Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Vermont

Notices

Thread: Ultra4 racing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Ultra4 racing?

Hello,
I am just getting familiar with the Vermont section, sorry.

After seeing the huge turnout at the Ultimate Scale Challenge last weekend, is there any interest in starting a Ultra4 track? I used to race truggies at our track in Burlington with a few guys, and then I had a kid, and my racing days were over (but I kind of want to get back into it).

I think it would be cool to get some u4 going. I used to have a TH, and now have a Yeti on Pre Order...

I am also game for just crawling too. I live in Winooski, so I always go to the Essex Damn (which is super awesome).

And hello! Names Ted.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Ultra4 racing?

Yeah I've been eyeing the yeti as well. Still a toss up between that or a wraith. Either way I probably won't get one until the spring. But the USC guys said they could get into some U4 racing if they start seeing a interest in it. Haven't been out much just got my scx10 trail worthy (bought used). I'm up in Swanton/Fairfield area but work at IBM so maybe we could do some crawling sometime down there! Names Ben
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm surprised I didn't recognize your truck Tedo. I was also at the scale challenge last weekend. I've always admired the craftsmanship you've shown on here.

Any chance you used to race at "sears lane raceway"? I occasionally "practice" there if I happen to be up in the big city.

I think the old addage "if you build it they will come" applies here. I have a Wraith I would really enjoy beating the piss out of on an Ultra4 course. Totally willing to help design/build a coarse if someone can "donate" some property. I'd even be willing to bring a couple truckloads of rock if that would help.

Any chance the Essex dam is right next to the old mill that is converted into appartments? If so, I think know where that is. Not far off of exit 15 right?
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I'm surprised I didn't recognize your truck Tedo. I was also at the scale challenge last weekend. I've always admired the craftsmanship you've shown on here.

Any chance you used to race at "sears lane raceway"? I occasionally "practice" there if I happen to be up in the big city.

I think the old addage "if you build it they will come" applies here. I have a Wraith I would really enjoy beating the piss out of on an Ultra4 course. Totally willing to help design/build a coarse if someone can "donate" some property. I'd even be willing to bring a couple truckloads of rock if that would help.

Any chance the Essex dam is right next to the old mill that is converted into appartments? If so, I think know where that is. Not far off of exit 15 right?
MM:
I actually wasn't at the event on Saturday, I just saw a bunch of pics on Instagram (looked awesome).

Yes, it was Sears Lane I used to race at. Me and a few buddies built and maintained that track for years. It was so well manicured. We all raced 1:8 scale truggies. I had a couple Mugens. It's gone to hell this summer for some reason.

Yes, that Dam is inbetween Williston and Essex. It's like driving on another planets, there is so much terrain...

As for building a track, I am 110% willing to put in a ton of labor. I was thinking sometime next spring... We need a location first. Some place central. Montpelier area or something...
Old 12-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #5

If you want central, I have some acreage we could clean up and run on.

Landscape has open fields, woods, a stream running through it and hilly areas that are almost to steep to walk up, I think we could find the perfect terrain and build a damn challenging track there.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of around 8 to 10 acres to play on.
vtlandcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Hmm interesting. We are starting to get a lot of locations popping up. Do I smell a friendly u4rc series? Hahaha
Old 12-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802coma View Post
Hmm interesting. We are starting to get a lot of locations popping up. Do I smell a friendly u4rc series? Hahaha
Yes! I mean, come on! Shouldn't Vermont really be the hub of U4RC? Does the perfectly arid, pleasant climate and amazing topography of California really make sense
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default Ultra4 racing?

I'm talking of drivers stand type racing as well lol
Old 12-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I know. The open space area is prime for a stand with large colorful umbrellas, half-naked women serving drinks with smaller colorful umbrellas and....oh wait. That's Key West.

No, I meant a couple planks of wood overlooking the field
Old 12-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Yeah well idk how everyone feels about running behind the cars during KOS. I'm no athlete, my scx10 is faster than me. Just feel like we won't be really testing the cars ability
Old 12-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Are there any spots that currently exist, a u4rc track that people run on now?
A VT series could get interesting for sure.

My area is certainly cleared enough for a fair number of people to run on all at once but if we're going for a 'stand in one spot' kinda trail system or u4rc track, then I better get more cleared to accommodate better sight lines.

What might be some good parameters for a track? (size-wise)
If we want to incorporate a stream crossing or two, it could be huge.
If we're concerned more with lap times, we could build it going that route.
vtlandcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking the stand type thing would be more up on the Moto track. But I don't know anything about these tracks, so I defer to the experts.

Making a track down below would be amazing - but like you said, it would take a "bit" more clearing . But that would be RC Valhala.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Next summer there is king of the scalers (mimic king of the hammers) this will consist of you running through the trail with your rig. It still might be fun...one class one person takes it all. Suppose to be 4 races in that series.

Now I know my friend and I been talking a u4rc track as long with a few others. Basically a short course but rough and full of rocks, but keep some high speed sections too.

Feel like that's what people want more of. Idk there's a few examples on YouTube if you look up u4rc
Old 12-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I keep seeing the Glen Hellen videos pop up (in fact they may be the only that keep popping up) when looking for U4RC tracks. That track looks super fun and despite the "marshals" looking like they're about to trip and kill themselves every 6 seconds, I think that one might be a good track to model one after. Or at least take inspiration from.

Seems the uphill part of that track stumps the most trucks, and provides a pretty cool up/down section instead of just rocks and whoops.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I think any U4 track would be killer.

I have always liked the NorCal Auburn track. It looks like it could be a blast. But then again, I am game for anything!!!

pics of track are mid-way down on first page:

norcal U4 round 1 opening day
Old 12-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

That track looks sick too!

I think this is glen Helen:

Factor in the natural beauty of Vermont and I think we could have a photo/video op extravaganza on our hands!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
That track looks sick too!

I think this is glen Helen:

Factor in the natural beauty of Vermont and I think we could have a photo/video op extravaganza on our hands!
Yes, thats Glenn Helen!

That track is awesome too!!

As long as we are all together bashing, I am happy.

I can lend manual labor too. I used to work on Sears Lane in Burlington (which was awesome).
Old 12-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
I keep seeing the Glen Hellen videos pop up (in fact they may be the only that keep popping up) when looking for U4RC tracks. That track looks super fun and despite the "marshals" looking like they're about to trip and kill themselves every 6 seconds, I think that one might be a good track to model one after. Or at least take inspiration from.

Seems the uphill part of that track stumps the most trucks, and provides a pretty cool up/down section instead of just rocks and whoops.

Marshals looking like they are gonna trip and kill themselves....that's what I'm gonna look like during KOS. Despite that I will probably still compete but driverstand is the way to go in my opinion
Old 12-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Marshals looking like they are gonna trip and kill themselves....that's what I'm gonna look like during KOS. Despite that I will probably still compete but driverstand is the way to go in my opinion
Perhaps we should kick in for some helmets to keep us all safe whilst traipsing through the woods!

Believe me Coma, you will be spending more time dragging me back to the parking lot for medical attention after I have a heart attack from too much smoking, to worry about running after your car
Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Well regardless it's gonna be a busy summer. KOS, scale comps and probably building some U4rc courses! I'm game for some work weekends so we have a place to haggle each other bahaha

Ultra4 racing? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
J-rad Racing Ultra4 buggy J-RAD686 2.2 Scale Rigs 60 01-28-2016 10:17 PM
Ultra4 racing app adamargue Chit Chat 0 10-27-2013 06:57 AM
can someone explain the lighting for KOH/ultra4/Desert racing? STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 12 07-15-2013 08:47 AM
Winner - *Giveaway* H.A.R.D. Racing Comm Lathe from Team Brood Racing - Part 2 EddieO General Crawlers 365 07-08-2011 06:06 PM