Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Vermont

Notices

Thread: Mt Mansfield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Mt Mansfield

I just visited the mountain for the first time a couple weeks ago. My wife and I drove up the auto road that goes up near the top. From there it's a 1.5 mile hike to the summit. The whole trail from what I can see is all rock.

Seems to me it'd be a pretty epic scale "expedition" What better place for a bunch of Vermonters to conquer with their toy trucks than the summit of the highest peak in the state? .

Only problem I foresee is the arctic alpine zone that exists up there. It's home to some very rare and fragile plants that are easily disturbed or destroyed. I saw dogs running around NOT on a leash and no one seemed to care about THAT so I'm thinking we wouldn't get kicked off the mountain for driving RC trucks up there.. Especially since we want to stick to the rocks anyway, which is what they recommend you do anyway.

It's expensive to drive up the auto road, I believe it was $28 for a vehicle and up to 6 occupants. So depending on how many of us there were we could pile into one vehicle and split the cost and it'd work out well.

Does this sound appealing to anyone??? The arctic alpine zone thing is concerning but if we could pull it off and stay respectful to the environment it'd be doing a service to 4x4 in the 1:1 AND RC world alike.

For anyone that's never been up there.. A shot of the summit, taken from the parking lot of the very top of the auto road.

I didn't really drive around at all with my wraith.. Just to took a few pics.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mt Mansfield

Sure, sign me up. I like the idea of car-pooling up the mountain.

So it would be a 3-mile round trip hike? Sound like I need to pick up a couple more batteries.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Actually, you can park for free on the Notch road (10, and it's a 1/2 - 1 mile hike to the summit. Sterling Pond is up there and super beautiful. There's a bunch of super sweet trails up there, and always wanted to try it. I may scope it out this weekend and find a course.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Jus
I wanna be Dave

tedo - have you had a chance to scope out the area that you mentioned?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #5

ive a got a toyota tacoma that we could all ride in. i mean i would drive and everyone could ride in the bed of the truck. im totally interested in doing this. ive never done rc crawling with anyone besides myself. and i was wondering what day this would occur.
thanks landcruiser king.
landcruiser king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I like the idea of not paying to drive up the mountain, but I need a good address or GPS coordinates of where to go so I don't get lost, which tends to happen whenever I drive more than an hour from home...

Finally got a couple 5000MAH packs, so I'm set for literally hours.

Someone pick a date and location.

I'm going to PA August 23-25 and going to Manchester on Sunday July 21, and my daughters birthday is July 27th, so any other date would be fine with me.

How is July 13th looking?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I've PM'd with tedo and he's going to scout it and report back in the next couple weeks.

I've got something going on July 20th, other than that I'm pretty wide open.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hiking up is the way to go, but its not a walk in the woods, well is it, but it goes UP! Great hike though.

I was just up there last weekend. Very green with all the rain.

I dont get on here much, meatmonkey, if you guys end up doing this shoot me a call. We can ride up in the Camry? Seats 5 with a trunk for gear?

See if this map works, that the trail head going up. Its part of the long trail. You park about 100 feet up the road from that.

http://goo.gl/maps/qMKvs
Hyde802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

We need to do this before winter!

Hows the weekend of the 21-22 of September work for everyone else? That's in two weeks.

I finally got enough batteries to make this trip.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I'm going to the race in Loudon that weekend.

-Jon
trombley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Well then how about the next weekend the 28 or 29?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
Jus
I wanna be Dave

meatmonkey,

My wife and I were up there the friday that you were down in PA at the RC4wd scale event.

We made it about half way to the summit. Got a late start and was going to run out of day light. What I did get to see and experience was really fun terrain. Some of it pretty extreme, even for the Wraith. I wouldn't do it with anything else unless you want a REAL challenge with lots of winching or "hands of God" intervening.

I definitely want to do it with a bunch of people but I'm not sure we can plan it to happen this fall. I don't know how late that mountain cooperates with the good weather and getting at least 4-5 people together may be impossible this fall.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

The 29th would be good for me and being Sunday, my buddy Nick would probably be able to go too.

-Jon
Old 09-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

So Jus, does the 29th work for you?

Say meet somewhere near the bottom of the mountain and car-pool up?

Meet at 9AM, 9:30?

I can bring my Wraith (finally got that new servo I've been saving for), and the SCX as a backup.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

So I learned that the bradford Vermonster is the weekend of the 28-29. I'm going to that saturday.

I'd still rather do this sunday if anyone else is willing to meet at the bottom of the autoroad and carpool up.

If anyone wants to make this adventure let me know. It's about an hour and a half drive for me, and I tend to sleep in on the weekends, so the earliest I could realistically be there is 9AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I'm not sure anymore. My good battery pack puffed up on me and my backup doesn't want to hold a charge. Too broke to get new batteries right now....

-Jon
Old 09-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I have a couple 5000mah 2s packs you can use if they fit your application. Have Traxxas plugs, I also have an adapter for Anderson Powerpoles.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Hello Guys! i'm no Vermonter but i'm pretty close to the border...this fall, I dont think I can make it, but I was maybe planning to go camping accross the border with a couple of friends next spring...we will probably be looking for people that knows the areas and nice trails to do some scale rides! We would probably leave from my house on a early saturday morning, ride all day, camp at night (hot dogs and booze will be planned for sure) and maybe a little ride the next morning and after that we would head home...would you guys be interested?
rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

No takers for this weekend eh.

Oh well, at least I get to take my 1:1 truck to bradford for some abuse on Sunday, and work on my new-to-me Camry on saturday.

If you canadians are headed into central VT, like Montpelier area, then I know of a few good hikes in the area, all leading to mountain tops.

If you want to see some of the best crawling VT has to offer you need to drive south enough to hit up Quechee gorge.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

We would probably Don't want to go more than 3 h away, more driving less scaling, but I got all winter to plan this!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Mt Mansfield - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New rock crawling corse Sluggers hobby shop,mansfield ohio Fatboy Ohio 80 03-05-2014 01:56 PM
Found a new spot in Mansfield du4x4 Texas 0 03-12-2011 04:00 PM
Losi Micro comps in mansfield/ ashland /wooster area theholybull Ohio 1 01-05-2010 08:27 PM
Mansfield/Bucyrus area shops?? BADASSPONY Ohio 5 12-10-2009 08:12 AM
Anything is the mansfield area hilux87 Ohio 1 10-03-2009 05:21 PM