new axles for the next season , also need just a little more weight in the front and i think i will be set .
Old 11-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #155
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
okay question has anybody had a problem with aftermarket wheels not fitting on creeper hexes due to the little protrusion in the center of the hex ? do i cut it off or do i attempt drilling the center hole on the wheels bigger ?
just a small tip for anyone, the front wheel hex and pins from a traxxas stampede fit on the creepers minus the little stubs that get in the way of some aftermarket wheels...if you think that you can live with plastic hexes then the traxxas stampede wheel hexes are a good substitute (plus the traxxas hexes are a little wider to give your rig some with for help on side hilling. hope this helps someone.
Rolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #156
RCC Addict

thanks for the info rolly , i also discovered that the hexes on my scx10 are aluminum and they are thinner than the creeper ones so i may order an extra set of them
Old 11-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #157
RCC Addict

okay just a brief update for everybody , i am looking at a chassis and working with it's designer to see what it is going to involve to use it for the creeper ( so i may be driving with a company name on my rig ) still not sure about the tranny change still thinking . as it sits right now the creeper is in several pieces on my work table . future updates as they are availible.

also the axles have held up great , as soon as i can i will be posting a pdf file of the plans for the axles so anybody that wants to can have a set made .
Old 11-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #158
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
well i finished fifth in sportsman today , still need to add some more weight but it was alot better . started on the 2.2 pro course was third of the way through took a tumble landed on my top so rocking back and forth to get on my tires when all of a sudden a loud snap was heard by everyone standing around ( day over ) front axle shaft right at the cv snapped like a twig . one positive note the rear solid axles are still going strong no bend twist or breakage so far .

and you all may shoot me but i am thinking about switching to an axial tranny and a slingshot chassis ( maybe still considering )
the fact that venom and other vendors keeps ignoring the creepers transmission weaknesses, i dont blame you at all. i havent broken anything on my trans(and i only run my rig about 2 times a week) but i just dont have any piece of mind that it will hold up even with a simple 55t motor...and ive heard enough stories of gears stripping to make me worry, and i dont drive my rig as hard as some of you guys but i would like to without worry.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolly View Post
the fact that venom and other vendors keeps ignoring the creepers transmission weaknesses, i dont blame you at all. i havent broken anything on my trans(and i only run my rig about 2 times a week) but i just dont have any piece of mind that it will hold up even with a simple 55t motor...and ive heard enough stories of gears stripping to make me worry, and i dont drive my rig as hard as some of you guys but i would like to without worry.
Well,,I dont know where your worries come from but let me tell you this...Ive been beating on my Creeper with a 55t/19 tooth pinion on 3S for months....its better than any Axial trans Ive seen.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #160
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
Well,,I dont know where your worries come from but let me tell you this...Ive been beating on my Creeper with a 55t/19 tooth pinion on 3S for months....its better than any Axial trans Ive seen.
thats good to hear...i think a lot of my own worries come from the fact that alot of my rc experiences come from a few buggies and a couple of monster trucks. with that being a majority of my rc experiences its hard for me to shake the "metal gears are better" influence. its not fair to the creeper or to rock crawlers in general but i hope my creeper will prove me wrong.