Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Videos!

Notices

Thread: lipo danger!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default lipo danger!

i found this video on you tube just now...makes lipo the "evil" battery!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DcpANRFrI4
rccrawler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Wow. I mean a car is dangerous too. You can run people over. Just like anything else, don't use it right and bad things can happen....It's called safety! Vids like this kinda make me mad.
tstmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

ya no shit right! i was kinda mad to when i found it.. kinda felt like they thought we were dumb asses.. i bet the guy talking in it dose not even own any rc cars
rccrawler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Here's a better one thats just showing facts and not biased.

Also show's why a lipo sack or metal box is necessary to safely store them and charge them. Remember, this can happen if you let them go undercharged too! Ask my wife why she stores her heli lipos in a seperate ammo box from the ammo box we charge in. She'll tell you that she's not letting hundreds of dollars of lipo go up in flames again from a short in one pack! Thats just her issue though. Read down to see my own personal battery problems.

Charge and store in an ammo box

Last edited by Rig Rocker; 11-25-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

And definitely don't charge lipos in your rig:

Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You can get ammo boxes everywhere.

Usually at surplus store for $10 or less

And here's the best and only complete lipo containment system:

http://www.lipolocker.com

Last edited by Rig Rocker; 11-24-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
dkf
Rock Crawler

My cell phone has a Lipo in it and I carry it everywhere. I can't believe I'm still alive.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
My cell phone has a Lipo in it and I carry it everywhere. I can't believe I'm still alive.
Your cel phone battery is nowhere as powerful as what we us in RC. And if your phone was designed with lipo technology, then it has a low voltage cutoff built in. My phone lithium ion battery says it will explode if short circuited and fire and flames will result. And it says do not overcharge or charge while unattended.

Again, not really dangerous because you won't be pushing the battery limits like we do in R/C and there will not be a high enough amp draw to cause internal shorting.

I know you were just joking about it, just wanted to make sure some kids on here take it seriously

Last edited by Rig Rocker; 11-24-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
dkf
Rock Crawler

Yeah I tried to make one of the small cell phone batteries go up in smoke. wouldn't do it.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Definately going to invest in some ammo boxes or some lipo sacks! These videos are great for educational purposes for the younger kids on here and for people who are new to the lipos, great videos guys!
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:38 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i've seen that a couple of times in my RC life ..... chit happens
strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:42 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Somene should doa video on the dangers of gasoline, hair spray, and everything else that has the potential to burst into flames. Lipos should be handled with care but this video is asinine.
Irishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I think the video is just fine. It is not saying that lipos are bad, just that they CAN be dangerous if not handled and treated properly. Its just a safety video......

They do the dame thing with all kinds of products. Showing the dangers is never a bad thing. Treat something with respect and use as intended.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
I think the video is just fine. It is not saying that lipos are bad, just that they CAN be dangerous if not handled and treated properly. Its just a safety video......

They do the dame thing with all kinds of products. Showing the dangers is never a bad thing. Treat something with respect and use as intended.

He's right. It's just for safety. Everyone knows how dangerous gasoline is. the problem is that too many young kids are getting ahold of lipos without anyone telling them of the dangers.

I've personally had two bad experiences with batteries in 26 years of R/C.
First was a few years back when a charger malfunctioned and set off an IB4200 zapped matched pack. When it went off, It was like 6 grenades or flash bangs going off in my kitchen. After the first one all the screaming started and I thought it was a home invasion robbery and grabbed my gun. Quickly realized what happened and threw the pack in my stainless garbage can after the second cell explosion. It continued to blow and destroyed my plastic can liner and blew dents in can. I was really lucky because I was sitting right behind the pack charging but had to go grab something from the other room. I would have had a head injury for sure. That was a nimh pack. And I knew the dangers but they were far less dangerous than lipos. I just got too relaxed with batteries from all the years of nothing bad happening.

The second time was recently at bean hollow beach. I was forcing my 2.2 shafty through a really tough course we set up when my rig stopped and started smoking. If I didn't have an extinguisher and sprayed it within seconds, my rig would've been toast. Quick reaction and preparedness saved me a lot of money. I am thankful that a ranger previously informed me that I should carry a portable extinguisher if I didn't want to be kicked out of parks. Thats the only reason I had the pocket extinguisher that day. That lipo fire was not caused by user error, but probably caused by an internal short which can happen to anyone, anytime.

But some people would rather shun safety and act like playing with fire isn't dangerous.

Again, this is just a heads up warning for newbies and kids. Responsible adults should already know the dangers of lipo packs so this isn't directed towards them.

Here's a pic of my kitchen a few years back after the nimh explosion. Talk about a mess! And where do you start??? You start by searching online if the gas that has filled your house is toxic??? How do you clean up all the powdered chemicals that are everywhere??? Thats where I was that night and why I bought ammo boxes for charging the next day! That was before lipos were released for R/C

Notice the chair in front of chargers? Thats where I was sitting a moment before. See the dust coating everything, thats powdered chemicals. See whats left of the B&T Blister pack?

Just be safe kids! Chit does happen

Last edited by Rig Rocker; 11-25-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

^^^agreed. the same person who would carelessly roll off the dangers of lipo's is the same guy who would probably look down the barrel of a loaded gun. just take care and respect the lipo. i'll just stick to my nimh's
chris_dishmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #16

As someone else has said. Another good tip is don't store all of you lipos in one spot, talk about a small problem getting bigger. One of my 4000 hard cases had a thermal runaway and took four more with it. They were all in the same lipo sack, that melted itself into the countertop. The chemicals (powdered dust that was everywhere), is supposedly the same stuff that's in fluorescent tubes. Be sure to clean it up properly.
j10on4ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #17

and people ask why i use stick packs lol no im sue this stuff dosnt happen all the time,its like people are saying u take care of ur lipos and they will take care of you.sucks for who evers rig got burned down
Clod Killer is offline   Reply With Quote