Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: venom creeper issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default venom creeper issue

Ok, hello to all. This is my first post and I appreciate the help in advance.
Today we were at a local hobby shop. Looking at everything from cars to planes to board games. As we are browsing I see the owner bring out a Venom creeper safari. It was his personal vehicle that he was selling. My boy liked it so I picked it up for him. Today we had a great day at the park driving on walking trails. We get it home and I recharge the batteries.
We wanted to show mom how awesome this thing was so I take it outside and it's having a hard time climbing a slight incline on moist grass. I bring it inside and start inspecting it. In 4x4 the front right tire spins and the and the left rear spins. Not all four.
This blew my mind because it was working fine and didn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary . Could you lead me in the direction to where the issue is? I would take it to the hobby shop tomorrow but they are closed on Sundays . Also in two wheel drive I'm only the one front tire spins. Do you think something stripped or failed?
Thank you,
Thomas

Last edited by coldfire; 03-14-2015 at 08:38 PM.
coldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: venom creeper issue

As I inspect some more I notice the rear wheel will grab in one direction but not another . I can hear it "slipping" in the center of the axle. Are there gears in the diff that are fragile? If so are parts avaliable to fix it?
Old 03-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If the safari version uses the same axles as the original, then it has lockable differentials. You should see a slide of sorts on each axle. Want say right front and left rear facing awsy fron center are where the slides are.
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yes there are locking differential axles. And there is a switch on the axle to lock them into both tires spinning. I always had the problem of them unlocking on their own so I took the axle apart and put a washer behind the red locker ring to make sure it always had all tires spinning.

scoggdog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

The locker is working. When locker is not engaged one front tire spins. When I engage the locker one front tire spins and one rear tire spins. Front right and rear left are spinning.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Any more ideas peeps?
Old 03-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Youve got something stripped or worn out or broken in the drive train. Disengaged you should have one front and one rear pulling. Engaged all 4 should be pulling.

I'd almost bet the pins on the locker ring are shot. Was a common problem.

And unless the previous owner rigged a "dig" unit, there shouldnt be 2wd or 4wd, only whether the diffs were open or locked

Last edited by nharkey85; 03-15-2015 at 04:29 PM.
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

yep sounds like the locking ring issue , pull the axle apart and either replace the lock ring or there are a few different lockers on the market ( i think still avail ) you can also clean all of the grease residue out of the center gear section and jbweld or epoxy the gears together . i might have a couple of the paradox lockers i would part with ( message me on here and i will check my stash of parts to see what i have )
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I took the axles apart. It was the spider gears inside the diff. I ended up jb welding the axles to the diff and it will just be locked permently. Little man just like driving in the yard so I don't see it being a issue. Thanks for your input.

venom creeper issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock racer and crawer in one? craigrobbo General Crawlers 0 08-26-2008 06:26 AM
frist scale Crawer ak_rider 2.2 Scale Rigs 14 04-19-2008 07:21 AM