Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

View Poll Results: Do we need HD under/overdrive gears for the creeper
Yes 28 96.55%
No 1 3.45%
Who cares 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Poll, Who wants HD underdrive/overdrive gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtus420 View Post
I don't feel that the creeper gears "need" to be metal cause I've been running my creeper hard on 3s and have yet to kill them, the gear reduction in there seems to really stiffen the drivetrian up but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea, I just don't think I need them. However the transmission all together is too big and very limiting for chassis due to the attached skid. I would love to see this design changed all together because there is no support for digs other than the factory venom one, it is just a complicated system to build imo.
i modded my trans so that it lies on its side and i have a flat skid on it (i found that the stock one with the "v" on the bottem was hearting it on break overs) and it got the motor 1" lower and i can use about any skid
heres the vid i made of it when i was running it before the brood motor killed a gear in it
http://www.youtube.com/user/asw27x?f.../0/JOv7PbYAFA4
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #22
RCC Addict

bump, I am now at a crossroads in a new build and I'm seriously considering selling the creeper axles and going to Axial ones because of this issue.....................hope venom is doing something asap..........Venom are you gonna chime in here soon
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #23

Absolutely, I'd buy a set of front overdrive if available. Steel?? Little more weight down low/up front!! Should help with steep climbs..
Santee Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I know why people like OD/UD gear sets but I have never seen a line that my Creeper with 3:1x2 axles wouldnt climb that any Axial would...Besides there are trade offs to having the differentiated gear ratios in the axles that I dont care for...the little extra wheel spin in the front versus the rear is overcome with throttle usage.

Now with that said I am ordering a set of Axial OD gears soon to see what I can work out for those that want them....we'll see....
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
I know why people like OD/UD gear sets but I have never seen a line that my Creeper with 3:1x2 axles wouldnt climb that any Axial would...Besides there are trade offs to having the differentiated gear ratios in the axles that I dont care for...the little extra wheel spin in the front versus the rear is overcome with throttle usage.

Now with that said I am ordering a set of Axial OD gears soon to see what I can work out for those that want them....we'll see....
Hit me up first man, I'll run them for sure, I do agree with what your saying cause I've had just rear underdrive installed into my axial when I had it and it wasn't a huge differance but I never had both to compare, always manage to go the same places just took a little more finess in some instances. I am now into the moa world and having propo dig is just a huge benifit in alot of undercut type climbs, I feel this would really take the creeper over the top as great set of comp axles........once RMD'd up. I got rid of the axial axles because of the fact that the creeper axles just turned sooo much better. Also I just notice that the rear axle is 3/8th approx wider than the front using the hr lockouts.......never noticed it before but my axial offset wheels up front with berg offset rears and 10mm wide hexes(rear only) should even it up Thanks man, I asked Jason again about some kinda time frame before they would even enter into the market if they did decide to produce them and he said it would be atleast a year or so...there is a market there buddy

Last edited by kurtus; 07-04-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Any more follow-up from Venom on this??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Any more follow-up from Venom on this??
Funny you should bring this up, I was just talking to another member about this yesterday saying I need to ask Jason again. I'll send him another email to see where this ended up.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #28
RCC Addict

i really would love a set for my creeper sporty
iv got so much steering out of it that at full lock its pushing so much
Old 12-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Email sent and I suggested that they make locked spools for these axles too as that is another area Axial has them beat. I'll post back when I get a reply, hopefully this wasn't forgotten but I think if any of you guys can email him too about this it could be very helpful. Jason Koneval jason.koneval@venom-group.com
Old 12-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Anyone know if there is a way to get this poll opened up again, I only made it open for a month which was way to short and would like to get whatever votes I can so I have something to show Jason?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #31
RCC Addict

ask a MOD
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #32
RCC Addict

im ready for some new gears
found this surprise in my front axle after running it lightly and iv never had a problem before

im running the new style locker up front and love it so far it has almost no slop and easy to put together
Old 12-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtus420 View Post
Anyone know if there is a way to get this poll opened up again, I only made it open for a month which was way to short and would like to get whatever votes I can so I have something to show Jason?
I would go to them with what you have..the conversation went where it needed too for the sake of the question...28 out of 29 people who voted want the OD/UD set up. The same people who didnt vote before wont now or any time in the future...there is a market for them...the Creeper is making a come back as we all know...look how often parts are unavailable or even the whole kits are sold out...when I first got mine you could get them anywhere...now...you sometimes have to wait to find them. Even Ebay is down to less than a whole page of available units. This is a strong statement.

I think the smart idea would be a fast approach at the rear axle first...Under Drive gears for the back first. One tooth MORE on the gears, one or the other would be enough. Adding one tooth on the ring gear would be the least cost as it would mean that everything else could stay the same.

Another consideration...possibly cheaper in the long run is an off-set locker made to accept an adapter ring plate that would allow Axial ring gears to be mounted to it. Or, an Axial friendly locker that works with the Creeper shafts and axle housings...but the off-set locker would mean that two adapters could be made...one for Axial rings and the other for the stock rings so a Consumer could switch back and forth without changing the axle shaft back lash.

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 12-11-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
im ready for some new gears
found this surprise in my front axle after running it lightly and iv never had a problem before
[/COLOR]

im running the new style locker up front and love it so far it has almost no slop and easy to put together
Which locker is that Calvin?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
I was just thinking the same thing????
Old 12-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
it is the new venom locker with the steel center piece with the aluminum outer
Old 12-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
it is the new venom locker with the steel center piece with the aluminum outer
DO you have a part number...I havent seen that one? Or is that the Venom Locker thats been out for a while and the new HD carrier ?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
DO you have a part number...I havent seen that one? Or is that the Venom Locker thats been out for a while and the new HD carrier ?
its the HD set
Old 12-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
I would go to them with what you have..the conversation went where it needed too for the sake of the question...28 out of 29 people who voted want the OD/UD set up. The same people who didnt vote before wont now or any time in the future...there is a market for them...the Creeper is making a come back as we all know...look how often parts are unavailable or even the whole kits are sold out...when I first got mine you could get them anywhere...now...you sometimes have to wait to find them. Even Ebay is down to less than a whole page of available units. This is a strong statement.

I think the smart idea would be a fast approach at the rear axle first...Under Drive gears for the back first. One tooth less on the gears or one or the other would be enough. Taking one tooth off of the ring gear would be the least cost as it would mean that everything else could stay the same.

Another consideration...possibly cheaper in the long run is an off-set locker made to accept an adapter ring plate that would allow Axial ring gears to be mounted to it. Or, an Axial friendly locker that works with the Creeper shafts and axle housings...but the off-set locker would mean that two adapters could be made...one for Axial rings and the other for the stock rings so a Consumer could switch back and forth without changing the axle shaft back lash.
That is great info man, I'm gonna just link him back to this page again to see this, just wanted to have all the input possible for them. I'm glad this was dug up again. I think your right about this being valid I just wanted to see if there would be more votes because I'm sure alot of guys missed this originally or never voted. I'll leave the poll as is.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
its the HD set
ok..Thanks Calvin...do you have any Axial Ring Gears you could compare to the back of the HD carrier?