Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Rear Diff Lock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #1

Default Rear Diff Lock

How can i keep the rear diff locked?Every time i lock it in and go up a hill or climb rocks it will just kick back out and i try to lock it in again and same thing happens.Whats the best way to keep it from kicking back out from lock position?The front one never kicks out but rear wont stay locked in at all.Im making sure it locks to so it isnt that i cant figure it out everything looks good on the inside.

Thanks for any help!
Drag1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #2

Default Re: Rear Diff Lock

TowerHobbies.com | 8410 Venom Heavy Duty Differential Lockres Creeper/Safari
TowerHobbies.com | 8411 Venom Heavy Duty Differential Case Creeper/Safari x2

Problem solved for life of the Creeper Be advised a Dremel is a must for those, the lockers are a very tight fit, you need to shave the paint of the lockers and a little metal to make them fit inside the diff casings.

JB weld is more economical but I rather have a solution that does not waste the original diff.
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I just installed the Venom lockers this weekend. One of mine fit perfect and the other was too loose. So I had to cut a piece of a aluminum can to fit as a shim like this (RMDW T's & T's & set up) They work great!
punishermustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #4

Thumbs up Re: Rear Diff Lock

I had the same problem. What I do now is turn the truck on its right side (with the sidewall and rims on the ground) and push down on the switch hard with the tip of my thumb. When it will not go any further, turn the left wheel by hand and the switch will move just a little further locking it into position. Sometimes I can just bump the throttle and push the switch a little while the truck is on a fours, and the switch will go that little extra bit to get the axle locked.
SCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassago View Post

Problem solved for life of the Creeper Be advised a Dremel is a must for those, the lockers are a very tight fit, you need to shave the paint of the lockers and a little metal to make them fit inside the diff casings.

JB weld is more economical but I rather have a solution that does not waste the original diff.
Ok,if i want to use the JB WELD were do i put it at on the inside or behind locker on the outside?

Thanks Again
Drag1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

IF YOU DONT READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE CREEPER PAGE

YOU WILL NEVER KNOW ,, !!!
santa cruz crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa cruz crawler View Post
IF YOU DONT READ THE STICKIES AT THE TOP OF THE CREEPER PAGE

YOU WILL NEVER KNOW ,, !!!
X2...the info is right there in front of ya...JB Weld is the quickest easiest cheapest fix for the "on the fly" lockers.

ANd think about this for a second...you want to lock the diff gears right...so would it be better to lock the red ring in place or lock the gears? Not trying to be a smartass just trying to get your thoughts moving.

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 02-13-2012 at 08:37 PM.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassago View Post

How do I install them ? These is no guide ?
Sorry for the question I am just new at all this .
darksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksheep View Post
How do I install them ? These is no guide ?
Sorry for the question I am just new at all this .
No problem! There are no instructions but it's very easy once you've figured it out.

The casing is exactly that, it replace the once that comes with the Creeper, the lockers go inside the casing. you could use the one that comes with the creeper but you will need to shim the lockers because they are too loose and you will only strip the plastic casing, hence the metal ones for a heavy duty solution.

You simply dremel one step at a time each sides of the locker's sides until you've shaved enough for a tight fit in the casing, and I add some red locktite for good measures. To install, just put the locker in the casing, screw the casing and then screw in the big diff gear to the casing. It replaces the whole differential assembly, no moving parts so no worm gear stripping or unlocking diff. The only thing you have to be careful about is to move away the diff locker on the axle for the diff to fit, you do need to leave the locker in place, if you don't, a shovel worth of dirt and muck will enter the axle unless you close the hole somehow.

I hope it's clear....it's not easy to explain in writing.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #10

the cheapest way is to put epoxy.
that is what i did and it works well
ebay007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebay007 View Post
the cheapest way is to put epoxy.
that is what i did and it works well
True but my ocd side does not like it, you can't change your mind. The hardened steel casing and lockers is reversible which the whole point of getting those, but of course it is also pricier...and even not cheap.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #12

Hi every body!! I am new to RC rock crawling, I had the same problem with The Venom Creeper Safari! I was searching the net and found the Heavy Duty Atomik diff lucker in Amazon.com.... Amazon.com: Atomik Heavy Duty Diff Lockers for Venom Creeper and Safari RC Rock Crawlers: Toys & Games Would this luck the diffs for good?

Thanks
Nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #13

I used the Venom diff lockers and aluminum housings on my Safari. I am a total newbie to RC and they were very easy to install. I did not want to use JB weld, but it also would be very easy to do.
Attached Images

88gmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I put a spring between the bearing and the locking collar for a short term fix, worked fairly well. Now running lockers in aluminum housings. I ran the JBweld for a while, but eventually it broke free.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Rear Diff Lock - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Diff Lock and other CC-01 Questions? JLF Tamiya XC/CC01 12 05-29-2012 07:55 AM
tamiya diff lock and shaft front or rear? cydog510 Tamiya CR-01 4 03-29-2011 11:24 AM
Lock Snot, Diff lock JohnRobHolmes General Crawlers 10 09-29-2007 05:54 PM
tamiya hummer rear diff lock? Kur Newbie General 15 12-02-2005 08:55 PM