Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: scale venom help???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: scale venom help???

Any other suggestions for a ESC? Ive been looking on 3bay.com and they have dual motor esc and 2 titan 775 motors for a emaxx. I think a 775 motor would be ok in my truck but I was wondering if you could run a single motor on a dual esc without screwing up the esc?

Last edited by AlvaCracker; 02-05-2013 at 06:54 PM.
AlvaCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaCracker View Post
Any other suggestions for a ESC? Ive been looking on 3bay.com and they have dual motor esc and 2 titan 775 motors for a emaxx. I think a 775 motor would be ok in my truck but I was wondering if you could run a single motor on a dual esc without screwing up the esc?
Do'nt see any reason for running dual ESCs for a single motor.I would spend the money on a higher end ESC like a Tekin fxr rite out of the box it does 2 and 3s lipo.
ratterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #43
Rock Stacker

Well the reason I was asking was because I donate plasma at $20 a shot to fund my Rc adventures and the emaxx esc/motor combo comes with 2 motors(1 drive and 1 for a spare) and kills 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak. If I spent $80 on the fxr esc id still have to save up another $50 for the motor to go with it.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

I run a axial ae2 esc which is made by castle and i love it and its backed to a integy 35 turn cost lesss than 80 for both

Last edited by 89lxmorepower; 02-06-2013 at 09:23 PM.
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #45
RCC Addict

a dual motor ESC (brushed) just has two leads rather then one. On most that i have seen, these leads are wired in parallel. there is no internal difference, they come from the same source. so yes you could run that and run tape up of cut off the un used leads. OR there is a 320a ESC on eBay, I think the new version is again wired for dual motors, it goes for $25 and i think there are a few US suppliers. I have two, one for each of my Dad and I's RS10XT tubers. i like them and they are cheap enough that if they do fry, so what? I have run them on a set of H&H Colbalt 18T (the unit is only rated down to 20T) with no problem. smooth throttle from crawl to balls out.

Now on my current creeper setup, i have a Sp Crawler master motors and a brushless outcry (50 bucks shipped form RC4WD), I like it too, but i need to adjust the drag break.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Thanks docwolf. I was asking because I wanted to get the dual motor esc so I could run my creeper for now but I was also wanting to install a honcho transmission and dual motors in my creeper later down the line. So I'll be good to go when the time comes but I'm going to a swap meet Saturday so hopefully I'll find some parts or maybe another project

Last edited by AlvaCracker; 02-09-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm starting to fear this build may be too much for the creeper axles lol.
If your Creeper has the "updated" Ring and Pinions the axles will be fine. I finally got my buggy running and have beat the snot out of it all week. Bouncing up rocks under wide open throttle and some pretty nasty flops. During a few of flops (you know, those FAST backflips sometimes dropping 3 feet to a rock) it smacked the axle housings so hard that I cringed; but this stuff holds up pretty darn well. I'm surprised with the durability to be honest, especially how people are always talking about snapped axle shafts and busted R&P's all the time. ANY rig can grenade with some big Lipo power but if you don't drive like a total moron and make sure you don't bind it up all the time, it should hold up fine.

Last edited by SStone; 02-09-2013 at 07:24 AM.
SStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

I want to run a traxxas/novak evx esc with a single motor and two 2s 1300mah lipos. The esc has two battery plugs but I'm not sure if the batteries together would make 4s or stay at 2s? I'm asking because I want to know if I need a novak 4 cell smart stop or not. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

yeah brushless/lipo will break stuff. This weekend i broke 2 old front driveshafts from landing jumps, a rear stub axle that got caught up in a root, and a rear pinion from reversing into wheelies. I put in a pinion and ring gear out of my old creeper, ( before the nice new retainer sleeves ) and it is much better quality. I broke all the things listed after the pinion swap. I am running 2800Kv brushless with 2S and 3S batteries now. Not to pimp my video but it kinda shows how I was breaking stuff.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #50
Rock Stacker

