Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: 28's Creeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Went ahead and countersunk the front truss, sits much better now.

Got the chassis, ota steering, and truss installed. Had to add a spacer on the drag link to get the clearance over the battery that I wanted.

Links and shocks next...
28offroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Default Re: 28's Creeper

looks good bro, how u liken it so far?
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomcrawlerdud View Post
looks good bro, how u liken it so far?
To be honest, it's actually kickin my butt and I'm not diggin it, lol.
I guess I thought I could build this up in one good day but that's not the case. Everytime I turn around something is fighting me or I need to figure out how to do something or what to use. I cut the rear lower links 1-1/8" shorter and broke the drill bit inside when trying to tap it.....figured no biggie I'll just use the old drag link instead...then ended up busting the tap into the other link. Had to make a run to pick up another tap and some 1/4" aluminum tube. All this may have been for nothing as my rear driveline is too long for shorter links. I shortened them up as much as I could but they're still too long. So now I'll be making links (again) closer to the stocker lengths.
Only good thing so far is me being in the hobby for 14+ yrs, I have a lot of spare screws, nuts, rod ends for spacers,shims, etc. I just don't have any crawler specific stuff or crawler knowledge and have to figure it all out with what I do have. Guess I should've done a lot more reading and researching before the build, now I'm trying to look through everybody's thread today, lol...... But I'm determined to have this done on Monday.
Rant off, lol... I bet you're sorry you asked, haha..
Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #64
RCC Addict

lol, sounds like its been more of tool problem than anything. for the rear driveline you are going to have to cut the rear driveshaft down to make it work with the shorter links. for right now this is what i can think of to help ya out. but if u come across any other problems feel free to ask
Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
lol, sounds like its been more of tool problem than anything. for the rear driveline you are going to have to cut the rear driveshaft down to make it work with the shorter links. for right now this is what i can think of to help ya out. but if u come across any other problems feel free to ask
Yeah, I shortened the rear driveline as much as I could. They're the aluminum 3 racing drivelines so there's not much you can do to make them shorter. I know I could go with the traxxas set up but I want to try and make these work.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #66
RCC Addict

ahhh, okay im running the traxxas driveline so i can shorten them a lot more
Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Finally, got the main truck built. At a later date I'll shorten the rear more as it measure just a tad over 12-1/2" from axle to axle. Still need to finish the electronics install, will probly do that tonight.

Here's how it sits....

Fully extended...

And lowered....

I need to limit the shocks, a little too much flex....

And max steering angle...
Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Finished up with the electronics and built another protector for the esc capacitor. Ran it a little bit in the garage and I have 3 problems I'm hopeing you guys can help me out with....but first a couple pics of it finished up.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

First problem that I have is the tt is really bad, 10 times worse than ever before.

2nd...the steering drag link has a lot of play (front to back) of the rig. How can I get it to be more solid but still allow for movement at the ball ends?

3rd...I have a lot of front axle movement side to side. Easily a 1/2" either way for 1" total movement.

Figure problems 1 and 3 are in the link set-ups. Could you guys point me in the right direction. I can get better or more specific pics up if need be.
Thanks in advance for any help..
Old 03-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #70
RCC Addict

the only way to figur out problems 1 and 3 is to give us a some better pics of the side plate on the chassis and the link mounts on the trusses.

problem 2 is easly fixed by ziptieing the drag link to the tie rod
Old 03-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Dalton's right about Problem 2...

My first question about 1 and 3 is this...is the TT lifting the tires or just rolling the chassis?
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

A couple things Id say are:
Add 1/4" spacers between the lower front links and the chassis.--->problem 3
Move the rear upper stays to the inner set of holes to increase the angle between the uppers to 2-4*.
The link tabs on the BTL plate are generally meant for those that dont have trusses...I have my front lowers in the lower hole outside of the stay and uppers are in the upper holes on to the inside...for the front links the separation needs to be greater at the chassis than it is at the axle...check that separation.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
Dalton's right about Problem 2...

My first question about 1 and 3 is this...is the TT lifting the tires or just rolling the chassis?
K, #2 seems easy enough, thanks guys..

Just rolling into the throttle it's just rolling the chassis. Full throttle lifts the front right tire....reverse full throttle almost stands up on it's end.
I know the incline board is'nt the end all set-up decider but before I was getting 61 degrees now I'm lifting the tires at 56...so a 5 degree change in the wrong direction seems like a lot.

I'll try your suggestions and see what happens. I'll post some better pics of set up here in a minute.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Better pics ...

Old 03-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Ive got some fresh pics of my current set up ad Ill load them into my thread so you can see my preferred set up...

One thing to keep in mind, is that the XRv2 is by design a soft chassis...its designed for flex and settling...my rig will settle and make off camber uphill turns that have made some of my co-drivers drop their jaws. I am working on an idea for an anti-roll bar for the rear only since the rear links are so short.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ive got some fresh pics of my current set up ad Ill load them into my thread so you can see my preferred set up...

One thing to keep in mind, is that the XRv2 is by design a soft chassis...its designed for flex and settling...my rig will settle and make off camber uphill turns that have made some of my co-drivers drop their jaws. I am working on an idea for an anti-roll bar for the rear only since the rear links are so short.

if you'd link RM i can work on the rear anti roll bar. i got my sc10 roll bar set that i dont use no more?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
if you'd link RM i can work on the rear anti roll bar. i got my sc10 roll bar set that i dont use no more?
Youre welcome to try your hand at anything Dalton...just remember you arent going for a true anti-roll bar but instead a compensation for TT...you dont want to limit the rear flex too much...
Old 03-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Quote:
Youre welcome to try your hand at anything Dalton...just remember you arent going for a true anti-roll bar but instead a compensation for TT...you dont want to limit the rear flex too much...
okay then, ill give it a try and see what i come up with. will post pics later
Old 03-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I checked out your pics and set my front links up like so. The axle movement from side to side is hardly there at all now, maybe an 1/8....if that. But then I had axle roll when the front end would compress....( is yours also?) Did'nt like that so I installed the front upper links back to the ota plate and took the spacer out at the chassis....much better. Axle roll is gone and axle side to side movement is gone. You da man..!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Moved the rear links and the tt is better but I'm still not happy with it. Being a crawler newb and not ever been out and seen others I'm just wondering if I'm asking too much out of a shafty? I was able to get a short video of it today in action....figured you guys being able to see what was going on could tell me what's good and what's not. So any and all input on it's handling is greatly appreciated.

Video...
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...r/d247d4b2.mp4