Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: venom creeper comp build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #1

Default venom creeper comp build

hey guys im new to the forum and am just starting in crawling. ive been in the hobby itself for about 5 years now. so first off take into consideration im only 16 so i dont have a massive amount of money to spend which is why i plan on basically building this over the course of a couple years. so next, i have a venom creeper bone stock

im making a list here of items i think ill be using and please tell me what you think and what could be better

rc4wd punisher shafts
vanquish revolver dh rims
weights for rims
proline chisel or hb rovers (running on mild sharp rocks)
havnt decided on the offset for rims
new shocks havnt decided
dig unit

the list will probly get changed as i go but please whatever tips or thoughs you have on this setup would be appreciated.

thanks for the help guys
mambabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
RCC Addict

You don't mention electronics. I'd say the focus should be on an them, rather than replacing things you already have with the kit. Other than tires, I'd say you can skip the rest and have a fairly competitive crawler.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamus View Post
Other than tires, I'd say you can skip the rest and have a fairly competitive crawler.
Dig is awesome but can be added later
WICKED MQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Very true, as well as the other things, replace as you have the funds. For a younger guy on a budget, I think getting it rolling should be the priority though. He didn't mention though, so maybe electronics are already covered.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambabear View Post
hey guys im new to the forum and am just starting in crawling. ive been in the hobby itself for about 5 years now. so first off take into consideration im only 16 so i dont have a massive amount of money to spend which is why i plan on basically building this over the course of a couple years. so next, i have a venom creeper bone stock

im making a list here of items i think ill be using and please tell me what you think and what could be better

rc4wd punisher shafts
weights for rims
new shocks havnt decided
dig unit

the list will probly get changed as i go but please whatever tips or thoughs you have on this setup would be appreciated.

thanks for the help guys
hey man im 15 im running a creeper in comps iv been to three comps
get traxxas shafts there cheaper and easy to get the stock shocks are good with some tunning and im running the 4VP chassis witch i love some much tunning

Hot Racing lock outs
knucles and caster blocks
and a hand made bta mine runns good just need more time iv only had it for 4 months
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambabear View Post

rc4wd punisher shafts
weights for rims
new shocks havnt decided
dig unit
OK,,first off welcome to the forum and Crawling.

You dont need Punisher shafts,,,way too heavy and overkill for the Creeper. Traxxas steel yokes and Traxxas long truck half shafts wil do the job just fine.

Vanquish wheels are nice,,but if you are on a budget there are plenty of Aluminum wheels out there for a lot less. Try CKRCcrawlers.com for some Link series wheels. Get some self adhesive wheel weights form the local tire store. They come in 3oz sticks. Because of the way Creeper knuckles and axles are made you need the wheels with an AXIAL offset.

White Dot Rovers are the way to go for just about any surfaces. I also recommend a set of good foams for them too...stockers arent that good and you need the tires planted and filled out but soft in order to make them conform to the rocks.

The stock shocks are good shocks if you take your time and build them well the first time around.

DIG IS A CRUTCH. Learn to drive the rig based on what its capable of doing out of the box. I compete without dig and run in the Sportsman series here in Colorado. On Saturday we had a local comp and the Sportsman drivers were showing the 2.2 Pro's where the best lines were.

Last couple of things from me is this....you now have this thread, stick with it,,if you have questions post them here, if you have made progress on your rig, post it here. One thread per person is much easier to follow.

And,,if you havent already,,,,READ. Especially the RMDW Tips & Tricks thread STICKY at the top of the Creeper forum index. There are several people in here who have good working well built machines and they have documented everything you need to know.

Let us know if you need help,,thats what we are here for.

