Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Virginia

Notices

Thread: Rudee Inlet Rocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #1

Default Rudee Inlet Rocks

Here we go, this is my first post. I've been basically just gathering info on RC rock crawling. Which is the best crawler, set up info, mods etc. So I finally got my Axial AX-10 '74 Ford Bronco with Novak Brushless crawler set up and Hitec HS-7955(333oz/in yeah!) and I've been looking around for places to crawl. One of the Best places I found so far is Rudee Inlet right at the end of the Board walk in Virginia Beach. This would make a pretty good place to hold a competition. There are signs not to go on the rocks but I'm not on the rocks, my Crawler is. The first couple of times I went there the sand was dry and fell right off the tires as I went on the rocks, the last time I went there it was kind of damp and the sand stuck to my tires making it real difficult to crawl on the rocks. I am now in the process of filming video to post and make a DVD. I start at where the Rocks meet the Board walk (Where every body fishes) and make my way down towards the water. It starts out pretty easy as all the rocks are ground level to begin with then as you go out the rocks get taller and larger. So far I've busted the drive shaft(replaced with MIP Drive Shaft) and steering knuckle(replaced with STRC knuckle).

Where are the best Crawling spots in Hampton Roads?

Darrell
Darrell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
varcor.org

Yeah, I use to go down to the jetty for crawl with my 2.2. IMO, not 2.2 friendly due to all the large gaps. When I took my 14" and super out, now that was fun.

Also, I doubt that the city will let us hold any comps or GTG there. They already frown about the surfers and fishermen on the rocks.
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #3

I just broke my outdrive shaft. Another part falls victim to the Rudee Rocks.
check out the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SK9Vx28TDg

Last edited by Darrell82; 10-20-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
varcor.org

nice vid... like how you got it rigged to your crawler...
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #5

thanks dude, I strapped the external lens on one side and the actual camera on the other to balance it out. On another note. I am also a mountainbiker and when I am on the trails riding I am always searching for interesting places to crawl. Now, York River State Park has the trail called Marl Ravine and Eastern Virginia Mountainbiking Association has put in a rock garden. I think that will be my next video project.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #6

Default York River

That trail you speak of is a badass trail but if my memory severs me right it is closed to hikers. You would have to bike in, that would be part of the fun but hanging around on the trail might piss off the Park Rangers. Try Victoria Park over near the court house in Va Beach. It the new Mc Mansion Vill subdivision. near the corner of West Neck and North Landing on North Landing. Can't miss the sand hills and the pile of rock on the left side of the subdivision. Have fun!!!
supermoto guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #7

Near courthouse, cool man I'm there after work. Another place I want to check out is on Naval Station Norfolk. Those of you with Base access, if you can recall on the north side of the base along the water is a whole mess of rocks with a strip that transitions to sand. I was gonna check it out Sat. but it rained just as I packed up my truck. Maybe try again Tues(Vets Day)
Old 11-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Went out to rudee inlet on Veteran's day and did some crawling with my brother-in-law. Definitely a cool place to crawl. We had our 2.2 comp rigs and our 2.2 scalers and had a great time with both.

Will definitely be going back even though it is a 45 minute drive.
trailduster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #9

Default Rudee crawl

Yeah, I love that place. Lately I've been crawling there early in the morning before work 0630. It is best when the sand is dry. When crawling I suggest standing on the sand off of the rocks so you don't draw the occasional motorcycle cop's attention. Twice I've noticed one watching me and once he used his siren to get a tourist off the rock's. The rocks that start off the end of the (concrete)boardwalk and go out(left) to the ocean are the best. But I found that if it is raining you could go under the bridge that goes over the inlet. There is a fair amount of rocks there hidden from the rain that's if the wind is right. I don't see why more crawlers don't visit this place.