Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: VCDUD's venom biuld

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #101
Yashua

Any pics of the progress on the links? Man those c hubs will surely have some strange steering if backwards.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Ill have quite a few pics to download in a couple hours or so...
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #103
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
As Im workin on the rig I find there's a problem with the front axle...and it is probably why you have had problems with crawling. The problem I found is that your C-Hubs are flipped...the c-hub on the left should be on the right and vice versa. I got the front links and shocks mounted to the chassis and was setting the caster angle...as I set it to about 10* like mine I found the pinion was pointing way down and the BTL plate is at a crazy low angle. I looked at it when I saw it wouldnt flex properly and saw the problem with the c-hubs real easy. I didnt notice the issue when I took it apart but Ill pull the c-hubs and swap them around...easy enough.
that would explain my problem with the pinion hanging down so low. looking forward to seeing the pics
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Im waiting for the temp to drop a bit outside so I can weld the lockers up...Ill post pics and text as soon as I get some stuff uploaded.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Default pics...and lots of 'em

here is the rear inner hole in the chassis side plate that had to be ovalled a bit to line up with the Ax skidplate...about 1mm.

Upper and lower link set up...the uppers have a 2mm spacer at the chassis and are mounted flush at the BTL plate. The lowers are mounted to the axle between the tabs and there is a 7.5mm spacer at the chassis. Currently the straightened lowers are on the front...Ill switch that around and put the stock 2 bend links back on the front and put the straightened ones on the rear like I have my own...in the last pic you can also see the corrected C-hubs

More in a few minutes
Old 07-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Default more.....

here are the pre-weld lockers

Pin Lox on...Ill take the front axle apart real quick to replace the diff internals with a Lincoln Locker...the rear diff is apart and cleaned up and waiting for the LL.

The servo and bec need new connectors soldered on before they are reinstalled

Ill get pics of the servo and how much clearance there is with the new V2 BTL plate...
Old 07-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #107
RCC Addict

cool man, shes looking great. sounds like u dont have very much more to do so im deffinalty looking forward to seeing her complete.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Default two more....

heres the 7955 sitting loose in the BTL plate. Theres about a 1/2" of clearance under the servo to the pinion.

these are the last two pics for a bit..time to weld then back to building.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

OK..got a couple of issues Dalton....the XR is a soft sprung chassis by design...the red springs are just too stiff...whites or golds would be much better. You drive shafts are toast, the steel yokes are ok but the plastic shafts themselves are bad (the front one is about to let go at the yoke ears and the rear is tisted like a rifle barrel)...I can set the rig up but youll need to address these issues quick.

A couple other things...your steel yokes were both loose at the transmission...I thought at first the diff was toast in the tranny then tried the yoke set screws and they were loose. Im workin on the link set up right now and getting hte shocks a little softer and getting the ride height down, right now its at over 3". Im close to getting the electrics back in, but have some connectors to redo.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #110
Yashua

I bet with the c hubs backwards dalton had to use the stronger springs to keep the front wheels planted on turns uphill.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #111
RCC Addict

okay well, i have a set of losi white springs so if u set the preload i can go thought and change out the springs when i get it back. the hobby shop in colony on central ave is full of traxxas parts so im shure i can probly get a set of traxxas steel yokes and some traxxas long shafts to put in there also.

that all must have happened when i put that new holmes hobbies motor in there. all that wheeling and crap like that
Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomcrawlerdud View Post
okay well, i have a set of losi white springs so if u set the preload i can go thought and change out the springs when i get it back. the hobby shop in colony on central ave is full of traxxas parts so im shure i can probly get a set of traxxas steel yokes and some traxxas long shafts to put in there also.

that all must have happened when i put that new holmes hobbies motor in there. all that wheeling and crap like that
Ok....your yokes are fine...its the half shafts...
Old 07-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Default first flex as a roller

FIrst flex shot as a roller...not done yet, but real close.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #114
RCC Addict

KICKASS shes looking great man, okay cool then ill get some traxxas long truck half shafts to fix it all up.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Default some updates...more coming

Heres some updates,,,

Attention to detail/s...Dalton has a Holmes Hobbies decal on his Creeper Link and I of all people know how we feel about our favorite vendor's decals...one of the axle mounting screws is under the decal...so I cut around the screw with a razor knife and then removed the screw then reinstalled it...ya almost cant tell it came out..

The front lower links had a bit of a difference in the bends they had..might have been a bad hit to the front axle or the way they were bent...

The Rooster Crawler ESC was relocated to a custom Lexan shelf on top of the transmission...the Rooster is velcroed and the top cross brace helps to hold it steady...the motor wires were shortened for better current flow and rerouted through a hole in the shelf...the CC BEC will go behind the Rooster on the shelf...

This is the reshaped and cleaner mounted modified axle skid...

Front shock mount....

Rear shock mount....

Here is better pic of the shelf with a Paradox Lincoln Locker sitting on it...two Axial straight rod ends without the pivot balls provided the shelf supports...this works well for tying wires up too....
Old 07-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #116
RCC Addict

looks good thomas! the links i think where a bad set cus ive been having a a problem with tracking from the beginning. when i got the new rear links thou, they were (to atleast my eyes) perfect.

Did u have to end up shorting the longer front link to make them even?

other wise looks great, i love that shelf over the trans. im saprised i didnt think about that.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
looks good thomas! the links i think where a bad set cus ive been having a a problem with tracking from the beginning. when i got the new rear links thou, they were (to atleast my eyes) perfect.

Did u have to end up shorting the longer front link to make them even?

other wise looks great, i love that shelf over the trans. im saprised i didnt think about that.
The links that were jacked up are the ones you had on the front then you had stock links on the rear...I switched them around and fixed the straightened links and then cut them to fit the wheel base for the XR chassis just like mine and put the stock links up front. Ive been delayed on getting your rig done cuz I was waiting on the trusses...as you saw they are in and now that I have them I can rebuild your axles. Ill install the front LL and the front trusses at the same time. Then Ill have to install the rear truss.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #118
RCC Addict

okay cool, im so anty right now to see my rig in person when its all finished.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
okay cool, im so anty right now to see my rig in person when its all finished.
absence makes the heart grow fonder bro...
Old 07-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #120
RCC Addict

true, i would be driven my sprint 2 flux but last week the thing flipped and the upper a arm popped off the ball and then when i looked i saw that one of the axles went fling out as it was flipping so now its only 3wheel drive (really its 2 buy there are 3 axles in so) and i need to contach some of my LHS to see if they have one.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/314951-vcduds-venom-biuld.html
Posted By For Type Date
2.2 Venom Sportsman Creeper This thread Refback 10-07-2011 10:58 AM