RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Venom Creeper (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/)
-   -   28's Creeper (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/293961-28s-creeper.html)

28offroader 04-27-2012 05:00 PM

Took the rig out to a couple different spots and the new spots kicked it's butt. Rig has too much articulation. I've since limited the shocks but the rear diff gave so can't truly test it untill it's fixed.
I had my diffs JB welded and some of the spider gear teeths snapped off, jb weld held together, never expected that happening. I have the Venom heavy duty diff cases and lockers on order cause I can't find the flm's for sale anywhere.

I managed to get a vid taken, no way I getting out of the last hole! lol..

Vid...
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...r/85d9b687.mp4

winnerone23 04-27-2012 06:40 PM

Re: 28's Creeper

Nice spot! I got to crawl a new spot today too! Pics goin up soon. What motor size an Pinion are you running? Looks like good wheel speed. I have to get some video up, but I don't see how to do that from my phone? Any help on that?

28offroader 04-27-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnerone23 (Post 3705912)
Nice spot! I got to crawl a new spot today too! Pics goin up soon. What motor size an Pinion are you running? Looks like good wheel speed. I have to get some video up, but I don't see how to do that from my phone? Any help on that?

Thanks, I get pretty lucky finding good spots around here.
I'm running the Tekin fxr combo with the 35t pro motor, stock 15 tooth pinion.
For video I use the photobucket app.

winnerone23 04-27-2012 07:33 PM

Ok cool, I'm running the fx-r as well with a 45t an 15t Pinion on 3s. I couldn't imagine haven a 35t! My buddy runs a 35t an it looks like a race truck.. lol.... I'm also running Photobucket. Haven seen a video option tho. Do you take video using the app or using ur phone an putting it on thru Photobucket?

28offroader 04-27-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnerone23 (Post 3705983)
Ok cool, I'm running the fx-r as well with a 45t an 15t Pinion on 3s. I couldn't imagine haven a 35t! My buddy runs a 35t an it looks like a race truck.. lol.... I'm also running Photobucket. Haven seen a video option tho. Do you take video using the app or using ur phone an putting it on thru Photobucket?

Yeah, the 35t is quicker than you need but then again having the wheel speed helped in a few spots. In a couple spots I was wanted more torque and a little slower crawl so I just ordered a 14 and 13 tooth pinion to try out.

I take video on my phone. In the photobucket app under 'upload media' it shows 'choose existing' or 'choose camera', I click choose existing and it opens up my camera role. On the iPhone the pictures and videos both show up under camera roll and I just click on the video and it uploads it.

venomcrawlerdud 04-27-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnerone23 (Post 3705983)

i use to run a holmes hobbies 30t torquemaster pro with a 19tooth pinion on a 3s. burn up the comm and had to take it out as i over geared it. the weard part also is i know the guy that john holmes bought all his winding and biulding equitement :shock:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28offroader (Post 3706044)
Yeah, the 35t is quicker than you need but then again having the wheel speed helped in a few spots. In a couple spots I was wanted more torque and a little slower crawl so I just ordered a 14 and 13 tooth pinion to try out.

I take video on my phone. In the photobucket app under 'upload media' it shows 'choose existing' or 'choose camera', I click choose existing and it opens up my camera role. On the iPhone the pictures and videos both show up under camera roll and I just click on the video and it uploads it.

wish i would of switched to a lower gearing before i took my 30t motor out.

28offroader 04-27-2012 09:35 PM

30t with a 19t pinion..., that must have been crazy quick.
Everybody says those holmes hobbies motors are the best..., just curious, how was the torque on it running that combo?

venomcrawlerdud 04-27-2012 11:17 PM

it was really good, even with the gearing being that high. i went to a 15 tooth pinion tord the end of its life and the torque picked up a ton, but by that time the motor was to far gone from being used with a 19t :cry:

winnerone23 04-28-2012 05:53 AM

Great info on the bucket app to do video! I'll be testing that later today! Maybe not with the creeper till I get stand offs,( that some cool a$$ dude offered to send me) for my big bores. So maybe the scx-10, with its freshly painted xj body. Once I get it picked up from the guy doin it...

