Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: newbie with venom fever!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #1

Default newbie with venom fever!

Just wanted to say hello and thanks. I started this addiction with a Losi micro crawler just to make sure I would enjoy this sport/hobby. After much enjoyment and research on this site, I ordered a venom safari, a venom 0657 charger and a venom 7.2v 5000mah 6 cell nimh battery pack from RC superstore via Ebay. Thanks to the RMDW tips and tricks thread i am aware of all the creepers shortcomings and will address them with all of the recomendations in that thread. That thread alone was worth the $20.00 supporter star! I am basically a trail rider and will post pics when my stuff arrives. Thanks for the great forum!
88gmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: newbie with venom fever!

Welcome to the sickness! Great job on the reading... Hoping to see a great build an lots of pics..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #3

Thanks WO23. Everything arrived today. I drove it in the snow for about 3 sweet minutes, and then i inspected it for the usual. Sure enough, 2 of the drive shaft pins were hanging out, ready to be lost forever, and one of the trans output shaft retainer screws was loose, but that is cool. Based on what I have read here, I knew this could happen before I even bought it. I am addressing all of the issues except the Hot Racing C Hub, it appears to be unavailable. When I read more about posting and downsizing pictures, I will get some pictures up. Great site. I really do appreciate the great information!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #4

Here is a cou[le of pictures of my Creeper bone stock. The mailman just dropped off a box of upgrades today. I got Traxxas shafts and yokes, Hot Racing aluminum steering knuckles and rear lockouts,Venom heavy duty diff cases and lockers, and some LED lights. I really like this truck. I am impressed with how capable it is. I cant wait to see how it is with the diffs locked. Does anyone know where to get some Hot Racing C Hubs, or is that all over with?
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

It looks great! If ur impressed with its abilities now, wait till you put some real tires on it an not the junk ones it comes with! Then you will love it! Upgrades sound like a good start.. the chubs use to be easy to get an it was hard to find knuckles.. you can find chubs on fleabay.. just saw em.. keep up pics of the build, can wait for mods..
Old 01-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Its an addiction that's for sure. Once you start modifying you'll never look back! lol
legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #7

Found the C Hubs on fleabay today. They are on the way. For a week, there were none listed. All of the hobby stores Hot Racing were promoting as distributors were showing them on back order. I agree this can become addicting! I will keep posting photos and info as I progress. Cheers!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Eventually you'll end up with a venom like this.

And I'm still going to get/make a plate for the front and rear axle, move the battery to the front axle, go to a BTA steering setup. And see if I can't find some bent delrin lower links.

Last edited by legion1capone; 01-15-2013 at 07:08 PM.
legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Or like this Been running my creeper axles for several years and havent had any problems...heck I like them better than Axial axles. Totally serious

The Creeper is a fantastic platform, so how ever you build it, you wont be disappointed. Keep us updated
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #10

Nice Creepers! I will get there one day! I got the rear end locked up and locked out. Traxxas shfts and yokes too. This is my 1st time working on RC stuff other than installing a steering servo in my micro. I have to admit I was very nervous tearing the rear end of a brand new truck apart! But it went well. I am alot more confident now. This site is great. When I ran in to questions, the search box provided the answers. Here are a couple of pics of the rear. Now to start the front.....
Attached Images

Last edited by 88gmc2; 01-21-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
RCC Addict

welcome to the sicness 88 good lookin rig

i have both a comp rig that is creeper as well as a scaler that is creeper axled love them both
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
RCC Addict

also if you want to make the stock tires work alot better then trim out the shorter lugs in the center and then the opposite lugs on the outer edges makes a world of difference in them .
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I started in the same boat as you, a newbie with a creeper an Rcc, found the creeper forum, along with Rmdw t's an t's, The creeper wagon, an team drivers threads an got serious.. ended up with this..

Even went as far as xr steering for it an xr universals to keep from breaking any more stock cvd's..

It's all in how far you want to take it.. keep the pics coming an the build goin.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #14

I got the front axle built up today. What a job. I built it and took it back apart 6 times. The C hubs have a specific angle they have to be positioned on the axle. I got it all together and the steering linkage would not go on. Tore it all apart. Then I noticed the Venom CVD yoke pin retainers were dragging on the C Hub bolts ever so slightly. Took it all apart and cleaned up the inside flanges of the C Hubs and bolts with a little sandpaper. Everything is rolling smooth now. Just have to let the blue loctite cure overnite. Now that I have the driveline all set, I can get into rims and tires and update the electronics. Like Johnny Cash said: One piece at a time
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Looks great! Good attention to detail with the screws.. one suggestion. May not happen but I have had it happen.. get rid of the little HR screw caps.. there cute an all, but if ur screw comes loose an you can't get that cap off, ur Screwed! lol...
Old 03-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #16

Here are some pics of the Safari before and after I put a set of RC4WD TSL Boggers on it. I bought a King Crawler for my son and after a little bit of crawling, the Safari was getting hung up on stuff the King Crawler was able to easily clear. I modified the extra set of front body posts that came with the King Crawler, and I used 1/4" spacers and longer stainless hex head screws in the rear to lift the body up a 1/4". Guess I will be buying a beefier steering servo soon. Any reccomendations? It must be waterproof! Thanks.
Attached Images

newbie with venom fever! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rally FEVER speednut Rally 3 08-08-2012 06:46 AM
newbie venom build jonesy5o Newbie General 8 08-29-2010 08:17 PM
Cat Scratch Fever DeweyCJ5 Iowa 36 05-02-2010 02:21 PM