Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Virginia

Notices

Thread: Rock Crawler in Fauquier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #1

Default Rock Crawler in Fauquier

I'm new to crawling but not RC. Looking for others in Fauquier who might want to try this RC sport.
rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Hello, and welcome. Glad you've found your way to RCC. Not sure who may be near you but there are many of us across the state. We have comps and GTG's every month. Check out http://www.varcoffroaders.com/forum for more information of locations to crawl and to find out about comps and gtgs. I hope that you will try to make it out to some of our events. The first comp of the 2009 season will be November 8th.

So tell us a little about your rig. What are you driving and what have you done to it. Again, welcome, this site is full of tons of information but if you ever have any specific questions, fee free to PM me.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #3

Default Thanks for the welcome.

A little about my rig. I started with a box of clod parts purchased on ebay for eighty bucks with all the axle parts including bearings and there was a Traxxas EVX too. Lucky buy I think. After rebuilding the axles and locking the diffs, I decided to braze a tube chassis. I decided on a 2.2 so drew up plans around the clod axles spaced at 12.5 inches. Using quarter inch break line and some smaller stuff, I brazed it together and think it looks ok. Lots of crawler parts later, and many fun hours of building, it works. I'd like to post a pic, but have to figure out how first.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:27 AM   #4

Yo I am in Iraq right now but soon I will be back in Fauquier, cant wait...I just got a Juggy and am building a 2.2 crawler right now and plan on doing the VARCOR...I plan on doing a "Rock Garden" in my back yard...both to look somthing like this
scottyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #5

Hey Scottyrock, you back in Fauquier yet? I've been looking for other rock crawlers here in Warrenton but haven't found any yet. I was just at the local hobby shop today ordering some parts for a new scale build that I'm working on, and asked about a bulletin board to post a message on. No board, but I'll put something up. The VARCOR web site is great, haven't gotten out with them yet though.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Rockhead i live in culpeper im only about 20 minutes out of warrenton. Im trying to find locals to crawl with also.
firekiddc02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:08 AM   #7

There isn't a hobby shop in Culpeper is there? Have you found any good places to crawle, I live in Old Town Warrenton and haven't found any great locations yet, but I'm looking. What's your rig? I have 2.2 tuber comp that I made out of quarter inch break line and clod axles. Right now I'm working on a 2.2 scale rig that I hope will look like a mid 60s CJ6, still have alot of body work to do.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

The hobby shop we have is a joke. I have found a good spot ive just gotta get closer to get a better look. It wsa a very rocky area that they were building asubdivision in and stopped. The pile is about 30 feet tall. I have an axial scorpion, abd a Venom creeper. Im also in the procees of building a DNA SSS kit. Which will i hop to have done soon.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #9

I didn't know what a DNA SSS was, had to look it up. No shocks ay, what material is the frame made of that it's so flexible? I really like the Venum wheels and weights, great idea. Are you going to do a scale build sometime, I've spent more time on this custom frame, scale build than any other RC build. No other crawlers yet? On my last trip down to Charlottesville, I saw a 1/1 scale (real truck) crawler driving down the road. If your interested, over on the VARCOR site, under Comp Talk, Tech, then look for Adding dig to my rig (one of my threads) there is a pic of my clod tuber crawler.

Last edited by rockhead; 08-03-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Ive thought about doing a scale build. The sss looks like a hard plastic, but im not sure.