Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Vermont

Notices

Thread: 2015 King of the Scalers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 2015 King of the Scalers

I know there is some interest on this board about the KOS series that's going to be happening next season.

Well the rules are up!!!

Here's the link.... 2015 KOS Rules

Seems pretty open as far as rules go, Be interesting to see the different approach people will take with their rigs.
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2015 King of the Scalers

I wish I knew they exact dates and locations so I could put them on the family calender.

Either way, I'll do my best to attend all events. I wonder if you have to run the same truck in all events? I also wonder if they'll let a 1.9 Twin Hammers compete against the 2.2's. Track condition is going to determine, for me at least, if I should run the more capable, but slower and ill handling Wraith, or the lighter, more agile, better handling TH.

I like that the rules are pretty open. Makes it easy to abide by.

When can I visit the tractor museum? I'm already sick of snow.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

So I asked Trevor, he said yes you can change rigs from one race to another. You wanna run the twin hammers with 2.2s? Or 1.9s? Rules date 2.2 rigs...

Hopefully soon we will be underway. Just been a busy couple weeks for both of us
Old 12-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm not trying to rush the track development. I realize, that this is after all a hobby for most, an addiction for some.

I'm all for running the TH against the 2.2's, depending on the track. The TH is much better at speed/jumping/high speed handling than my Wraith, which would be my normal 2.2 U4ish rig.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Sounds awesome.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Twin Hammers will hafta have 2.2s in order to compete.

I'm looking forward to this as well. My game plan is to also do step up style jumping on the climbs haha.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I can't wait. Some date and location details would be nice to start planning ahead. But I'm glad they didn't wait until January to post the rules.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

This sounds like a blast! Thanks for posting 802.
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

No problem guys. Any particular questions I can relay them to the event guy "Trevor". As things get more official I'll be posting this in surrounding states and the events section as well. Would like to see a big showing for this stuff.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:46 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Is the guy from the KOS group not on here himself???

This sounds like it will be a ton of fun. Hard to really tell what the courses will be like from the 1 page on the site. Is it going to be like the one you guys ran last year at the Ledge? Is it very different than G6?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hey gang.

Wondering what you guys feel are the most important recovery items to have strapped to the vehicle? I've got a winch on the way, but who knew this hobby would have so many MORE options to spend my money on

Does anyone think sand ramps, pal pull, etc etc are helpful in these type of comps?

Thanks
Old 12-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
Is the guy from the KOS group not on here himself???

This sounds like it will be a ton of fun. Hard to really tell what the courses will be like from the 1 page on the site. Is it going to be like the one you guys ran last year at the Ledge? Is it very different than G6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
Hey gang.

Wondering what you guys feel are the most important recovery items to have strapped to the vehicle? I've got a winch on the way, but who knew this hobby would have so many MORE options to spend my money on

Does anyone think sand ramps, pal pull, etc etc are helpful in these type of comps?

Thanks

No he is not on the forum. I've been relaying info onto here for those who aren't on fb. I have his number so I can get answers back in a reasonable time.

Terrain sounds like it's gonna be more on the difficult side. The way the track is gonna be setup doesn't really make the yetis shine but I think that's what his plan was. Wronchos or 2.2 scx10s would have a fighting chance against the U4 built rigs. So it should be interesting to say the least.

I was kinda thinking the same thing on the items. Think I'm buddying up to have a teammate on the trail. Pulls on a strap is much faster than a winch. But sand rails would also be a quick suction as well. If it was like last comp, items that could or want to use on the trail has to start on the vehicle but once on the trail we were able to keep tow ropes in or pockets. I don't know if this would apply to pull pals and sand ramps.

Hope this helps
Old 12-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

If by "helps" you mean giving me an excuse to buy another rig for these comps - then yes, very helpful!!!

Seriously though, I have been gearing my yeti more towards being able to handle slower technical stuff, as opposed to making it screaming fast, but obviously there's a point where you're trying to make it something it's not. I've been looking for an excuse to have a more scale looking rig - this series might be the PERFECT excuse!

That's cool of you to keep in touch with him so we can have all the info. Thanks!

Last edited by motopreserve; 12-05-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Well the KOS is the "racing" series. But they do regular pointed comps as well. That's what my scx10 is for haha
Old 12-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Sorry, not sure I understand the difference??? I'm new to all this
Old 12-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

The name king of the scalers is just a rendition of the 1:1 race king of the hammers.

