Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Vermont

Notices

Thread: Whats everyone up to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Whats everyone up to?

Forums been dead for a while. Whats everyone up to? Finding any good places to crawl this summer?
Hyde802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Since the floods I've found pretty good crawling in just about every riverbed. I'm lucky that theres one right next to my apartment.

Been putting many hours on my waterproofed SCX. Only breakage has been a driveshaft and a knuckle, which I find very impressive for the abuse this things been through.

Hate to admit it, but I've been neglecting my AX-10 cause it's just been to darn hot to stand out in the sun on the rocks when I can hang out near the water. Plus it needs trans bearings, which I just ordered today.

meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Looks good! I havent had time to really get out other than a few laps around my driveway.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Accumulating parts and building a scaler.
sickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sickness- What are building for a scaler? Where in VT are ya?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

West Newbury, Conn River side of the state, Axial axles, rc4wd r2 tranny, s10 hardbody truggy
sickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I've been doing more and more tinkering with my scalers and have continued to have a blast driving them.

I've hiked up this little old mountain in Claremont, NH called Arrowhead. Used to be skiing. There's an ATV trail which is how I know about it. It's a really fun trail for the scalers.. Some really steep hardpacked dirt with a few rocks and roots mixed in. The most fun after rain. Not muddy but very slick. The RC4wd Boggers really shine in this stuff.

Here's the top of the trail. It's the top of the highest ski lift lane. Basically all ledge, but very little actual challenging lines unfortunately.

Didn't have the boggers this trip, but the Baja Claws didn't do half bad..And certainly work better on the rocks.

Next time up I may take the Honcho instead. That truck has a recently added HH 35t *expert* machine wound 540. Light years ahead of the Integy. This pic was taken on the Connecticut River in N. Walpole, NH this spring. The most recent I have of the HOncho.

Last edited by Jus; 08-21-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Been eyeing this spot just out of Wolcott for a while now, finally decided to check it out with the crawler.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Got a new crawler. Its q 16 maxstone and this $13 biglots body fits it perfect.

What everyone else been up to?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Still playing in the Riverbeds. Probably going to go through withdrawls when the snow gets here.

Also been playing at the East Barre dam on the evenings after work with my AX, but sorry no pics.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

No way. Snowwheelins the best.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Can't believe you got another one. Once the addiction bites, its just always there. Looks good other than the obnoxious light bar and Police stickers.

Yeah, fullsize snow wheelin's a bomb. It's part of my excersice routine. Drive, get stuck, shovel/drag winch cable, Repeat.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Got some new shots. Because of this little cheap truck, I had 2 other wheelin buddies get one.

And now that my real wheeler is up and running strong again, I try to get some seat time in that as much as possible.

Thats all for now.

Meatmonkey, Whats your Lifesizer look like...or anyone else for that matter.

Last edited by Hyde802; 12-01-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

You've seen my POS fullsizer, the 86. And it's due for more CV shafts.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thats what I thought. Just made that connection.. Haha.

You should be running the auto zone shafts. Guaranteed for life. Blow them up, bring them back.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

It sounds pathetic, but the only shafts that hold up to even mild abuse are used old stockers. I've managed to destroy any reman'd CV in about five minutes after hub lockage. Even the brand new EMPI shafts from Fishers only lasted like maybe a half hour of wheeling. The Welded diff is hard on parts, but I wouldn't trade the capability for anything.

The used shafts that are in there now lasted three trail rides, and two days abuse at Bradford with drunk idiots driving it on the rocks like they stole it, and then about three hours of flogging in high range at a horrendous mud bog. Now the driver side clicks pretty bad. I try to change them out before they totally blow and cause extra stress on the diff output shafts and steering. I've gotten pretty good at changing them though, I don't even have to jack the truck up or take the tire off and it takes easily under an hour with hand tools. I just always bring a spare CV or two with me into the woods so I don't need it, cause if I don't bring on, I'll break one.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

What happened to the 4runner with the aussie in the front?

Do you think a locker over the welded rear would help with the cvs?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

The 4runner is in a million pieces. Body and Frame still at black rock. The aussie is in another 4runner that I sold.

I would prefer an aussie, or other automatic locker, in the front as opposed to the spool. Reason being is that once you get used to their locking/unlocking/racheting characteristics you can often times manipulate them by getting on an off the throttle in a certain rythum (some toyota's will just naturally do it at idle in 1rst, low range) while turning to net a much smaller turning radius on most surfaces and in doing so reduces much of the constant stress on the front drivetrain. So yes, in my experience the locker does help with CV shaft life.

But they cost money. And my truck ain't made of money.

However, in the rear I truly prefer a spool for the predictablity and full time traction. The rear tires scuff much easier than the fronts, and the rear end is much stronger, so I don't see any downsides to the spooled rear, other than the dirty looks johnny law gives you while pulling into a parking spot...

On another note, I had to feed my addiction, so I have a roller Wraith kit sitting on my workbench waiting for more time to install the electronics.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Whats everyone up to?

THats sick. My buddys giving a wraith to his son for xmas. He called me over tonight to check it out.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Whats everyone up to?

I guess that's three confirmed Wraith's in the state, cause I know Jus got one too.

Lousy pic I know. No action shots cause every time I drive it I strip out the servo gears, I have two broken expensive Hitec 7954's and I'm out of servo's and budget till next month.

Lexan skid to help it float on the snow. Also acts a little like a swaybar.

Gonna make another one for the rear.

SCX playing on lunch break at work. It is incredible how well the Pitbulls grab at ice. Way better than the 2.2 R35 compound Ripsaws.

And I gotta say, now that this little Jeep has a Junfac rear driveshaft and a Revo front, it is almost bulletproof, other than the three punctures I've already put in the sidewalls of the Pitbulls. It and my Blitz are the only RC's I've ever owned where I spend more time driving them than working on.

Don't know what your doing New years eve, but theres a barn party in Washington at the Notch, and I'm hoping to trailer my junk out there. Located more spare CV's, now I just need to barter for shop time at Black Rock Coal. And I wish I had pics of how "self clearanced" the bellypan is after Bradford and a few days of logging.

Looks like your woods truck is street legal, is that so?