RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Venom Creeper (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/)
-   -   shock rebuild (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/281660-shock-rebuild.html)

daniel15fl 11-18-2010 07:10 PM

shock rebuild

ok so i searched the forum and i cant figure out how to correctly rebuild a crawler shock to get maximum rebound can some one give me some tips or tricks on how to do so? i only know how to do big bore 1/8th scale shocks but same method isn't working for crawler shocks

rmdesignworks 11-18-2010 07:13 PM

what kind of shocks are you building and what is the internal and exteranl set ups...springs and oils etc?

daniel15fl 11-18-2010 07:18 PM

stock shocks for the creeper, losi gold spring's dont remember spring rate and 45wt shock oil in the rear and 30 front... the rear feel really good but front have no rebound and feel like S*%T and i dont have the internal springs i took them out

daniel15fl 11-18-2010 07:29 PM

and i might put 45wt shock fluid back in the front shocks

rmdesignworks 11-18-2010 07:37 PM

Gold springs are too soft for the front to carry the motor..thats why I run Whites all the way around...Im not keen on 45wt oil either but if it works in the rear then leave it but change the front springs to Whites or Pinks.

Losi Gold Springs are the softest ones they make at 1.4 rate. Look at the chart I have on page 1 of my Tips Thread.

daniel15fl 11-18-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmdesignworks (Post 2749799)
Gold springs are too soft for the front to carry the motor..thats why I run Whites all the way around...Im not keen on 45wt oil either but if it works in the rear then leave it but change the front springs to Whites or Pinks.

Losi Gold Springs are the softest ones they make at 1.4 rate. Look at the chart I have on page 1 of my Tips Thread.

so what about silver? i have a set of them but they are kinda stiff

rmdesignworks 11-18-2010 07:49 PM

OK,,I recommended Whites or Pinks. All you can do from this point is either try the Silvers or try some Whites or Pinks. You also have to consider preload for the springs and the piston holes too...if the holes are too small for the oil you use then the shocks will take forever to rebound. If the holes are too big then the shocks will not have decent damping. Another thing to consider is the shock angle that its mounted at..a steeper angle will result in more lift per inch of rebound while a lesser angle will result in less lift per inch of rebound

daniel15fl 11-18-2010 07:59 PM

kool thanx for the info ill try everything out

rmdesignworks 11-18-2010 08:06 PM

there ya go,,trial and error is always the best teacher unless you are dealing with explosives

venomcrawlerdud 11-18-2010 08:48 PM

well ive just been woundering to, im running axial alumion shock with 50weight oil and the the stock springs that came on them in the rear and some soft silver springs from the ckrc stage 2 kit and in side the shocks i have the 2 hole pistons (i also have 3 hole pistons and 1 hole pistons to change too). what should i use for this setup?

rmdesignworks 11-18-2010 08:54 PM

so you are running the grey Axial springs?

daniel15fl 11-18-2010 10:18 PM

no they are some silver springs that came off a clodzilla i had laying around, i put the gold ones back on cuz the silver made it too springy im gonna get a set of white and pinks sometime this week,,,, thanx for the help and 45wt oil is working good for me

daniel15fl 11-18-2010 10:19 PM

lol i didnt even see some one else posted hahaha

venomcrawlerdud 11-19-2010 01:02 PM

well i dont now who your asking but no im running the the axial silver springs on the front and some black axial springs on the back

hexonox 11-19-2010 05:45 PM

I'm running axial reds in the front and whites in the rear with 35wt losi fluid all around. Also made the piston holes slightly larger with a pin vise drill set. The biggest problem I've found with these shocks is the same I've had with any plastic bodied shock; is that the shock body flexes or that the upper and lower caps don't seat properly and they suck air. Which then leads to air bubbles which defeat the purpose of bleeding the shock to begin with. The best thing to do is get some aluminum shocks. I recently found that Fastlane Machine makes a direct replacement shock body in aluminum. Haven't tested them yet as they have not arrived. Using teflon tape works sometimes (just don't get any of it inside the shock). hope this helps.