RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Venom Creeper (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/)
-   -   Finally got it mostly together! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/302088-finally-got-mostly-together.html)

bluenosegoat 02-25-2011 05:26 PM

Finally got it mostly together!
 
So this is my new Creeper. I am still waiting for some parts from RMDW (should be checkin the mail box now!) but its operational. I also am waiting for some stuff from Venom because the kit I got was missing/wrong parts.
So far-
EZ run brushless set up, 3s 2200 lipos (my main stay), Castle bec (programed at 6v-thanks Holmes) to a TP servo. I stole the rovers from my CK and put the ridgelines on in place- I dig the way they look with the Jeep body! I made links for the front so they are longer-the furthest mounting hole- and bent for shock clearance. I need to make some better spacers at the shocks lower mounts. Just using fuel line for now. I've only driven it in the kitchen and it has bad TT. I am hoping the rear link/battery plate from RMDW works out-gotta go check and see if the items are here!
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/...h_100_1396.jpghttp://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/...h_100_1398.jpghttp://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/...h_100_1397.jpghttp://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/...h_100_1395.jpg

CREEPERBOB 02-25-2011 06:18 PM

Looking good man, and yes when you get those rear links raised and spread apart you will be amazed that the tt will disappear. That was the most amazing hop up i did with the biggest improvement.

bluenosegoat 02-26-2011 08:02 AM

Definately good to hear! I've messed around alot with the rear links on my other truck and got rid of the TT and I know from reading this forum that the stock link configuration is all wrong. I hope the rear link mount shows up today! Did you do anything different up front for the links to help with the TT or is the rear mount enough to keep the front planted?
I'm afraid to take it out today with out the pin lox from RMDW. Last thing I need is broken axles! I've waited this long may as well wait till all my stuff shows up- Dang the snail mail! . I never did get an email that my order was received by RMDW, money's gone but no confirmation? I'm sure its on its way- I keep telling myself "have patience" but I just dont listen to that fool! LOL

CREEPERBOB 02-26-2011 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah thomas is really covered up but he said this will all be coming together soon. as for the front links, it helps if they are moved to the outside of the mount tabs with a 15mm spacer between them to support them. also if you move your front shocks inboard to get max steering you shoud build sub links to support those mounts also, i have added a pic of that mod. notice that the shock as well as the links are inboard of the mount tabs so they need the support.


Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenosegoat (Post 2952899)
Definately good to hear! I've messed around alot with the rear links on my other truck and got rid of the TT and I know from reading this forum that the stock link configuration is all wrong. I hope the rear link mount shows up today! Did you do anything different up front for the links to help with the TT or is the rear mount enough to keep the front planted?
I'm afraid to take it out today with out the pin lox from RMDW. Last thing I need is broken axles! I've waited this long may as well wait till all my stuff shows up- Dang the snail mail! . I never did get an email that my order was received by RMDW, money's gone but no confirmation? I'm sure its on its way- I keep telling myself "have patience" but I just dont listen to that fool! LOL


Charlie-III 02-26-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB (Post 2952921)
yeah thomas is really covered up but he said this will all be coming together soon. as for the front links, it helps if they are moved to the outside of the mount tabs with a 15mm spacer between them to support them. also if you move your front shocks inboard to get max steering you shoud build sub links to support those mounts also, i have added a pic of that mod. notice that the shock as well as the links are inboard of the mount tabs so they need the support.

Yeah, you want to support the axle tabs if you relocate the shocks, otherwise you WILL break them off, especially if it gets cold."thumbsup"
Otherwise, nice looking rig.

bluenosegoat 02-26-2011 09:43 AM

Thanks for the pic and comments! I will definately do that mod to the front end, I knew I bought all those revo rod ends for a reason! I'm sure your right that without support the leverage will be to much for the tabs. I am happy with the steering angle it gets now but the rovers do touch the lower links when maxed. Off to the hardware store for some screws and all thread, some heat shrink for the axle pins (till I get the pin lox) and gotta see if i have enough alluminum to make a temp rear link/battery mount.

I just became a paying member of the Forum also. Least I can do for all the great information I've aquired!

CREEPERBOB 02-26-2011 10:10 AM

Welcome to the forum. Now ya can post pic's too, and as for the hardware , i think thats the hardest part of this hobby, finding all the right sizes you need. I looked high and low for long enough button head screws longer than 25mm for those front link/shock mounts because a nut or allen head stops about 3 or so degrees of steering, i'm fortunate that here in casa grande there is a great little hardware shop that has most stuff that i can't get from ace hardware, its called freds bolts, nuts & tools, great store. McMaster Carr has a great selection also.

bluenosegoat 02-26-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB (Post 2953073)
Welcome to the forum. Now ya can post pic's too, and as for the hardware , i think thats the hardest part of this hobby, finding all the right sizes you need. I looked high and low for long enough button head screws longer than 25mm for those front link/shock mounts because a nut or allen head stops about 3 or so degrees of steering, i'm fortunate that here in casa grande there is a great little hardware shop that has most stuff that i can't get from ace hardware, its called freds bolts, nuts & tools, great store. McMaster Carr has a great selection also.


