Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Videos!

Notices

Thread: maisto rock crawler mods!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default maisto rock crawler mods!!!!

hi today i go to the wallmart and i see this truck 29.99$.....is a rock crawler whit verry soft shock ..and is a 3 link suspension ....the tire is verry soft like a real rock crawler !!! but .....stock is verry boring play whit that no power ...nothing ....the batery system is a 6 aa batery...9 volt whit a verry poor power and cost alot of money in batery .....at home i see i have a 9.6 volt 2200 mah pack (small pack )...i cut all the bottom where i put the batery originaly i fit my batery pack there .....man i ts verry not bad whit this upgrade .....okay the controler is not proportional (on off)but im verry impress about this little truck ...for 29.99 $$$ is a good buy !!!!now i think to put some real electronic in but keep the original motor ..but i ts cool to crawl whit it like that too

i make a small video !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_cn99LOIPg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

boul69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #2

I don't think I'd spend money to modify it but for $30 it looks neat.
irockid86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

no for sure i dont put some money on it ..but i have a buch of used part here ....for now i just put a batery pack thats it .....but if you see the video like you say for 30$ is not bad
Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

okay ...well last night i put real electronic in there ....speed control tamiya...2.4 ghz rx tx ...hight tork micro servo hi tech ....9.6 volt 2000 mah batery pack ...i gona change motors in there i put some motor of my esky comanche ...same can size but much bigger and stronger ..i ts realy not bad like that whit the stock motor ...anyway im not gona go to competition whit that ...is for my 11years old daughter ..loll...but it s verry cool to crawl like that for 30 box !!!!

gonna post some pics later of m ods for someone whant try this littlle truck !!!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

hey the job is done .....remove the motor on it .....small crapy 130 motor!! i put the esky 180 size motor same can size but more bigger and stronger ...fit there right away ...whit a tamiya speed control ..and hi teck high tork micro servo ....welll now is verry not bad ..not clod stall at all verry powerfull and alot of tork ......verry impressive for 30$ truck !!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Thyhwp5H6g
Old 03-14-2011, 04:12 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

okay another day of boring ...rain outside !!!! so i change the motor on this little things ....i put the redcat rs 10 one i have ..it was a big chalenge to fit that here but the result is amazing now i ts strong like i whant ....i have 3 crawler and its all ready for rocks .....i just pass my time on this little truck...i ts look like a toy ...but it climb like a champ !!!!

[IMG=http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/4770/dsc02613.jpg][/IMG]
Old 03-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

today i try it in icy snow ....i pin out my tire ..i put some gyprock screw in the tire , screw it for about 1/4 inch in the tire and cut the head need to do that 100 time (25 each tire)..be patien but the result is awsome !!!!whit the redcat rs 10 motor ...impresive how is climb !!!!the transmision is verry strong a 3 gear system like a most of crawler ..not bad for cheap rc !!!check it out in snow ...(sorry the camera slipping on icy snow )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Ivhpn6Zkc
Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

well another upgrade on my maisto rock cralwer ....the only thigs bad of this truck now is the tire ....i got some radio shack tire verry nice tire lot of grip !!! a lot of job to fit that there but nice result ...i try the climb test whit maybe 55 degree hill and more ant the end .....i ts look like a toy but climb like a champ !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHL5SRQ6KS4
Old 03-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Nobody

How hard was it to get the redcat motor in there?
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

in the front is verry hard ..need to cut the plastic and fit it there but the 2 side of the axel sqeez the motor in place and i put a screw to secure them...in the back is verry easy you need to put your motor the other side where the stock motor is .. i keep the original gearing was 8t pigion...you need patience to modds this little truck but after that as you see the result is verry amazing for a toy crawler ....my freind have a mini losi crawler and i pass at the same place like im .....for 200$ less lollll

anyway if you whant to mods one and have problem ....just tell me and i try to help you !!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Wow this was my first truck but I returned it and got a rs10 Very nice job though thats amazing the things you can do to it!
TheREDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Default Just got one of these for my 6 year old son!

I was wondering if I could use the esc I have from my losi nightcrawler that I have swapped out? Also will I have to come up with a new receiver and trans for it? I'm planning on using some 7.4 lipos that I have. Am I diving into this too deep or should I just stick with the battery and possibly a motor swap?
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I was wondering if I can put a 9.6 800mah battery in a stocker would it work
jesusfreakxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I got one of these for my daughter. It's pretty cool but very weak. Can u put up some pics of your front axle. I am having problems with putting a motor in it. And what size battery are you running. Lipo or nimh.
intheworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
Fan of wheelspeed

i have one I let my nephews bash. I swapped the batt out for a Integy 9.6 2000 mah. Made a big difference. I put a set of 1.9 Losi Rock Claws on mine and it made a huge difference. No mods needed either, just put em on.

Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #16

Default Re: maisto rock crawler mods!!!!

Hey im new to forum and electric rc's but ive messed with nitro for years. i got my son this cheap crawler for christmas and decided to make it better with a few mods. after the 9.6v im impressed! but now i cant stop messing with it lol. I was wondering if the electronics from traxxas tmaxx would work on this truck and how id go about doing it. thanks in advance!
ck02285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #17

I have been interested in rock crawlers for a while now, having been into RC aircraft for years. I picked up one of these Maisto crawlers and immediately started modding it. It's got a 7.4V 2S lipo and proportional control for throttle and steering. I'm using a no-name metal geared mini servo and the stock steering arm. I also made a simple custom body from light ply. This was a good entry into the hobby for me, and I have learned enough now to start shopping for a "real" crawler. The Maisto was lots of fun to mess with, I recommend it to anyone for testing their interest in crawling at a low price. Here's a couple of pics.

Last edited by Flanker; 09-02-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Flanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #18

hi, i am new here , and i just buy a maisto crawler i wander if you guys cant tell me where i fund some battery 9.6 v for my truck and some tires off road, but not so expensive because i spend 40 $ for car so...thank you
mmf_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #19

is anybody still tinkering with these crawlers? if so i would like to see what people areoing with them. i have one of my own and have performed q few modifications, i would just like to see what others are doing
maistiododge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #20

Super-newb here (brand new to both R/C and rock crawling)

I got my 4-years olds a couple of these for Christmas (which led to me getting a RedCat RS10 XT because they wouldn't give me more than 5 minutes with the Maistos!) and almost immediately upgraded to 9.6v batteries.

So far we've smoked the controller in one (steering servo works, motors don't) and spun the pinion on the other (so it's now just part-time 4WD)

They're really bad with the stock AA batteries, but way better with the 9.6v (although way too fast for crawling). What I failed to understand prior to upgrading the batteries was that even though a 9.6v NiMH is close to the 6xAAs voltage-wise, there's no contest in the amperage department. I probably should have done a 7.2v instead (though the kids love the speed and don't care so much about low-and-slow crawling, and we are all getting hooked on R/C truckin' ).

Any ideas on how to permanently lock the pinion on the motor shaft? I don't want to replace the motor, although I might be willing to spend a few bucks on a new pinion if there's a locking one that would fit, no idea of the shaft size but I doubt it's comparable to anything hobby-grade.
MotoMente is offline   Reply With Quote