Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: scale venom help???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #61
Rock Stacker

Default Re: scale venom help???

The person mixed up the order and sent my part to someone so I have to wait for the 3rd party to mail my part back to the seller then wait for it from the seller, so about 2-3½ weeks. But as long as I get the part in a timely fashion I'll be satisfied. My transfer case has to wait until the Chinese new year is over so it can be sent to me.

Can I get some ideas on how to make or where to buy a scale interior for my 80's Chevy? Its 7 inches wide and about 5¼ inches from bottom of back window to the bottom of the windsheild.
AlvaCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #62
Rock Stacker

Since the US military used the 80's Chevy pickups I think I'm gonna do a "military surplus" build. I'm still going to "rust" the inside and do a drab olive/flat black/tan on the outside like this BA truck.

photo sharing sites

upload pic
I might run these 1.9 tires because they are close to what's on the truck and my 2.2 cut swamp dawgs stick out about 2 inchs on each side of the body. Body is about 7 inches wide and outsides of tires is 11 inches wide without spacers.

Last edited by AlvaCracker; 02-12-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Interior wise, i would probably suggest getting some styrene and hand making it.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #64
Rock Stacker

What do I need to work with styrene? I'm a total noob when it comes to working on interiors. What tools do I need and what kind of adhesives do I need? I have model glue for the plastic car kits.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #65
RCC Addict

A ruler, a knife, a cutting board, some body filler (modeler stuff will work fine), and maybe a hair drier if you want to form it some. stuff some in a wide variety of thicknesses and shapes from plate stock to rod and tubes. I think it is called CA glue, if you buy your styrene in a store, they sell a glue for it.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

My woman works at a craft store so I'll ask her if they stock the materials. If so I'll get it at a discount

Last edited by AlvaCracker; 02-12-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

Arrow Re: scale venom help???

If your breaking ring and pinions you have issues im on 3s lipo 35 turn motor and over 7 pounds never broke a ring and pinion
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

No, I haven't broke anything yet. My truck still isn't running. I was asking if there was upgraded r&p's because I'm gonna be running 4s (dual 2s lipos) and I wanted to know if there would be a problem with the axles while trail riding/pulling. I plan on locking the rear axle and getting the servo kit and hardened diff case for the front axle so I can make decent turns when needed.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #69
RCC Addict

4s is over kill....and too time consuming, you have to watch the esc pretty hard to make sure it is not over heating..

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #70
Rock Stacker

Well the novak exv has two battery plugs and I was told that if I used two 2s lipos it would be read as 4s in the esc. I could run it on just one battery I guess but I'd like to run two batteries if its not too much work since I've already ordered a novak 4cell smart stop.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Smart stops plug into balance port of the batterie so you need it for a 2s if im not wrong plus it depends how its wired as one way jumps the cell count another just boost the mah for longer run times
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #72
Rock Stacker

Well I'm definitely confused about the lipo, esc, bec stuff so I think I'm just gonna go to my brushless/lipo racer friend and have him set up my electronics for me that way I don't toast anything and it'll get done right.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #73
RCC Addict

You will break shit and you will break it often. I would also venture to say that if this is your first crawler, the experience will be off putting as you will have a hard time controlling the throttle. Crawlers are not meant to have that much power.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express
Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #74
Rock Stacker

I've had a custom wk crawler and I ended up using the torque to run 8 inch tmaxx tires because a mud truck in south Florida is more appropriate then a rock crawler. I'm not gonna go comp crawling or pushing coolers in the parking lots lol. I just want a fastish basher that could handle some pulling. I'm gonna have my friend set up my electronics when I take my body to him for cutting because he races and he'll know how to set my creeper up for what I want.

Old picture of my wk and stampede.

free image hosting
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
if you can;t spin it by hand with the drive line off, then the lash is far too tight. with it that tight, the grease can't get in there and do it's job and you will most likely eat them up faster.
My thoughts exactly, but it ate them up when it was loose, and it's such a common problem with this crawler (the front axle r&p got ate up nearly right out of the box), so it's time to experiment to see what else might work. The recommendation to shim came from venom. I don't run my other RC's with such a tight lash, but I got the replacement parts for free so i'll give it a go.

Plus the added drag brake is well worth it even if I have to replace the r&p again (unless of course it goes out tomorrow and not 3 months from now .
Rcc4P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #76
RCC Addict

you could use a light grease in there i guess, it would almost have to be oil though LOL.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #77

I like the tinkering going on here. The southern swamper on 4s is gonna be sweet. Nearly every mod is a give and take ... you do one thing and it messes something else up ... but it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it anyway ... it's a toy so have fun. Couple observations-

Ring and pinion - Doc is right, it's preferable to have a free spinning axle. Don't shim it unless you start burning through r&p's. The creeper has no give in the driveline (no slipper clutch), so if you push it, it will break. The R&P is the only thing I've broken on my creeper ... seems to be the weak link.

Motor - I run a HW 21t sensored brushless on 2s and 3s. On 3s, you run to keep up. Probably fast enough for bogging, but we don't have swamp in socal so can't say for sure. I like it much better than my AE2 + 35t HH Pro brushed setup (with the exception of the drag brake). The extra power brushless offers is worth it for me. It has way more torque going slow.

Gearing - 45t spur/12t pinion. I climb rocks slow. Started with 45/15 and it was faster, but didn't have the resolution I desired. For your purposes 45/15 ~ 19 is probably good, assuming your brushless, minimum 3s, and minimum 5 inch tire.

Wheels and tires - Who doesn't want a wide body scale truck with tires that tuck? But will 1.9's clear the knuckle? Also, the hex on the creeper isn't the norm, it has a little shaft thingy. You may need to drill out the 1.9 rim, or get new hexes.

Hope this helps.
Rcc4P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #78
Rock Stacker

Well another thing popped up in my mind. I want a 2 speed transmission and I'm stuck between emaxx and summit transmissions, any recommendations? I have no experience with either transmission. I'm leaning towards an old emaxx trans so I can run dual titan 775 motors. I'm gonna have to black out the windows on my truck if I get a 2 speed trans simply because they're huge and would be hard to hide. I already have a tq 3 channel radio so I'd have a channel for shifting.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #79
RCC Addict

Axial now has a nice two speed tranny, should work with currently made dual motor adapter plates.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #80
Rock Stacker

I just looked it up. Its definitely more compact but also just about double the price. Although I do like the servo mounts right onto it, that makes things easier. Might have to count my tax return money and see if I can make $150 disappear without my woman noticing

scale venom help??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GCM Scale Truck Conversions for Axial and Venom Generis Chassis and Suspension 12 04-06-2013 08:25 AM
Can we get a new forum in scale rig brands for the venom safari creeper? Thumpingbeetle Comments, Suggestions, and Help 3 09-24-2012 12:45 AM
Venom gone scale - w/AB Prototype Scale Chassis Abavuso Venom Creeper 44 11-10-2011 10:44 PM
Red Rockcrawler's Venom Mini Giant Scale Rig Red Rockcrawler 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 08-10-2010 04:37 PM
Venom 1/8 Scale GPV-1 AxelRod Non Crawler RC's 16 04-28-2008 10:24 AM