Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: Late arrival to the Creeper army.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

Default Late arrival to the Creeper army.

Wow. This section is pretty quiet. Let's liven it up with a new build thread! Just got a kit today in the mail (snagged on eBay). Looking forward to building it and learning what the Creeper can do. This is my second crawler and I am mainly just building it as a backup in case my main rig has a problem. I've read about the pros and cons to the creeper and decided that it looks like a fun kit to work with. Guess I will find out! Nice to meet you all. I've been lurking for a few months and finally broke down and made an account.

JackDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2015, 04:54 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Late arrival to the Creeper army.

I like the creeper and I've had a few. Unfortunately parts are scarce for them.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #3

Yeah. I noticed that the parts market is pretty slim. That's why it's going to be a backup crawler. If something vital breaks and I can't get a replacement part, I will probably frankenstein it with other manufacturer parts. It looks like a lot of these parts are interchangeable with modifications. Or I could flip the parts back onto eBay. It looks like people love the axles on these (avg selling price of $75+/-). The wheels and tires have a strong following as well. I have to say, after reading the manual and looking everything over this rig is nicer than I expected it to be.

Building starts today! Gonna party like it's 2008! :P
Old 03-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #4

So far so good. This is a pretty nice kit. I like how the lock-able differentials work. The tires seem awesome. I am looking forward to finding out how they perform.

Apparently, this screw is why I ended up getting this kit on ebay for a good price. The previous owner started building the kit and got to step 6. The hex in this screw was totally stripped and it was only halfway installed. It appears the person got overwhelmed (ragequit) and packed everything back in the box.

I Ordered a new set of them online and a set of set screws for the driveshafts because that appears to be the only part bag that didn't make it back into the box.

On a bonus note... the seller got mixed up and packed a new set of HPI Savage shocks in the box. Profit!

Good times!
Old 03-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #5

I seen this on ebay thought I'd pass since i already have 2.5 lol parts are getting more difficult to find but they are out there. Just built number 2 although ive had a few of these in the past. I was short a drive axle for one axle. I did the axial shaft mod and put it in the rear. I also used the axial knuckles on both sides (So they look the same). These are a great crawler in my opinion. Only real downfall is the shocks are leaky and longer than most shocks. Easy to remount a shorter shock though. Good luck with your build you'll enjoy it.
hotrod87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:51 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. It is good to know that the axial parts are useable if needed. I just built the shocks yesterday and they don't seem to leak (yet). My G-Made Gtransition shocks leak a little which is a bummer. My only gripe about the Venom shocks is that the spring rub is annoying when you set them up loose. If you tighten the tension then the springs don't rub at all. Might not be a big deal once it is all set up, it might be best running them tight anyways.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
RCC Addict

While the selectable locker is a good idea, it never holds up (especially with weighted wheels and more power). The remedy to this is JB welding the spider gears or the method I went with was FLM spools
Creeper Diff Locker, Venom Creeper, FLM76100

The second essential mod is to make CVD pin retainers (Pin Lox as RMDW called them). He stopped making them long ago but if you search around I'm sure there is a thread with a DIY how to for them. Basically it eliminates the need for set screws in the CVD, which takes away 2 pressure points...not to mention your CVD pin cant fall out.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yeah good stuff. I still have a set of creeper axles under a 1/6 F150 truck. Selectable lockers are functional as well but I have the alloy diff cases to help them survive. As for the axle pin, the Gen2 came with nice red collars that keep them in place. I have gen 1 and gen 2 axles in mine on my gen 1 axles I uses a small piece of aluminum can to wrap it with superglue holding it on. Works fine so far. I like these axles over the axial as they are a little bit wider than an scx but no at wide as an AR60 wraith axle.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Also, on the axles in this build, do they have the red collars?
Old 03-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocaged View Post
Also, on the axles in this build, do they have the red collars?
Nope. No red collars on the axles. The only red piece is the diff lock ring.

Progress picture. Now that it is all together and I understand how it works... I can start taking stuff apart . Actually, my first concern is the front axle seems to have a slight hesitation. The rear axle turns smooth. But the front one just isn't as perfect. I hope I didn't miss something, So I am going to take it apart just to be sure.

I have to head to the city to pick up some lexan paint for this body. That will happen over the next day or so. Overall I enjoyed putting the kit together. I didn't like that the designers had an affinity for set-screws (which I had read was the achilles heel of this rig. I also dont like how small the hex screws are on the wheels, not as much fun to tighten as other rims I have worked with.

It articulates much better than my G-Made R1. But right now I have pretty limiting shocks set up on the G-made. Though I was pretty impressed how flexy this kit is out of the box without mods. Nice!

So, I gotta take apart the axle and find the resistance... then I should shop for some guts to make this beast roll after the body is painted up.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #11
RCC Addict

welcome to the sicness ( a little late but still ) , the creeper is a great little rig . the fix for the cvd's is cut a strip of aluminum can and wrap around the outside of the axle where the pin is then use 1/2" heat shrink and secure the can with the heat shrink . go to the first page of the creeper section and look through the tips and tricks section . take your rear upper links and move them up off the top of the diff with some spacers ( you want to move them up and out ( it will eliminate the torque twist ) .
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I haven't used my creeper in over a year but still love the little rig. :-) its been transformed into an scx10 and back to a creeper. heres the thread.