Thomas @ RMDesignworks & the Creeper Crew
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Have to agree with Thomas on the Traxxas drive shafts and steel yokes. I was looknig at the Punisher shafts as well til someone pointed me towards the Traxxas ones. Bought a pair and have never looked back. For a nice set of Al. rims take a look at the Newage wheels. Running a set on my Creeper and love them.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
RCC Addict

DIG IS A CRUTCH. Learn to drive the rig based on what its capable of doing out of the box. I compete without dig and run in the Sportsman series here in Colorado. On Saturday we had a local comp and the Sportsman drivers were showing the 2.2 Pro's where the best lines were.

yes it is better to run with out dig in the beginning but you know Thomas you have 53 degrees of steering not all of us have that im at 44
Old 10-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post

yes it is better to run with out dig in the beginning but you know Thomas you have 53 degrees of steering not all of us have that im at 44
Regardless of how much steering you have,,you need to drive the rig based on what it will do. if you automatically go to DIG youll not learn what the rig is really capable of doing,,and I ONLY have 52* not 53. lol.

Using the dig all the time just takes away from setting the next line you need to crawl. Crawling without dig forces you to think further ahead on course. Use less mechanics,,more thought.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #10

*update*
traxxas shafts

i have a brushed setup as of now but its not novak or anything its just a 50t venom motor just to get it rolling

servo:definatly moving up to something i still need a idea for that.

umm lets see

vanquish rims on the mind not first priority
wheels leaning to rovers after asking some freinds
weights: 3oz weight packs sounds cheaper and more effective than 274 for 8 2 or 3 oz weights.

another thing i forgot to mention is battery i was thinking saddles on front axle or a small 1000-1500 mah 2s lipo

still gonna either buy new shocks or replace cause i probly didnt build them perfect to begin with

can i get a idea for a future crawler system thats fairly nice
i know tekin or novak but thats almost a 400$ system so yea

im running a dx3s 2.4 so im good with reciever

thanks again guys and let me know if you got anymore ideas'

ohh how much are the hr straight axle alum parts and were cna i get more stuff like that for my crawler

thank guys
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

HR Rear Lock outs
HR C-Hub
HR Knuckles
Might want to take a look at say a CC Sidewinder with an Integy Lathe motor or an Integy V10. Also look at a CC BEC. For the Rovers use a pair of Double Deuce Nova Foam

Last edited by Wicked Klown; 10-18-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
RCC Addict

servo i would go with a hitec hs-7954sh it has plenty of touque and its only $100 and you wont need to replace it
for rims i would get proline titus because there cheap and you can get them with 8ox in them right out of the box
future system i would get a rooster system great and a 3s lipo cutoff so you can run 3s if you run lipo
shocks go with integy of traxxas or losi for shocks
what wicked said for upgraids
Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I know i'm shamless... but might I sugest checking out my 4VP chassis if you prefer the bodiless look. It's quite amazing and the next version will be out in the next month.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
RCC Addict

i want the new one already i dont want to be left behind
i have the same chassis i really like it looks cool too and you dont get hung up on body mounts
but sorry abam the vulture is worth lookin at too but im with adam on this one the 4VP V3
Old 10-19-2010, 04:37 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Klown View Post
Have to agree with Thomas on the Traxxas drive shafts and steel yokes. I was looknig at the Punisher shafts as well til someone pointed me towards the Traxxas ones. Bought a pair and have never looked back. For a nice set of Al. rims take a look at the Newage wheels. Running a set on my Creeper and love them.
i'll try not hijacking the thread much. wicked, do you have a measurement on the beadlock rims for these wheels? they are a good price but the beadlocks are pretty plain. i'm curious if ax10 beadlocks would have the same screw pattern.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Jeff the Berg rings and AX rings should be the same,,mine are interchangable.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
Jeff the Berg rings and AX rings should be the same,,mine are interchangable.
cool, thanks for the info.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #18

yea ive been seing everyone with the sidewinder esc on there rig. and guess what my hpi blitz which is a peice of junk had a cc sidewinder 5700. yea but im starting to get a small amount of money so i think first will be the rovers.

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo

isk what to talk about so im off

adios amigos
Old 10-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #19

ohh!!!!! 1 more thing how do i post pictures cause i would realy like for you guys to see my rig right now so please help!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

You can either use your own website if you have one or a place like ImageShack. Then when posting use the [img] tags