Ya hardware is always a problem! I also build custom motorized bicycles and I'm forever chasing nuts and bolts! The ace near me has some items-home depot is out of the question. I admit I use some 4-40 stuff in a pinch.I just got back from the depot and the longest 4-40 they had was 1 inch so I'll have to wait on the front mod. I think I'm just gonna spend some money with Tony's Screws. They have by far (from what I've seen) the best quality and hard to find items. I got a screw kit from them for my ol maxx and not one screw head has stripped since! (good tools help alot too of course) Cooper State has alot of stuff too but unless you buy in bulk, boxes of a 100, its not really worth the drive.
I tried posting some pics directly from my computer and it keeps telling me my file size is to large even after bringing the pics down to 640x480! I'll have to try adjusting my camera pixels- I imagine at 8.1 its just to much info so I'll have to stick with the "Bucket" for now.

CREEPERBOB 02-26-2011 02:21 PM

I USE A LOT OF 3 mm MOSTLY, FOR WHAT I CANT FIND I HAVE 3 mm ALL THREAD.
AS FOR PHOTOS, THE WAY I SIZE THEM IS I OPEN THE PHOTO AND E MAIL IT TO MY SELF AFTER I ADJUST THE SIZE TO SMALL OPTION THEN SAVE IT , MY CAMERA IS 12 MEG AND THIS WORKS FOR ME.


Quote:

Originally Posted by bluenosegoat (Post 2953351)
Ya hardware is always a problem! I also build custom motorized bicycles and I'm forever chasing nuts and bolts! The ace near me has some items-home depot is out of the question. I admit I use some 4-40 stuff in a pinch.I just got back from the depot and the longest 4-40 they had was 1 inch so I'll have to wait on the front mod. I think I'm just gonna spend some money with Tony's Screws. They have by far (from what I've seen) the best quality and hard to find items. I got a screw kit from them for my ol maxx and not one screw head has stripped since! (good tools help alot too of course) Cooper State has alot of stuff too but unless you buy in bulk, boxes of a 100, its not really worth the drive.
I tried posting some pics directly from my computer and it keeps telling me my file size is to large even after bringing the pics down to 640x480! I'll have to try adjusting my camera pixels- I imagine at 8.1 its just to much info so I'll have to stick with the "Bucket" for now.


bluenosegoat 02-28-2011 11:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Still waiting for stuff and just ordered a bunch of 3mm stuff from Tonys Screws so I'll be able to relocate the front links. I was just sitting around yesterday so I made a rear link plate/battery mount. I'm gonna take it to the little river rock pile down the street and finally get to run it! Nothing to challenging there though and I go back to work this week so play time is going to be harder to find:(
The Plate is pretty thin alluminum so I'll see how it holds up and the other piece is wonderful wal mart cutting board. I tried with the links on the outside but with out the triangulation the rear end had way to much side to side so I moved the links insinde the mounts and it just clears the battery which is velcroed down. Battery is charged time to go!

bluenosegoat 03-01-2011 09:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Didnt get much rock action but it sure likes to climb the tree out front! I am very impressed with the steep angle it climbed with out lifting a front tire. I think the major difference is from the rear links helping with the antisquat and of course the TT. The trucks rear end did not compress keeping more weight on the front. I am using a hobbywing ez run brushless system and so far the "cogging" is barely noticeable. I'm heading to Papago Park today (work is pushed back a week) for a real test and one on one with my CK to see how it really preforms. I'm still missing the correct wheel screws from Venom and I made the link plate and did the heat shrink trick on my axle while I wait for my paradox parts to arrive, just gotta hit the rocks and get some scratches!

Charlie-III 03-01-2011 03:44 PM

Nice looking shaftie!"thumbsup""thumbsup"
This is a great section of this site, search and then ask questions, lots of info here.
Make sure you read RMD's T&T's thread at the top of this forum, it has a lot of info....like, be ready to replace your driveshafts with Traxxas parts.:lmao:

BTW, Mesa, as in Arizona? I have a customer site on University as well as a site in Chandler.

CREEPERBOB 03-02-2011 05:11 AM

Hello charles, i live near casa grande az , what kind of buissness do ya have out here ?

bluenosegoat 03-02-2011 09:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 2959836)
Nice looking shaftie!"thumbsup""thumbsup"
This is a great section of this site, search and then ask questions, lots of info here.
Make sure you read RMD's T&T's thread at the top of this forum, it has a lot of info....like, be ready to replace your driveshafts with Traxxas parts.:lmao:

BTW, Mesa, as in Arizona? I have a customer site on University as well as a site in Chandler.

