RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Venom Creeper (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/)
-   -   New guy with ? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/472784-new-guy.html)

indianajeff 12-07-2013 03:47 PM

New guy with ?

She's done! It was a basket case when I got it, ordered new parts and here she is
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ow/image-4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ow/image-3.jpg

I'm a hard core 1/8 scale racer and always wanted to get a crawler for the off season. I bought a LIGHTLY used Venom Creeper and want to do some upgrades but an a bit lost. First thing I am ordering tonight is the stage two suspension. I have several questions so I will just list them, the first is the motor, guy I had it from has a 70T motor in it...lol so, my questions are

1. In the truck is a Axial EA-2 esc, will that handle a 35t motor and a bigger servo?
2. I am looking to get a motor but cant decide between brands and turns, any suggestions here would be greatly appreciate, I'm thinking 35T rockstar or Tekin HD
3. Depending on motor, what pinion would be a good starting point?
4. I need a better servo, any suggestions there without adding a extenal BEC?
5. Also, I see alot of Venoms with the "cage" style body where you can make your own panels to get your own look, where do you get those online.

I realize this is alot of questions, and I could find the answers in all the posts, but have read ALOT and I'm just as confussed as when I started....lol

ratterd 12-07-2013 05:16 PM

Re: New guy with ?

Tekin makes a pretty good 35 turn hand wound motor for the money, The prices start getting steep with like a Holmes hobbies or Team Brood hand wounds but you can't beat the quality. I'm don't know about the ae2 esc's.
For a pinion 12 to 14 works good.You won't be happy with any high torque servo unless you use a external BEC. Hope this helps ya out a little.

ratterd 12-07-2013 05:20 PM

I beleave the chssis your looking at was made by rmdesignworks I'm not sure if he makes them anymore.

indianajeff 12-07-2013 05:23 PM

Ok thank you. I see alot of guys go with the 55t integy motors, would you pick that over a 35t? I am running the stock spur, I think it's a 45t.

ratterd 12-07-2013 05:45 PM

Nope ,I'm running 35 turn motor in mine with the stock spur it's got some pretty good wheel speed and it will still creep.

indianajeff 12-07-2013 06:08 PM

Ok, 35t Tekin it is and I'll go with a 14t pinion....thank you for your help and not directing me to the stickys'.

indianajeff 12-07-2013 06:42 PM

Can I use a Traxxas pinion, there are 48 pitch as well.

koltes36 12-07-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indianajeff (Post 4579051)
Can I use a Traxxas pinion, there are 48 pitch as well.

yes sir any 48 pitch pinion will work

koltes36 12-07-2013 10:17 PM

no problem man i agree with your 35 turn motor choice too! i had a creeper with a 55 turn integy and it had enough torque to break axle shafts when it got into a bind but it had very little wheel speed since then switched to a 35 turn and couldnt be happier

Docwolf 12-09-2013 09:34 AM

I run a RC4WD 35t , seems to be pretty decent for $10.

the AE-2 should do just fine.

BEC for any high torque servos, I run the $10 pros, but that is just me.

indianajeff 12-09-2013 04:13 PM

Thanks guys. Got a 35t Tekin coming, Savox 1258tg, CC 10amp BEC, 2 stage kit from CKRC, and there drive shafts, steel I believe. Anything else anyone can think of I may need? Has HR lockers in the rear and I JB'd the front.

ratterd 12-09-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indianajeff (Post 4581732)
Thanks guys. Got a 35t Tekin coming, Savox 1258tg, CC 10amp BEC, 2 stage kit from ****, and there drive shafts, steel I believe. Anything else anyone can think of I may need? Has HR lockers in the rear and I JB'd the front.

There not really CKRCs drive shafts they are all traxxas parts the yokes are steel and the shafts are plastic,They are a step or two better than the venom ones.

indianajeff 12-09-2013 08:25 PM

Ahh, i see now, the yokes are steel, the rest in Traxxas huh?

Docwolf 12-10-2013 04:31 AM

Go with either MIP or again I like my G-made carbons.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

indianajeff 12-10-2013 07:04 AM

Well, I already ordered them, if these break I'll take your advise. I noticed the motor goes in from the front, kind of backwards from what I am used to on my Mugen e buggy, but my Mugen with the Tekno chassis has the same motor placement, on that I just hook the motor wires up "backwards" from the standard way, I assume you do the same on the creeper?

Docwolf 12-10-2013 08:31 AM

you can do that or you can reverse it at the handheld (if it has the option, most digital do, even the el cheapos).

Brushed motor don't care about polarity.:badger:

indianajeff 12-12-2013 10:27 PM

I've got a Futaba 4PL, not sure if that radio can do it or not.....any idea?

Exocaged 12-13-2013 05:18 AM

Just reverse the motor wires.

indianajeff 12-13-2013 07:22 AM

Ok, this is my first brushed motor, which way is reversed?.....sorry for the idiot questions and thanks for all the help

Docwolf 12-13-2013 07:35 AM

wire it how ever it runs the direction you need it to run. i suggest to always wire a brushed motor with connectors in line. a lot of guys, like myself, run Deans. Of course you can't just reverse a deans connector on the fly. Use good bullet connectors, males on the motor, females on the ESC (or the other way, it does not matter). hook it all up, power it on, calibrate, and test. if the motor runs backwards, swap the motor leads and try again.