Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Videos!

Notices

Thread: Mastodon II Returns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Mastodon II Returns

Hey guys, I haven't posted here in a while. I'll admit it, I'm not a hardcore crawler, but I am a hardcore RC enthusiast involved with many aspects of the hobby. When I built this truck 2 years ago, it seemed people would build either a dedicated comp rig or a true scaler, and they'd ask what I was trying to accomplish. I did not know, I wanted a little of both. So I kind of back burnered it, until I figured out what I wanted it to be. Since then I've been seeing more and more of these, "Tweeners" or "Gray Area Rigs", as I've read Jason Carter describe them. Now I'm feeling as if my truck might fit in somewhere.

We were running our nitro cars out at our basher track, when it came up that a few of us had crawlers. We got the talking about running the coarse they set up at One Hobbies, just north of Phoenix. They were saying it is not set up very well. With lots of holes and high bite rocks, it is an axle breaker. I was actually surprised how well my old rig did. My only weakness being my electronics. To help the stock ESC out, I've since dropped my gearing to 13/96, and my old 45 turn was getting worn out, so my friend hooked me up with a 65-turn he wasn't using. I borrowed a high torque servo from my Matrix buggy, which is actually quite a step up from the Tower Pro I was using. I took it back to the rocks around my house, that it used to struggle on, and I think it does really well now. I was proud of it, so I had to make a vid to show it off.

So, I guess this is the video section, and not the story telling section, so I will shut up now, and post a link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fpkNa-wa9Y
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

love the gates. really creative. are those wk axles?
norcallump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcallump View Post
love the gates. really creative. are those wk axles?
Thanks! The gates were just laying on the ground, I should have thought to use them sooner.

It is Wheely King based. Still has the stock axles, tranny, and shocks.

Just got a set of hand me down Rock Claws. Traction is so much better than those old Moabs! I also borrowed a 7.4v Lipo, and it really woke it up. That just went to the top of my shopping list!
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote