RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Venom Creeper (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/)
-   -   Finally got it mostly together! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/302088-finally-got-mostly-together.html)

Charlie-III 05-10-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenosegoat (Post 3085518)
ps the the btl steering kicks butt, just need a better quality servo. Any recomendations for less than 50 bucks?

Yep,.....used.........:lmao::lmao:"thumbsup""thumb sup"

At a minimum, I would do a HiTec 7955tg, for a little more, you can jump up."thumbsup"

Shawn's SS 05-11-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenosegoat (Post 3086686)
Ya I figure by the time I order spare parts it would be cheaper to just order another Creeper! Good to hear on the JB diffs. I cant find the Flm lockers that people on here talk about- guess they really are hard to find. I was going to weld it but I'm afraid of the alignment with the axle shafts so I'll give the Jb a shot and I'll have two complete spare axles for parts soon! I might send my buddy up in Denver one of the diff assemblies and have him make me some lockers out of alluminum that will fill the housing. If he has time to do it I'll have him make me a batch and get them out there. He runs a cnc mill up there and has made some killer wheels so I know he can do it, just finding the time ya know.

The weather was perfect! If I can get it back together in time we're goin back this coming weekend-- before its 117 out there! RRRRGGG just means its time to head to Co for some rocks! lol:ror:

I just ordered my lockers directly from FLM. I suggest email, they didnt answer the phone.

bluenosegoat 05-12-2011 05:07 AM

I will be keeping an eye on the classifieds for a servo- thanks for the servo sugestions. I just looked at the FLM lockers on their website and they look really nice. For 12 a piece not a bad deal at all but no link to purchase online. I will see how the JB diff holds up first though. I just prefer to make my own mods. Just waiting for the kit to show up for some axle shafts!

Shawn's SS 05-12-2011 04:47 PM

Yes no online purchase from them. Phone didn't work either. Email was quick and easy. I paid with paypal also.

bluenosegoat 05-12-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn's SS (Post 3090168)
Yes no online purchase from them. Phone didn't work either. Email was quick and easy. I paid with paypal also.

Nice! thanks for the info. I'm also looking at their alluminum shock bodies- good price and they look great, just havent seen anyone running them yet.

bluenosegoat 05-15-2011 12:49 PM

I got my new kit and got around to replacing my axle to find I also twisted the front Traxxas drive shaft! Man I must've been really bound up to cause all this damage! -Exploded the diff spider gears, broke an axle and twisted a driveshaft all in one run! Its back together now though but have to wait till next weekend to see how she holds up.
I got an updated kit with the pin locks for the drive shafts and the axles so thats pretty cool. Nice pieces too. I have lots of spare parts now!:ror:

CREEPERBOB 05-15-2011 02:11 PM

Spare parts are great, where did ya order the kit from?

viper6171 05-15-2011 10:40 PM

glad to see it's coming along goat "thumbsup"

bluenosegoat 05-16-2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB (Post 3093875)
Spare parts are great, where did ya order the kit from?

I ordered from CKRC. 113 shipped to my door in 4 days time. Not a bad deal at all. Lots of hardware and parts and alot of it will go into my re-vamp of my Crawler King based truck. Just glad the kit was so cheap I would spend nearly that much just replaceing the few items I destroyed.

bluenosegoat 05-24-2011 06:14 PM

Well we had a great outing - my cousin providing entertainment by falling down the mountain into a palaverde! (only hurt his pride) and the best part is his GF got it on video and he didnt even bend his antenae! ( I think years of drinking beer helped with that skill) Trying to get the vid up so hopefully soon.
The JB welded diffs performed flawlessly and we had no breakage. Gonna start working on my other truck soon- it will be a Creeper with at least one Crawler King axle- an axial tranny and traxxas shocks- you get the idea- hodge podge it all together and see how it works! I need to see how different the final drive ratios are between the Ck axle and the Creeper to see if I can mix them.
Any way hope to get the video up soon and some pics of the progress on the new creeper/?

bluenosegoat 07-07-2011 06:11 PM

I have put quite a few runs on the creeper lately- try to get out once a week when possible. This is the most recent little video I've put together
http://youtu.be/s1Fke5l9wwE
Some more Papago park at my testing grounds! I have been having trouble with my Hobby wing esc with constant throttle delay and I am done with the cogging. Granted the cogging isnt that bad but I want smooooth power! The tekin fxr and 55t are on the way. The JB weld diffs are holding up very well so after the Tekin install I think I just need a stronger steering servo. So I hope to be ready for some comps when people start coming outside again! I had 120.4 out back on saturday! Hit the rocks at 530am and be home by 9 and in the pool!
Oh and the video isnt the best just a little show and I was having an off day- usually make those lines smoother.