My buddy runs a 35t in his ax-10, its wicked fast! A 30t hh had to have been crazy! I dropped a 45t with a 15t an I could use mine for a trail rig not just a crawler.. lol.. I'm not even sure I Like the 35t I have in my scaler An I run that on a 15t Pinion as well.. its torqueee tho! Both are integy.. I haven made the jump to hand wound yet.. HH someday.. either a good deal on one or one of mine burns up or dies on me.

rmdesignworks 04-28-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28offroader (Post 3705771)
Took the rig out to a couple different spots and the new spots kicked it's butt. Rig has too much articulation. I've since limited the shocks but the rear diff gave so can't truly test it untill it's fixed.
I had my diffs JB welded and some of the spider gear teeths snapped off, jb weld held together, never expected that happening. I have the Venom heavy duty diff cases and lockers on order cause I can't find the flm's for sale anywhere.

I managed to get a vid taken, no way I getting out of the last hole! lol..

Vid...
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...r/85d9b687.mp4

Just make sure you check the end of my Tips thread about shimming the Venom lockers in the diff carriers...they have some slop to them.

28offroader 04-28-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmdesignworks (Post 3706447)
Just make sure you check the end of my Tips thread about shimming the Venom lockers in the diff carriers...they have some slop to them.

I seen that, but thanks for the heads up. I just recieved the parts today and will be installing tomorrow. We'll see if there tolerances have improved or not.

Went to RCX today and was hoping to find a HPI/HB booth with Hot Bodies new crawler but no luck....not even a HPI booth. Bummer...
Almost walked out with a new XR10 but decided against it for now. Settled on some new Turnigy batts for the Creeper.

28offroader 04-29-2012 05:31 PM

Got out crawling again today with an Axial Honcho and Wraith on brushless power. Creeper did great and went everywhere and more than the Axials. Towards the end of the day I tried a line I knew I should'nt have and granded the driveline somewhere...., I think it's in the trans. I'll tear it apart later tonight and see what it is. I have spares of everything except the ring and pinions so hopefulky that is'nt it.

28offroader 04-30-2012 02:35 PM

Found the culprit, striped gear in trans..
Also found a couple small chunks missing on the rear ring gear. Eventually it'll need replacing but it's okay for now.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...r/8cde074c.jpg

My rear truss screws finally stripped through the case. Once Thomas has the tubes ready I'll be a buyer, zip ties for now.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...r/1cf68279.jpg

I went to install the Venom heavy duty cases and lockers and noticed the cases came with lockers also. I bought lockers seperate cause in all the heavy duty case descriptions it does'nt mention it came with lockers. Did I get a bonus or do they all come with them??
Edit....nevermind, Venoms site shows it comes with lockers but I've yet to see a different site that says it does..
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...r/643cf6d3.jpg

jojo303d 05-01-2012 01:04 AM

[QUOTE=28offroader;3709764]Found the culprit, striped gear in trans..
Also found a couple small chunks missing on the rear ring gear. Eventually it'll need replacing but it's okay for now.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...r/8cde074c.jpg

I had the same problem. my advice run the gears dry no grerase. I havnt had a problem since. Heard this from the guys @ venom from an email.

winnerone23 05-01-2012 04:33 AM

Good info JoJo... Now that you said that, I didn't have any problems with mine till a couple weeks after I greased mine.. plus I over tighten my screw up thru my tranny that holds my skid plate on... I'm not sure that was it but it added to it

jojo303d 05-01-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnerone23 (Post 3710814)
Good info JoJo... Now that you said that, I didn't have any problems with mine till a couple weeks after I greased mine.. plus I over tighten my screw up thru my tranny that holds my skid plate on... I'm not sure that was it but it added to it

no prob winner, dont think that it would do much with the skid screws only if it punctured through and the screw hit the gears. seen that.

28offroader 05-01-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojo303d (Post 3710751)
I had the same problem. my advice run the gears dry no grerase. I havnt had a problem since. Heard this from the guys @ venom from an email.

New gears went back in with no grease.
Thanks for the heads up.

CREEPERBOB 05-01-2012 10:04 AM

Yes the Creeper tranny gears are made from a self lubricating plastic, Just keep the rubber plug in place always. Dirt is the killer, right after to tight of pinion adjustment.

winnerone23 05-01-2012 10:25 AM

JoJo, yeah that's what happen.. the ball spacer I put in when I switched to the xrv2 didn't have a ring around it like the traxxas ones an it sunk into the tranny plastic a little.. problem solved, new spacers an new gears.. while back.

jojo303d 05-01-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28offroader (Post 3711090)
New gears went back in with no grease.
Thanks for the heads up.

no prob just here to help.