Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Virginia

Notices

Thread: WK Crawler Norfolk/VaBeach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default WK Crawler Norfolk/VaBeach

RC crawlin started for me when I bought my little brother an HPI Wheely King for Christmas, I wanted to get him somthing that would get him out of the house instead of sitting on rockband all day. After looking in magazines and catalogs and online I decided to go with the HPI Wheely King because it looked like a solid monster truck. After I seen his I was very impressed, having never owned an HPI I didnt know what to expect and ordering it on the internet I was worried it would be just another wal-mart or radio shack special but I couldnt be more wrong. Right out of the box the thing was amazing. Then I was reading online about the WK and I started finding rc rock crawling sites! I didnt even know people modded or rock crawled in rcs. All I have ever done is nitro stadium truck racing. So I also got into it after purchasing myself an HPI Wheely King on ebay for 90$ that had water damage and replacing the electronics. The first upgrade was installing the HPI Crawler conversion kit for my little brother. I put the Integy crawler conversion on mine when I found a used kit cheap on ebay. Now I run Proline Moab tires on Proline 8 shot bead locks, HPI lockers, Novak Fifty Five crawler motor, and limited edition aluminum chassis from STRC. Next upgrade will be a better esc since ive already burned up the stock HPI I put on it. And a scale body to match my 89 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer Edition, since its what I normally go rock crawling in. I also am working on turning my other WK (yea I bought another one) into a basher/monster jam style racer instead of a crawler.
SpikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Welcome. Check out our VA club - http://www.varcoffroaders.com/forum.

I use to run a Wheely King a couple years back and still have two of them (in pieces). Very tough truck out of the box and with a few upgrades can be a capable rig. There is now so much to choose from compared to just a year ago it's ridiculous. There are a few crawlers down your way in the tidewater area, check out our VA site and see what you can find. Hope to see you out at an event some time.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
varcor.org

another HR guy, great!!! come by Hobbytown in VB sometime. i normally work MWF nights, and Sundays unless it's a comp Sunday. if you have any quesitons or problems, bring it up there or ask on the VARCOR site, or even here.
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Um yea I do have some questions, I need the supplies to build the steering linkage, if you look at my pics you can see I have the stock plastic cross link and a fabricated (but not very well) link from the servo horn to the steering knuckle. the hobbytown usa in hampton wasnt very helpful the guys were not very knowledgable....If I can get them at the VA B store I should come by, weekdays its hard for me to get out busy at work but saturday I plan on showing up when the store opens to try out the indoor rock crawlin.

Wheely King Crawler Picture Archive
Attached Images

Last edited by SpikeX; 03-31-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
varcor.org

there's only one crawler guy guy between NN and VB, and that's me... or atleast i think that's me... and than there is dave up in the richmond store.... anyways, so you need to fab you a tie-rod and drag-link. best thing is to get a set of traxxas rod ends for both end. and than just get all-thread from lowe's or home depot. than sleeve with aluminum tubing from us or them. the other option, is if you know the lengths from eyelet to eyelet, then maybe we could find a set of turnbuckles that would work.

i'm not there this weekend since i'm heading to TN for ECC. but i work sundays; only in a blue moon do i work saturdays...
Old 04-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by swell searcher View Post
there's only one crawler guy guy between NN and VB, and that's me... or atleast i think that's me... and than there is dave up in the richmond store.... anyways, so you need to fab you a tie-rod and drag-link. best thing is to get a set of traxxas rod ends for both end. and than just get all-thread from lowe's or home depot. than sleeve with aluminum tubing from us or them. the other option, is if you know the lengths from eyelet to eyelet, then maybe we could find a set of turnbuckles that would work.

i'm not there this weekend since i'm heading to TN for ECC. but i work sundays; only in a blue moon do i work saturdays...

Or if your asked REAL nice (hint) I bet some body could make you a set.
J Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #7

Hi from Virginia Beach man! Friend of mine crawls a WK and loves it. He has a small course in his back yard and we hit up the indoor course at hobbytown on occasion.
hartnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swell searcher View Post

Where in TN? Im originaly from TN and my 2 brothers still crawl there.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Heres some more pics of my truck in action on the rocks by the ocean. Glad it didnt fall in the water below haha.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

goin to debbies rc world, my mode of transportation flys helis and he wants to go to debbies, hopefully they have what im lookin for
Old 04-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
varcor.org

were you able to get the stuff you needed at deb's?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

No Debbies mostly had rc helo and plane stuff, the small selection of truck parts they had were for an axial which wouldnt fit, and didnt have the stuff to build some. I did get some good tips on how to lower my cog, moving the battery to the front upper links, moving my esc and tranciever lower on the chassis. I did go to the Hobby Town over in Virginia Beach, got the Rooster Crawler esc, and some more tips on weighting the tires and such. I did have a few more questions but didnt have alot of time the day I went by there to ask alot of questions. Debbies is building a course outside, cant wait to see it when its finished, perhaps when I get back in town it will be done, same goes for the indoor over at HT. I got a hitec servo waitin on me when I get back and a metal servo horn since I keep smashing mine on rocks. Where I normally climb its just piled up rocks near the water to keep the errosion down and its pretty brutal on my truck. I would like to get into comps with my truck, ive seen wheely kings in vids and pics so I know its capable, I just need a little more knowledge and perhaps practice driving.-Phil
Old 04-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I suppose I could have search featured this, or looked it up on the noob board but I figured I would ask on here since most of everyone who posts on this board is from the same area. So my question is about using foams in tires. How different are rc tires compared to tires on a real truck? Beadlock rims keep the tires secured to the rim, but why should I pop holes in the tires? Would they not grip better being semi inflated as they are when I tightened the locks on the rims? If I do pop holes in them, how big of a hole, will it tear later as the tire gets wear, and should I use tire foams or no tire foams? Is there a special kind of tire foam good for rock crawling? Right now I have proline 8shot beadlocks with proline moabs. It alread grips 100% more then the stock tires but the guy I talked to (forgot his name) at the hobby town in va beach said my tires needed to be popped. Havnt really done much driving as I am currently in a location where I cannot, but I have lowered the COG drasticlly from what it was, and worked on my body. I still dont have the steering linkage done, and my hitec servo is still not installed. Any assistance, tips, tricks, or general knowledge will be appreciated. Thanks in advance - Phil