Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Joined the Creeper addiction!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Joined the Creeper addiction!

Hey guys bought myself a Safari and so far all I can say is his thing was put together poorly. But it has allowed me to become very familiar with the vehicle which I prefer. I dealt with a shock issue at first and ended up taking out the internal spring and outer springs and putting on a set of T-Maxx springs. So far it works great. Im not building a comp crawler and I am very happy with how it crawls right now. I'm running a 4200 7 cell NIMH which is a lot of weight but it is what was available through the place I bought it. Tonight when I was running the truck after about 30 minutes of use it just started beeping from the ESC and would go forward anymore but would go in reverse for a moment. After letting it sit for a couple hours I plugged everything back in and ran it again in the house and it started doing it after about 45 sec. I checked my battery voltage and im still at 7.4 volts. Is it the ESC? I head these factory ones are crap. Here's a quick pic. Sorry for the Size my other forums auto shrink.

01_DiscoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Joined the Creeper addiction!

its very posible that it is the esc. one of the best things to do with the stock venoms is to replace the stock electronics first off
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Haha yeah thats what I had read. They are sending me a new one and I'll be looking for a good replacement for when that one craps. What would you guys recommend? I don't want to spend a fortune but also don't want to waste my money. This will be my build thread too. I plan on some 1.9's and a body to somewhat "scale" it out.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I prefer the rooster crawler. cost is about $80 - $100 or you can get one with a 55t motor for less than $120
littletoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i use castle sidewinders in all of my crawlers
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Cool thanks guys They are sending a new one but I'll be preparing to buy an extra for when this one goes out. Having one that is Lipo ready will be awesome.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Well last night i did a little work. Since I had removed that internal spring in the shocks I made some limiting straps to control my "droop", the T-maxx coils are a lot shorter than the stock coils. I wanted to stop the "droop" when the coil starting coming off it's cradle. I also took off the rear skid plate and moved the links up on the axle till I get the axle lock outs. I also put 4.5 oz. in each front tire and 1.5 oz in each rear tire, just used some sticky automotive balancing weights.

Last edited by 01_DiscoII; 02-25-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Well after a few months of crawling I've ended up JB Welding both diffs, and replacing my steering servo. Built new shock mounts and put on some Iroks and had to rebuild the tranny which i also reversed for 2wd scaler appeal. Now my receiver went out for the stock radio so I need to get a new system now. Overall I'm happy with the safari it just needs some fine tuning. Any recommendations for a replacement radio that won't break the bank? Also my buddy has one and just stripped out the rear ring a pinion, are there any upgrades for these parts?

Last edited by 01_DiscoII; 05-02-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_DiscoII View Post
Well after a few months of crawling I've ended up JB Welding both diffs, and replacing my steering servo. Built new shock mounts and put on some Iroks and had to rebuild the tranny which i also reversed for 2wd scaler appeal. Now my receiver went out for the stock radio so I need to get a new system now. Overall I'm happy with the safari it just needs some fine tuning. Any recommendations for a replacement radio that won't break the bank? Also my buddy has one and just stripped out the rear ring a pinion, are there any upgrades for these parts?

ring and pinion no just replace. never had any issues with stock ring an pinion just get some new ones
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The FlySky FS-GT3B seems to be a popular choice. I bought 3 of them for my rigs. I have been pretty happy with them. I replaced the voltage regulator in them and it improved battery life. There are a lot of mods for them. There is a thread in the electronics section.
mcdader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Yashua

Welcome to the Creeper madness , rig looks good, enjoy.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the replies guys!! I'll let my buddy know about the gears and that radio looks awesome!! I will be getting that ASAP! I'm hoping to be building aluminum frame rails in the coming weeks with built in shock mounts so I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

FlySky FS-GT3B are definately a good choice. $40 and its honestly as good as most radios that sell for $150-200. I just bought one for my new creeper as well. If you don't mind $10 more for it there is a company on ebay Omnimodels which I got my last one from and they shipped it fast. I had it in 2 days. Great company.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys!! I'll let my buddy know about the gears and that radio looks awesome!! I will be getting that ASAP! I'm hoping to be building aluminum frame rails in the coming weeks with built in shock mounts so I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Where abouts in Co are you?
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I'm up here in Eagle county. Are you down by Junction/Fruita area? I live in a little place called Bond.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
RCC Addict

the flysky radio is great i use one for my comp rig , my scaler , and my short course . check out hobbypartz great prices and quick shipping .
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm up here in Eagle county. Are you down by Junction/Fruita area? I live in a little place called Bond.
So youre north of Wolcott then...Ive got family in Gypsum and Im in Denver
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Yup that's right about 17 miles north! Used to live in castle rock and we make a lot of trips down to Denver since some family still lives there. Gypsum and Eagle are where we do everything.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Well I ordered a GT3B and it will be here on Tuesday so I'm excited to get it and try it out. Thanks for the input guys!!!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yup that's right about 17 miles north! Used to live in castle rock and we make a lot of trips down to Denver since some family still lives there. Gypsum and Eagle are where we do everything.
Ya gotta come down and crawl at the Crawl Space in Arvada...not far off I-70 & Kipling.

Joined the Creeper addiction! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just joined littleyj New Hampshire 6 04-04-2010 06:53 AM
Joined the Club LeDevil HPI Wheely King 19 03-08-2010 09:38 PM
I joined the Honcho Club YAY! A DOG Axial SCX-10 17 02-28-2010 01:43 PM
Joined the mini 4x4 club TLTCrawlin Chit Chat 9 05-22-2007 06:47 PM
well..joined the fj cruiser bandwagon chino438 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 05-09-2007 06:15 AM