Ven-Axial Trail Creeper ( Atomik pay attention! )

Last edited by Z0MB13; 03-20-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Z0MB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper6171 View Post
welcome to the sicness ( a little late but still ) , the creeper is a great little rig . the fix for the cvd's is cut a strip of aluminum can and wrap around the outside of the axle where the pin is then use 1/2" heat shrink and secure the can with the heat shrink . go to the first page of the creeper section and look through the tips and tricks section . take your rear upper links and move them up off the top of the diff with some spacers ( you want to move them up and out ( it will eliminate the torque twist ) .
Thanks for the tips! It seems like the driveshafts are a royal pain in the ass with these. I thought about getting the sleeves on eBay, but they sell for $20! Hell, I will probably just get a set of G-made axles ($35) and replace them altogether, because I really like the ones on my R1. I wish I thought of that sooner... now it's all assembled and I used the thread lock where instructed. Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0MB13 View Post
I haven't used my creeper in over a year but still love the little rig. :-) its been transformed into an scx10 and back to a creeper. heres the thread.

Ven-Axial Trail Creeper ( Atomik pay attention! )
It is soooo tempting to just dive into installing a frame just like you did! I am resisting the urge for now because I really should just have fun with the rig while stock and not go overboard right away. I have to remind myself that this Creeper is just a secondary rig and I should finish up my G-made project. :P

-----------------------------

So, I took the axle apart that seemed to have some resistance. I couldn't find anything wrong. I think the axles just need a few runs to get comfortable. The sleeves that the axle pins slide into aren't 100% smooth even with plenty of lube. I think I will just run the rig a few times and see if it loosens up a bit. Got some paint yesterday. Going to paint up the body today. Nothing fancy.

I also ordered a nicer set of hex bit wrenches. Working on this rig with cheap L hex wrenches is a pain. I should have bought some long ago.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Oh i know I ran my creeper for 2 years before converting it to the ven-axial.
Z0MB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

If your axles didn't come with the red collars chances are good you got the excellent Gen1 pinion gears in the axles. That's a great thing. Do the aluminum can wrap mod. Also your pinions and trans outputs have flats to secure the driveshafts and the Gmade uses a through pin. A standard set screw won't hold for long but you can make a collar around the Gmade shaft and with a long set screw it will work, I've done that. One thing I love about these axles is they are ready for 4ws but if you don't want that you can get aluminum lockouts for the rear.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocaged View Post
If your axles didn't come with the red collars chances are good you got the excellent Gen1 pinion gears in the axles. That's a great thing. Do the aluminum can wrap mod. Also your pinions and trans outputs have flats to secure the driveshafts and the Gmade uses a through pin. A standard set screw won't hold for long but you can make a collar around the Gmade shaft and with a long set screw it will work, I've done that. One thing I love about these axles is they are ready for 4ws but if you don't want that you can get aluminum lockouts for the rear.
Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated. Yes, the four wheel steering would be pretty awesome. That might be something I will dive into later. I noticed the aluminum HR lockouts on eBay for $22... seems like the first upgrade everyone shoots for if they don't want 4WS. I am fence-sitting on picking up a set. Mainly because I broke down and ordered an SCX-10 frame set to either convert either of my rigs to a frame set up that will accommodate the bumper/winch/landrover body that I am aiming to integrate into a scale build. I have to pace myself money wise or my wife will kill me!

Body painted and mounted. Ordered a digital servo and I am hunting for a possible Speed Control / Radio deal on the bay.

I already have a motor that I plan on putting in it. However, I have no idea what it is... hahah. I bought it used eons ago and it doesn't have a label. I think its a 55 turn because I vaguely remember the eBay seller stating it is a great crawler motor. Unfortunately, the can doesn't have a label... So, I guess I will find out how good it is when I install it. (I should have saved the auction information. ah well.)

Old 03-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #17

I had a Creeper back in 09' when they first came out. I LOVED it. There wasn't anywhere it couldn't go (as long as the diff locks stayed in place) It seemed to be built solid and had a good feel to it.
I used heat shrink tubing on the CVs to keep the pins in, which worked well but required periodic inspections to make sure they were staying put. The diff lockers were terrible, I tried the servo operated remote lockers, but they never worked right from the beginning. Eventually, I ended up using a strategically placed screw on the front axle to keep it locked. I used a spring attached to the rear locker slide switch to hold it in the locked position so I could still manually unlock it when I wanted to. (which wasn't very often)
I miss my Creeper and wish I could get my hands on one. I still don't know why they stopped making them. Too many issues? Not enough demand? The crawler king made a come back, so maybe the Creeper will have it's day again soon?
bimmerben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

any updates?
i just got one of these and researching and getting ready to start tinkering
jamesthe1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #19

I am thinking of getting one of these and transforming it into a comp buggy
nudge2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #20
No idea what I'm doing

I know this thread started awhile ago but I wanted to throw this in to the mix.

Make sure you take a good look at the VCD pins. There were a lot of blowout issues with the long side and here is an explanation why:

C*H*U*D's Creeper

This might be why Jack noticed the front axle isn't turning very smoothly.

I loved the Creeper and still have mine. It's been a LONG time since I've driven it, but I've never blown out a VCD.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote

Late arrival to the Creeper army. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arrival time on Friday. SubaruDriftBoy Northeast National Championship 7 06-10-2013 03:55 PM
my honcho from arrival till now and more to come(pic heavy) Trail_crazy9187 2.2 Scale Rigs 0 02-13-2012 08:51 AM
ECC arrival times and locations............ Scattman Florida 26 04-16-2011 09:38 PM
Bubba Army creeper BrentH Venom Creeper 113 02-07-2011 01:47 PM
AX10 arrival? HULK Newbie General 5 09-15-2007 10:49 PM