Will I'm only gonna be running 1 brushed emaxx motor but is there any r&p or transmission gear upgrades available?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

there are no gear upgrades i can find at this point. We are stuck with stock parts.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

Well I guess I'll just have to try and cross reference some parts. Anybody tried wk hardened r&p's or ax10 r&p's?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #53
RCC Addict

once I got my drive shaft issue fixed, the ring and pinion has not been a problem. 3s and a high torque brushless motor ( sp crawler master L). I think you are chasing a null point. The axle shafts will be your next issue to deal with. don't try and push coolers across paved parking lots and you should be fine......... not that I ......okay yes i did that...........
Old 02-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info docwolf, any recommendations on the upgraded axles, I was looking at the venom "upgraded" axle sets but is there anything stronger? I bought some parts today.
Proline 80's Chevy body
traxxas revo steel pushrods (upper links)
And a dynamite ½ alum servo arm.
The body needs some more trimming but I have to take it to a friend because he has a dremel tool and I don't lol. But I was thinking about painting the inside a rust color and painting the outside flat black so as it gets scratched it appears to be rusting like a 1:1 would. I'm still waiting for my motor, esc, and transfer case to show up.

photo sharing

pic upload

image sharing

free photo hosting

Last edited by AlvaCracker; 02-11-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

I was thinking about these "stealth mounts" to mount my body because my stock mounts are ½ inch short on both sides. Going for the scale'ish' look I think these mounts would be pretty sweet. Here's the link for them RC CAR STEALTH MOUNTS BODY POST
Has anyone tried these or thinks they'll work on a trail truck?

Last edited by AlvaCracker; 02-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #56
RCC Addict

i did the in side rust trick on my bronco, pretty happy with the result, but word of advice, do a lite sand on the our side. scotch pad would be enough, wash it real good, let it dry then paint. I didn't prep mine and when it scratches the paint chips off. still looks cool, but not the effect i wanted. I got nothing to suggest for the axles, i gave up and am moving my bronco to SCX10 axles. i will be building a KOH/hill climb style rig on the creepers next based on a 55" chevy sedan. I think the bronco is just too heavy with too much power for these. i see a lot of guys having great luck running lighter rigs.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #57

Quote:
Well I guess I'll just have to try and cross reference some parts. Anybody tried wk hardened r&p's or ax10 r&p's?
My pinion gear got ate up about a month ago, and I searched forever for a better replacement. No luck finding a stronger r&p, you're stuck with venom's. Folks are shimming the pinion gear so the teeth mesh tighter with the ring. The washer/shim goes onto the pinion shaft and sits on the innner bearing. Not sure the r&p will last any longer with this setup, but I am giving it a go. The axles don't spin as freely shimmed, but my drag brake has improved, and the motor/esc isn't getting hot.
Rcc4P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #58
RCC Addict

if you can;t spin it by hand with the drive line off, then the lash is far too tight. with it that tight, the grease can't get in there and do it's job and you will most likely eat them up faster.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

I got a package in the mail today from ebay. It was suppose to be my esc and motors but instead I got tmaxx bulkhead braces Now I have to hope the person is decent enough to send me the right part instead of charging me $75 for a $2 aluminum tmaxx part I didn't order.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #60
RCC Addict

if they messed up, they should cover it, other wise contact ebay if they don't

scale venom help??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GCM Scale Truck Conversions for Axial and Venom Generis Chassis and Suspension 12 04-06-2013 08:25 AM
Can we get a new forum in scale rig brands for the venom safari creeper? Thumpingbeetle Comments, Suggestions, and Help 3 09-24-2012 12:45 AM
Venom gone scale - w/AB Prototype Scale Chassis Abavuso Venom Creeper 44 11-10-2011 10:44 PM
Red Rockcrawler's Venom Mini Giant Scale Rig Red Rockcrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 08-10-2010 04:37 PM
Venom 1/8 Scale GPV-1 AxelRod Non Crawler RC's 16 04-28-2008 10:24 AM