Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Virginia

Notices

Thread: 2009 VARCOR Point Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 2009 VARCOR Point Series

Ok guys. It's time to get our act together for the 2009 Point Series. We have created the schedule for the 2009 season which will include 7 official VARCOR events, of which two can be dropped. Only the top 5 scores at the end of the season will be used to determine the Series Champion. The events will be on the third weekend of each month (starting in January), Nov. and Dec. will be the second weekend. I have chosen to alternate Saturdays and Sundays as we did last season. All locations after February are subject to change if we find any other locations in the state. This year, in February, we are going to do either a GTG/Money Run or a joint comp between VARCOR and CRR of NC. I've been crawling with those guys for over a year now and we are working on trying to get the two clubs together. Not sure if it will be a joint event, if not, it'll be another Money Run.

Here is the schedule.

2009 Comp Season Schedule

November 8 - Saturday at Bell Isle
December 14 - Sunday at Pony Pasture (moved to FHP)
January 17 - Saturday at Fredericksburg
February 22 - Sunday at Bell Isle (This will be a GTG/Money Run or a joint event with CRR)
March 21 - Saturday at Pony Pasture
April 19 - Sunday at Bell Isle
May 16 - Saturday at Fredericksburg
June - 20 - Saturday at FHP

Mark your calendars and plan now, it's gonna be a good season.

Also, keep an eye out for the new scoring method for our 2009 series, more info to come soon.

If anyone has any questions, please contact myself or swell searcher.

Last edited by '04 Rubicon; 05-18-2009 at 10:26 PM.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

what class are we gonna be running?
bullet1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Forgot to mention that didn't I. We are going to continue to run 2.2 comp.
We have not had enough people that want to run Supers to govern having a Super class, but if we get enough people that want to and show up regularly, I'm not against having some Super events. We are also going to try and do a scale class again, it kind of fizzled out a little towards the end of last season and with the 1.9 comp class becoming a possibility, not sure how that will impact our comps.

So, for now, 2.2 comp is what we will be running at each event. We'll play it by ear for the other classes, based on participants. So, feel free to share your opinions on what you plan to run this year.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I would like to attend some of these events. Where is pony pasture and FHP ??? I'm looking foward to going back to bell isle.
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i'd definitely like to see more scale stuff included. alot of us, including yourself, have built scalers. i've heard some people mention doing a scale end of varcor where the scale meets/comps would be seperate events altogether. doesn't sound like a bad idea, except i worry that people will either get burned out, not have time, or not take seriously doing so many seperate comps. also, with the 1.9 comp rigs out, it may put the scalers further on the back burner. there just isn't enough time in the day to run 4 or 5 classes. it does seem, however, that alot of the guys that prefer running scalers are more into trail riding, as opposed to comps, so maybe just squeezing in a few big scale only meets/comps seperately from the comp class/super comps might not be a bad idea. i know that would be additional work, so if that was the alternative we're all faced with, i can try to help, if you like.
puryear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I will be present at a few of the events for the series, but will not be at most of them.

I need to put a bit of time/money into house/1:1 car stuff for awhile, so I can't be in the shop all the time playing with the comp rig. Whatever extra time I have over the winter will be put into building a scaler from the frame up, since I have most of what I need, and time will be the only investment.

If I can help with the series from an organizational/administrative standpoint, just let me know.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #7

time to get my shit together
CS_BENOIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
varcor.org