CREEPERBOB 07-07-2011 06:50 PM

COOL VIDEO, LOOKS LIKE YA GOT IT SETUP "thumbsup"
MAN , I KNOW I'M READY FOR FALL TOO :twisted:

bluenosegoat 07-08-2011 04:21 PM

Thanks Bob! I am very happy with the venom Creeper and its performance. With just a little tweaking its an awesome machine! I have been fiddling with my other truck but just cant get the same performance out of it. My buddies I think are soon to join the Creeper Wagon ride! They get a little upset when I creep right past them! Always a good time though!

bluenosegoat 07-11-2011 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the new fxr and 55t motor in and out to the rocks today. Super happy with the esc! Only problem is at times my servo glitches- I've never had this problem before on this truck. Thinking I might need some capcitors on the motor since it didnt come with any.
I use a 2.4 radio with a tp servo and a cc bec wired to the servo on 3s lipo so I dont think this has anything to do with loss of power from the bec. Have to dig in the parts boxs and see if I have some caps around.

jojo303d 07-11-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenosegoat (Post 3181642)
Got the new fxr and 55t motor in and out to the rocks today. Super happy with the esc! Only problem is at times my servo glitches- I've never had this problem before on this truck. Thinking I might need some capcitors on the motor since it didnt come with any.
I use a 2.4 radio with a tp servo and a cc bec wired to the servo on 3s lipo so I dont think this has anything to do with loss of power from the bec. Have to dig in the parts boxs and see if I have some caps around.

Capacitor on the fxr and a bec

bluenosegoat 07-12-2011 08:08 AM

Ya I have the cap on the esc- double checked to make sure I installed it correctly and its all good. The cc bec I have never had problems with. Maybe I need to break in the motor properly? I havent broke in any of my crawler motors- didnt really see a purpose in it to go so slow with them- figured the rpms of normal running would do it for me. Gonna dig for motor caps in a bit and see if that helps.

bluenosegoat 07-12-2011 11:20 AM

So I tried various things to determine where my glitching is coming from and when I eliminate the CC BEC and use the tekins power for the servo there is no glitching at all. Hmmm I would like to use my CC Bec but it doesnt appear to like the Fxr for some reason. If I'm not mistaken the Fxr puts out 6v @3amps so thats not bad but I hope to be getting a hitec 7955 from a member soon and want max power.

I put caps on the motor also and that did not help- definately the bec. I just dont understand because its wired the same way I've always used it with both brushless and brushed and never had a problem. (only signal wire from servo to rx and power direct from the Bec)
and yes I tried different servos also- digital and non with the same results- bypass cc bec and all is well.

Any help would be great!

bluenosegoat 07-13-2011 06:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So I removed my CC Bec for now. I read that hooking up the ground along with signal wire might help but I'll wait till I get a new servo before messing with it.
I did however improve my steering setup- at least I hope- rocks will tell!
Shortened up the draglink and put a "stabilizer" on for the tie rod. On the bench it works great- have to get it out again soon and see .

bluenosegoat 07-17-2011 07:35 PM

Did a lot of crawlin this weekend! I did figure out my bec problem thanks to the forum. Just ran the signal wire and ground to the rx and no more glitching. Good thing because the fxr was shuting down on me when the steering got even the slightest bind. Very anoying but found with a 2s it was fine- strange?
Meet up with some guys PARC at Papago today and finally got to see what others are running! They all drove built xr10's. Very impressive and I got the chance to drive one. The dig is great, might have to get one for the creeper. I am happy to report that my truck took virtualy every line the built xr10's did but them having dig on the down hills was a major advantage.
Hope my servo shows up early this week so I have a good reason to go crawling again!

jojo303d 07-17-2011 07:59 PM

I had the same problem need that ground signal wire and it stoped glitching you run a futaba radio?