Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Vermont

Notices

Thread: Mt Mansfield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Mt Mansfield

I'm starting slowly to check at spots for us to go! for now we are 3 guys, one from Quebec City, so he is already 3hs away from me! Montpelier is pretty much in the middle! that could be a good start!
rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

There is great crawling at the dam on RT 12 just a couple miles out of Montpelier.

Also great terrain nearby on Shady Rill rd. There is a brook there with lots of rocks.

If you want a day-hike, then Spruce mountain, or Hunger mountain, or White Rock mountain all make excellent scaler-friendly hikes in the range of 4 to 8 miles round-trip.

Quechee gorge is about an hour south of montpelier, and sometimes the water levels make it innaccessable, but it is definately some of the finest crawling the state has to offer.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all those places! I think i'll have to check those places one after another and figure out which one could be the best for everyone!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

most of those mounts are around Mt Mansfield? I wondered where was Mt Mansfield..just potted it on the map! it's close to Ben and Gerry's...so I know where it is ;)
Old 02-26-2014, 05:52 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

lol.

It seems like I'm always hearing people refer to ben an jerrys like it's a Vermont landmark.

Mount Mansfield is relatively close to ben and jerrys, and the other mountains are within a half hour or so.

TO EVERYONE: we need to pick a date, and a back-up-weather-didn't-cooperate-date to make this happen. I keep looking at Jus' pic and thinking "that looks awesome

I don't mind the cold, and kinda like snow wheeling if it's not undriveable. Sooooo, how about saturday April 5th with a backup of the next weekend saturday the 12th? Maybe I'm overly optimistic about the weather cooperating, but there's only one way to find out...
Old 02-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

hehe it's quite strange, because the farther I've been in Vermont is Waterbury! I'm the mountain kind of guy, but my girlfriend, not so much! I've been to New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maine, but I didnt explored much of Vermont, except Grand Isle for camping and Burlington of course...If you are officially planning for the 5th of April, i'll see if I can make it! If you dont mind a Canadian around ;)
Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #27
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
lol.

It seems like I'm always hearing people refer to ben an jerrys like it's a Vermont landmark.

Mount Mansfield is relatively close to ben and jerrys, and the other mountains are within a half hour or so.

TO EVERYONE: we need to pick a date, and a back-up-weather-didn't-cooperate-date to make this happen. I keep looking at Jus' pic and thinking "that looks awesome

I don't mind the cold, and kinda like snow wheeling if it's not undriveable. Sooooo, how about saturday April 5th with a backup of the next weekend saturday the 12th? Maybe I'm overly optimistic about the weather cooperating, but there's only one way to find out...
The winter we're having? We'd be lucky to get up there before June. I definitely want to have a GTG this year though, that's for sure. it'll be awesome. I can't stand the wait. I've got seriously bad cabin fever.

Last edited by Jus; 02-27-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

I could do camping at Smuggler's Notch or Underhill depending of where you guys start! Got everything! I get a package of ballpark and booze and I'm ready to go!
Old 02-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
The winter we're having? We'd be lucky to get up there before June. I definitely want to have a GTG this year though, that's for sure. it'll be awesome. I can't stand the wait. I've got seriously bad cabin fever.
Same here. I wish I could have made Quechee with you guys last year. This year for sure!
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #30

I'm in for a gtg at mt Mansfield. I'm going to try to plan a GTG at Oakledge Park in South Burlington this summer as well.
RandallRedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Seeing as how there is another foot of snow on the ground today, I'm finally willing to admit my overly-optimistic wish date of April 5th is officially just a fantasy.

But maybe we could realistically hope for May 3rd or 4th?

I'm in for the Oakledge park adventure. Keep us posted.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #32
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't bother nailing down any dates until the snow actually starts melting consistently. With no more freezing temps.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:51 AM   #33

I am in Highgate, and building a course in my back yard, once the snow melts...... Once I get it done, will post some pics.....might even be able to have a crawl party there.........
DarenFranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

There are a number of good places to go. Never crawled at Oakledge and I live pretty close to it.... Crawling at the dam in Essex Junction is definitely one of the best spots as long as the water isn't too high. Hike wise, Snake Mountain in Addison is fun. Decent length hike and varying terrain. Definitely need to have some GTG's. Crawling alone is only so much fun.
trombley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

This crazy thing happened today, snow and ice was melting! So is it okay to pick a day yet? Though I was scraping ice off my windshield only yesterday morning...

I see that the Bradford Vermonster is May 3-4, so how about the next weekend either May 10 or 11? Course NERCC hasn't yet posted a schedule, so that might end up being the TTC weekend, but they do it on a Sunday, so Saturday might still work.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #36
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't attempt Mansfield until June. At least for me, it's too far to travel only to find out the summit still has snow. I'm not entirely sure when the road actually opens.

I know you want to get out there and crawl, we all do, but gotta come up with a location that isn't 4300ft above sea level if you want to plan a GTG in May.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Well, found out Goss's Mud Bog is May 11th. Have to go flog my 1:1 there.

NERCC TTC is ussually the 3rd or 4th sunday in May, which is coming right up.

I got a wedding I have to go to on June 7th. So how about the 8th or the next weekend?

Any chance we can hit up Oakledge Park sometime before that? I'm not sure how dependant on water levels that area is.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #38
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I don't know how closely you follow NERCC but I just talked to Drail the other day and it sounds like they are all but disbanded.

I'd like to get some of you down my way and hit the hiking trails on Mt Ascutney. It is a lot of fun, but more importantly for me.. I'm flat broke at the moment and my one and only vehicle isn't even on the road at the moment, but I really want to crawl with you guys.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Alright, I think it's safe to say that summer is finally here.

Had an epic day at Goss's mud bog yesterday, so now it's time to focus on the 1/10 trucks.

So any takers on hiking Mt Mansfield with toy trucks on June 8th?

How about Quechee gorge the next weekend, the 14th or 15th. I'm practically dying to go back there.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #40

I can do quechee gorge on the 14th of june. I'll see if I can pull some of my local guys to come. Also trying to get a couple of guys down from st. Albans.
RandallRedwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Mt Mansfield - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New rock crawling corse Sluggers hobby shop,mansfield ohio Fatboy Ohio 80 03-05-2014 01:56 PM
Found a new spot in Mansfield du4x4 Texas 0 03-12-2011 04:00 PM
Losi Micro comps in mansfield/ ashland /wooster area theholybull Ohio 1 01-05-2010 08:27 PM
Mansfield/Bucyrus area shops?? BADASSPONY Ohio 5 12-10-2009 08:12 AM
Anything is the mansfield area hilux87 Ohio 1 10-03-2009 05:21 PM