RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Venom Creeper (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/)
-   -   What is a "dig" unit? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/365127-what-dig-unit.html)

edelsite 02-08-2012 08:13 PM

What is a "dig" unit?

I'm new to the world of crawlers and I'm doing some research to determine which model I'm going to go with. Pretty much got it down to the Venom Safari, Losi Night Crawler, or the AX10 Scorpion. My coworker has a venom kit he's working on and it looks like a nicely built unit. Like the title says...what is the factory "dig" unit that's installed on the RTR Safari crawler?

viper6171 02-08-2012 08:21 PM

Re: What is a "dig" unit?

a dig unit allows you to disengage or lock the rear driveshaft which enables you to turn in a really tight radius . also can come in handy when going down a steep incline or going up a steep vertical climb

SCrawler 02-09-2012 03:56 AM

I took my dig and moved it to the front (to control front axle), to make a functioning 2wd/4wd shift. It just seems to be more scale to me that way, but I did run it on the rear, and it can do wonders when you need to make tight turns!!

isetiawan 02-11-2012 04:27 AM

Dig Unit almost the same as hand brake in real car.. But not for drift in crawler kit..

vassago 02-11-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edelsite (Post 3556191)
I'm new to the world of crawlers and I'm doing some research to determine which model I'm going to go with. Pretty much got it down to the Venom Safari, Losi Night Crawler, or the AX10 Scorpion. My coworker has a venom kit he's working on and it looks like a nicely built unit. Like the title says...what is the factory "dig" unit that's installed on the RTR Safari crawler?

For your info, Losi is discontinuing everything remotely related to crawling and Micro-T. Spare parts are close to impossible to find. What available out there is what is left.

So far, the only one from Losi that has not been confirmed as discontinued is the Trail Trekker.

I just hope they will be releasing new stuff in 2012 because there is not much left of their product line.

rmdesignworks 02-13-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isetiawan (Post 3561168)
Dig Unit almost the same as hand brake in real car.. But not for drift in crawler kit..

But a hand brake slows one or both wheels that it is connected to which causes power loss to the whole vehicle...with dig you disconnect power to one axle or the other depending on the set up which allows full power to the unlucked axle.

JJBTEXAS 02-16-2012 01:01 AM

I have a dig unit on mine and I love it.

MonsterTruckMan 02-16-2012 02:42 AM

a dig unit either disengages power to the rear or locks the rear up. that is what a 3 position dig is (which is what the venom unit is). locking the rear allows you to use one of the the rear wheels as a pivot point to turn really sharply. locking the rear can also help going down really steep hills, by using the rear as a mechanical brake. disengaging the power to the rear can really help when going up steep hills, because in 4wd your rear can get too much grip and flip the whole thing over.

fadi.join 05-17-2015 03:44 AM

Hello, Im looking to buy a crawler too, and i love the Dig unit in the Losi Comp crawler, Any suggestions on other good performing crawlers with dig unit? I prefer it to be Almost ready to run.
thanx