The scale comps is a trail, we start with 0 points and items like a rollover is 1 point, same with going off course and winching. These events have not been timed yet but solely scored like golf lol. The last event they had a couple challenges, if you were able to complete the challenge it was (-) points (some were worth more than others) and at the end of the day whoever has the least amount wins

Believe the KOS will not be point based but timed (not 100% but sounding like the case). Both events you gotta drive good but differently. KOS you will feel like you are being pushed and rushed the whole time. All the penalties stated above will still hurt you but instead of points it will be added time. It takes time to winch and to recover yourself from a rollover. So a "scaler" with a slow but torquey motor might not roll or winch the whole trail but creeping is t going to win. Where the KOS rigs are gonna have more of a rock bouncer approach to obstacles. There's going to be more fast walking/running involved with KOS.

Scale comps (like shred the ledge) = finesse
King of the scalers = speed

Make more sense? Probably confusing because they really don't have a name for the scale comp stuff. Guess it would just be the group name? Ultimate Scale Challenge??
Old 12-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

That's great. Thanks. Guess I need to quit smoking!

It is a little confusing just because there actually seem to be several variations that are at least somewhat similar.

Appreciate the clarification. I can tell you now that I will NOT be running, maybe spirited walking at best!
Old 12-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

It would seem that at the rate your going you will need to quit smoking just to afford your R/C addiction. lol. Plus think of how many positions you'll lose when you stop to take a smoke break.

If you still have your night crawler you may not need a new truck. Just purchase a larger scale-ish body to stick on it and they will let you run it in the 2.2 class. As long as you grease the worms before and after you should be able to comp it for a couple hours straight.

I personally prefer the slower, NOT time based events. But I won't miss any opportunity to play with toy trucks so I want to run all the KOS events. My motto when 1:1 wheelings is "as slow as possible, yet as fast as necessary", and it has mostly carried over to my 1/10 driving style.

I'm really curious as to how the scoring works, cause it seemed like noone knew how it worked at STL. Where finishing positions ever announced? Anyone know how many points things like USC stickers, badges, "rock" where weighted compared to points for rollover/HOG/touch?

Really all you need for recovery gear is a couple 3 foot tow straps and someone who's not stuck as well. Winching is way to slow, and most cheaper winches can't be relied on 100%. With some creativity you can make a "wheel winch" out of your tow straps.

I went to the East Coast Scale Challenge the last two years and saw so many winches either burn out, or snap the line, or simply stall out that I don't even want to deal with the hassle and weight. I was able to finish all their coarses with no rollovers and no winches. But, their courses where a walk in the woods compared to the STL course. I did see some people using sand ladders. The uest ones seemed to be stamped out of sheetmetal and had many dimple died holes for traction and rigidity, and were super light. Most where homemade. The really nice ones you could hook two together, either linked solid, or so it could pivot, and seemed surprisingly useful.

802Coma hit the nail on the head with the similarites and differences between the two types of events. The only other thing I would add is that when rock racing you may be willing to sacrifice raw forward traction for high-speed stability and handling, by running an open/Fluid filled front differential. Where as when scale comping your always going to want that locked front diff.

Don't feel bad, I can't run for crap either, much less while driving at speed. I did a King of Hammers style event at East Coast Scale Challenge which was 1.7 miles and it took me just over a half and hour. I was so winded at the end I thought I was going to pass out. Worst part is the Wraith was only geared for about 8 mph topend and I still couldn't keep up towards the end.

I never thought that scale trucks would ever have events, much less a series, in the green mountain state so I'm pretty pysched about these USC nutjobs and really hope they stick around.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Sadly with the rate I'm at it, if I quit smoking I could afford a championship winning 1:1 rig to drive my RC truck to the race! .

I went for a run again in the woods tonight with Kurt on the property we were talking about. I'll post another video in the other thread when I get it edited. We went down to the stream and all through that area. Hard to say how much better/worse it was because of the snow (couldn't tell if it helped make things more level). Regardless, it could be cleared without much issue.

Super fun and for sure I was winded when I got back! Maybe this RC stuff is my road to athletic salvation. Who'd have thunk it?
Old 03-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #20

Any dates and places, yet? Need to clear the schedule.
HCCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

2015 King of the Scalers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scalers rc. Output volterra and monte serra. 7 scalers in action gionata78 Scale Videos! 0 07-08-2013 04:18 PM
Wheelie King Scalers Crawling Calvin HPI Wheely King 13 06-04-2010 02:15 PM
South Bay Scalers King of Mini Hammers event rckjeep Competitions 13 09-12-2009 01:26 AM
wheely king scalers, yeah... im addicted. boostamante HPI Wheely King 16 11-14-2008 06:10 PM