i agree davey, there's not enough time for multiple classes. 2.2 comp is the main class for varcor. i would like to see a scale class too but with the winter time, there's not much time. like you said, the scaler guys are into trail riding than comps. so after each comp, the scaler guys can show up later in the day and then everyone can do a trail ride. another idea i was toying with, when the spring time comes around, then we run a scaler comp series if there is interested where the scalers run after the normal 2.2 comp since the days would getting longer. and since there is no scale class at nationals, it doesn't have to end in june.
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by puryear View Post
i'd definitely like to see more scale stuff included. alot of us, including yourself, have built scalers. i've heard some people mention doing a scale end of varcor where the scale meets/comps would be seperate events altogether. doesn't sound like a bad idea, except i worry that people will either get burned out, not have time, or not take seriously doing so many seperate comps. also, with the 1.9 comp rigs out, it may put the scalers further on the back burner. there just isn't enough time in the day to run 4 or 5 classes. it does seem, however, that alot of the guys that prefer running scalers are more into trail riding, as opposed to comps, so maybe just squeezing in a few big scale only meets/comps seperately from the comp class/super comps might not be a bad idea. i know that would be additional work, so if that was the alternative we're all faced with, i can try to help, if you like.
I understand that many of us have built and drive scalers, I myself really enjoy that side of it. I know that some talked about separate scale events, but agree that people will not be able to go to both comp and scale if separate. Ideally, we will have a scale 2.2 (or 1.9) class just like we did last season.
If we have enough trucks, I'm all for having the scale comps the same day as the 2.2 comp, but I would like to ask for some assistance in that area. I have so much going on each event for 2.2. comp with getting stuff organized, setting up courses, making sure scoresheets get filled out, drivers meet, etc, that I could use some help with the scale side. Just having someone find and setup the scale courses would be a nice time saver. If while we are setting up the 2.2 comp courses, some guys could also be setting up the scale courses, that would be good. I know many times the same area is used so I suggest us getting different colored balls for the scale course lines.
I have some of the Axial course markers, enough for 3 courses which we will be using this season for the 2.2 comp markers. If we use a different colored tennis ball for the scalers, we could set up all the courses at the same time and differentiate gates if they were close together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
I will be present at a few of the events for the series, but will not be at most of them.
I need to put a bit of time/money into house/1:1 car stuff for awhile, so I can't be in the shop all the time playing with the comp rig. Whatever extra time I have over the winter will be put into building a scaler from the frame up, since I have most of what I need, and time will be the only investment.
No excuses, you have to be able to make at least five...come on. :-P No reason to be in the shop all the time, just build a capable truck, and leave it alone. Which I know is a lot to ask since you had a different truck each time you came out. But if you built a solid rig before the comps start, you wouldn't have to change anything on it and could run it all season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS_BENOIT View Post
time to get my shit together
Just do it!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
varcor.org

i agree with mark, some additional help with the scaler setup will be nice. mark and i do alot for the 2.2 comps to run smooth. setting up the scale courses during the comp setup or even during the scale setup would be great.
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #11

Im going to try to make to as many as possible, but the navy gets in the way.
crashnburn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
Also, keep an eye out for the new scoring method for our 2009 series, more info to come soon.
I'm interested, I had alot of fun at the money run, but if you guys are using this "forward only esc" rule, count me out.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
I'm interested, I had alot of fun at the money run, but if you guys are using this "forward only esc" rule, count me out.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I am going to try to make it to the Dec. 14 comp. hopefully I will have my rig complete by then.
J Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Hey guys. I posted a thread on VARCOR pertaining to which scale class to run in this years comps. Many of us are building 1.9 scalers while many of us have 2.2 scalers. We can only do one scale at the events, so we have to choose which one to do. Check out the post and vote http://www.varcoffroaders.com/forum/...php?f=12&t=254
Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Hey Rubicon, I wanted to know if its a problem for someone fron nc to compete in the VA points series ? I tried a comp in nc, but they are all at least a 3 hour drive from me. I'm just looking for some good competition without spending $100 in gas each time. I hope to see you guys on NOV. 8th.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech93 View Post
Hey Rubicon, I wanted to know if its a problem for someone fron nc to compete in the VA points series ? I tried a comp in nc, but they are all at least a 3 hour drive from me. I'm just looking for some good competition without spending $100 in gas each time. I hope to see you guys on NOV. 8th.
Absolutely no problem. VARCOR is not for VA residents only, it's open to anyone willing to come out, compete, and have fun. Looking forward to seeing you again at the next comp.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

sweet, thats what i was hoping you'd say. see ya on the 8th.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

is there time in the day, especially in the winter, to run 2.2 comp, 1.9 comp, and a scale class? if it comes down to set up before the comp, then no problem.... as i've said, just let me know what i can do to help out and i'll do it. i plan on attending all of the comps this season, so just pm me before the comps and let me know.
puryear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:55 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by puryear View Post
is there time in the day, especially in the winter, to run 2.2 comp, 1.9 comp, and a scale class? if it comes down to set up before the comp, then no problem.... as i've said, just let me know what i can do to help out and i'll do it. i plan on attending all of the comps this season, so just pm me before the comps and let me know.
I don't think we have time for 3 classes, but it depends on how many people show up and want to run each class. Especially in the winter with the shorter days. I'm not sure if we are even going to have enough people with a 1.9 comp rig so that may not even matter. We should definitely be able to two two classes, 2.2 comp and a scale class.

I will be asking for your assistance with getting the scale stuff set up, etc. We will be talking.