Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Axial Trans Swap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Axial Trans Swap?

hey guys is it a good idea to swap the axial trans into a venom creeper. i heard its better then the creeper's and it has metel gears.. throw out some ideas.
Volture'Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

It has better gears and is smaller/ lighter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axial Trans Swap?

as i run a paradox'd vulture XR chassis'd creeper with a axial trans, i dont really see an advantage to it. yes, it does have better gears and is in a smaller more compact size. but it makes it hard to find a place to put your electronics, as with the creeper trans u mount them around and on the trans. also the weight of the motor being slung to one side isnt the best but it can help with TT just a little bit.

the advantages and disadvantages is just about equal for putting it in the creeper. really its just up to u if u want to spend the money and time to put it in.

you will need:
  • a axial trans skid
  • axial trans
  • creative amgination (for placing elcetronics)
  • and the chassis mounting holes will have to be moved lower and seperated by i think and 1/8in.
hope this helps
venomcrawlerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Does the axial trans sit flush to the bottom of the chassis plates? That's one thing I don't like about the creeper trans.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
28offroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
RCC Addict

if u put your skid mount holes in the right place then yes it will be flush and not have the center of the trans hanging down
Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomcrawlerdud View Post
if u put your skid mount holes in the right place then yes it will be flush and not have the center of the trans hanging down
I realise you can do that for the creeper trans but then it just ads weight further up. Wanted to know if the axial trans sits flush to the bottom of the venom chassis at the stock trans mounting location. From the pics I seen it looks like it will but just wanted verification.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
RCC Addict

well the thing is the bottom of the skid on an axial trans is flate, so if u mount it in the stock creeper location (which u cant anyways do to the holes are not the right width apart) then the bottom of the skid will sit up in the chassis about and 1/8in. but yes, if u do it right everything will fit and work fine for you.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomcrawlerdud View Post
well the thing is the bottom of the skid on an axial trans is flate, so if u mount it in the stock creeper location (which u cant anyways do to the holes are not the right width apart) then the bottom of the skid will sit up in the chassis about and 1/8in. but yes, if u do it right everything will fit and work fine for you.
Alright, 1/8 up is better imo than sitting below to get hung up on. Even with it 1/8 up it would still have a lower center of gravity than the creeper trans. Might have to order 1 up.
Thanks..

Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

For the record, the Axial trans still has two plastic gears. It'll cost you another $38 for Robinson steel replacements.

And the older types without the pin-through steel outdrives have crappy soft aluminum outdrives that twist off easily.

And they use three teeny 2mm bolts to hold the lower gear between the outdrives.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

There are other factors too...
exposed spur gear but it does offer a wider range of gear ratios than the Creeper trans, this is the only reason I have considered an AX trans...but once you buy an aluminum case...all new steel/aluminum gear set it aint an Axial anymore.

Another thing to consider is that when an Ax skid is bolted in between the Creeper chassis side plate the chassis has and exposed edge below the skid plate which creates a channel that keeps the chassis from sliding side to side on rocks..good thing some times but not always. I would bolt the skid plate in then trim the chassis sides to be flush with the skid.

The Ax tranny isnt really that much smaller than the Creeper trans...the spur gear on the Ax sticks up pretty high and by the time you count the outdrives there isnt much difference in length. The Ax trans case itself is smaller...but its a 3 gear whereas the Creeper is a 5 gear enclosed case.

Choice really......
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
RCC Addict

the only i reason i switched is because i thought a 30t motor would be to much for the stock creeper trans. i know that the creeper trans will beabke to handle it but i didnt think so (dont know y i did think that but i did) really the only benefit to the ax trans is a lower COG due to the weight of the motor is lower but its put to one sife making one side of the crawler heavier and even thou the gears in the stock trans are not heavy at all the the top gear of the axial trans is also lower than the gears in the creeper trans if im correct. im wishing i stayed with the creeper trans, a lot less confuetion
Old 03-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

See, one of the hold ups for me is the side motor...I like the centered motor on the Creeper trans and that its further forward helping with bias
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
See, one of the hold ups for me is the side motor...I like the centered motor on the Creeper trans and that its further forward helping with bias
agreed

Axial Trans Swap? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial link swap ?? EZap Redcat Crawlers 5 03-22-2010 11:52 AM