Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Virginia

Notices

Thread: Crawling in Mechanicsville?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Crawling in Mechanicsville?

I am new to crawling, and wondering who's crawling in Mechanicsville, and where at?
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Mechanicsville here. We go on the south side of Belle Isle, when it not under water. Forest Hill park off of 34th St. Thats allways a good place rain or shine. There is another place at Pony Pasture, but Ive never been there, I hear it is small, but cool. Then there is Ficklen Island (not sure if that is the correct name) in Fredricksburg. Checkout VARCOR http://www.varcoffroaders.com/ we are 3 comps in on a 8 comp season now. A few of us practice almost every weekend.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Mechanicsville here. We go on the south side of Belle Isle, when it not under water. Forest Hill park off of 34th St. