Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: ok to jb weld diff gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

Default ok to jb weld diff gears

hello, I'm new to the forum but not new to RC.I picked up a venom Safari a couple weeks back and everytime I drive it I lose either a shaft pin or a hub pin. I tried the heat shrink fax for the drive shaft. That seems to be working well and holding.I tried using using heat shrink on the hubs but it seems to be wearing off from hittingthe outer part of the hub.other than JB welding the Pin indoes anyone have any better ideas. Thank you in advance this forum and the people on itare a great source of informationand very helpful.
Crawlerjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #2

Default Re: ok to jb weld diff gears

got so carried awaywith the hubs I forgot to ask if anyone has JB weld it the inner gears in the differential to lock it? thanks again in advance.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Old guy

Thats how I use to do my TLT axles, worked great.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #4

Was going to buy the heavy duty diff lockers on ebay, but the jb weld seems to be working great. Have only done the front because the inner gears got smeared crawling over a 2x4 piece of wood. Thanks for the input rockedup Ricky.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Also another way to "lock" the axle is to back out the small screw to the left of the lock switch. The screw will block the switch from sliding and unlocking. I haven't heard of anyone doing this but I've been running my truck like this for about a month without any problems.
AlvaCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Jb weld or, my favorite fix, mighty putty.. Had mine in for over a year an kept it as a back up diff gear when I got Rmdw Lincoln lockers.. When I desTroyed one of those, the mighty putty one went back in..
Make sure you get it jammed in every knuck an kranny, or it won't hold long..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #7

When I first bought the safari, the speed controller went in a cloud of smoke about 5 minutes in. I called Venom and they had a new one to me in 4 days. While on the phone I asked about the locks on the diff. I tried backing out the screw and within one charge I had only one wheel locked in the other spun freely. It smeared the small gears inside the diff so filled it with Jb weld. I have about 2 packs through it now and no problems . Its not reversible but the new diiff cases are only 10 bucks. Not going to mess with the open diff any more anyways.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

JB Welding the spider gears to each other and the diff housing is a must-do IMO. I did mine during initial assembly. The gears are so small that any sort of external locking method isn't going to hold up in the long run.

If your drive pins keep coming out you must not have the newer updated axles with retaining sleeves?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #9

Picked up some rings and axles. We will see how these work. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #10

JB welded my front end last week, put it all back together and within 30 mins the RF was dead again. Took it apart and the red slider ring with the 3 pins was still moving. Gonna shim it to stay tight and CA glue the plastic ring slider fork from the outside of the axle. I'm sure there's a how-to on this in the venom thread somewhere.
kart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #11

for anyone who wants to know how long it last... iv had my creeper for 3 yrs now and have had jb weld since day on still locked tighter than a nuns cu@%
codydray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #12

ive had a creeper for about 4 years now and i love it as i go out with a group of guys every sunday and my creeper never disapoints as some have ax10s and the creeper breaks far less than the ax10 and is just as capable and durable as the ax10,the diff lockers venom will send you for free just call and ask
Billadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Do u just pack the inside of the diff housing full of jb weld all over the gears inside then reassemble? and if u do this do u still need the red ring on the outside of the diff case that keeps it locked?
scoggdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote

ok to jb weld diff gears - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diff gears OKJeepin Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 04-23-2012 06:01 PM
Braze-Weld OR JB weld an XR10 Axle SDheavymetal Tools, and Procedures 2 10-15-2011 08:29 PM
Thats one way to weld a diff.... Kamikaze Chit Chat 24 02-23-2009 01:31 AM
4.1 diff gears where from? 1tuff40 Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 4 08-01-2008 01:27 PM
JB Weld Gears vs. TracGear Lockers cmsurfer Newbie General 3 01-10-2006 08:30 AM