Yep I live in Mesa off of University!

I used alot of info from the Creeper section to build this rig. I happen to have Traxxas shafts also (three full sets from my maxx builds) but I'll see how the stockers hold up. I locked my diffs with the washer trick, put heat shrink on the axle pins to make sure they stay in there, relocated shocks, bent the rear links to make high clearance links and made the rear link/battery mount all from info gained here. I almost wish I would've ran it stock so I could see how much the mods really did for it. I took it to Papago park yesterday and ran it hard and WOW is all I can say! I thought it would be hard pressed to compare to my modded CK but it blew it away in every situation and opened up a whole mess of new lines for me. With the rear upper links relocated it shows no signs of TT while climbing at all! I think I must've gotten lucky with my guess at wheel weights and weight placement because this rig climbs like nobody's business. I will definately try to find a comp to enter- hopefully another at Papago will happen soon since I'm very familiar with it. So next will be BTA steering and ditch the axle skids. Heres a couple pics from yesterday on the rocks.

Charlie-III 03-02-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB (Post 2961119)
Hello charles, i live near casa grande az , what kind of buissness do ya have out here ?

I work for a UPS Battery monitoring company. We design/build/install/start battery monitoring systems. I have been with them for ~11 years, and travel a lot. These are big UPS systems in data centers, etc.
I'm a Senior Field Tech for them. The company name is BTECH if you wanted to look it up (www.BTECHinc.com)

CREEPERBOB 03-02-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie-iii (Post 2961778)
i work for a ups battery monitoring company. We design/build/install/start battery monitoring systems. I have been with them for ~11 years, and travel a lot. These are big ups systems in data centers, etc.
I'm a senior field tech for them. The company name is btech if you wanted to look it up (www.btechinc.com)


cool deal, i thought maybe ya had an rc related buisness

bluenosegoat 03-09-2011 09:40 AM

So I broke my rear drive shaft. My fault for gassing it when it was so bound up but this truck is making me try lines I never would've thought possible with my other crawler! I've ordered the metal traxxas yokes and shafts but I do have some drivelines for my Tmax that seem might fit for the time being (just need grub screws) but they are rather large! I also got my HR lockouts on now but they need shimming- sure would be nice if HR would include some washers for this. Seems most of the stuff I've gotten for this rig comes incomplete including the kit itself. Good thing I've got 20+ yrs of stuff to dig through! Hoping to get my stuff from RMDW this week. Still contemplateing an ota steering set up to get those links out of the way. I like the CKRC Bta set up but I'm not sure it will fit with my link/shock setup, but I do like that it includes alluminum knuckles. I havent seen anyone on here running the CKRC set up though. I did take a short video of my creeper at the park the other day. Sorry not the best quality- using my digital camera and its my first time putting anything on You Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiOAAjcovGs

CREEPERBOB 03-09-2011 10:20 AM

GREAT VIDEO, THATS A AWSOME PRACTICE SPOT!8) YEAH THE LIL CREEPER'S ARE QUITE IMPRESSIVE. LOOKS LIKE YA GOT HER FIGURED OUT , THE DRIVESHAFT UPGRADE IS A MUST, I RUN INTEGY SHAFTS ON MINE BUT BOUGHT THE TRAXXAS SHAFTS FOR MY WIFES RIG.KEEP ON CREEPIN'"thumbsup"

bluenosegoat 03-09-2011 01:03 PM

Ya I saw in your build thread the integy shafts, I went with Traxxas just because I know how strong they are on my T maxx and I've had bad experience's with integy alluminum parts on the Tmaxx. I do like the way they look though- much better than the old school traxxas stuff!
I finally got the HR lockouts on- what a pain! I could not figure it out but the shimming on the left is so much different than the right! Seems good now though. Used a washer on one side and had to cut a small shim from brass tubing for the other.
The spot I took the video (and the only place I really run at) is at Papago park. PARC is having a competition there on the 20th- unfortunatly I've made plans for that day along time ago but its an awesome place to play! I've been there at least a dozen times and find new lines everytime! I'm going to try to make it this weekend out to the comp near Gold Canyon just to see what the guys are running and how the comps operate- I see my creeper getting involved very soon!

lazynocturnal 03-09-2011 01:28 PM

hey blue, theres going to be a comp on june 3-5 in prescott at watson lake. im going to be on vacation at that time and will be hitting up that comp. if you want to get out of the heat you should hit it up...heres the link to it. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/arizona/300461-2011-az-summer-shootout-june-3-5-a.html it will be nice to see some creepers from the forum hit it up...gotta get creeperbob and his wife rockinbetty to go also!!!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com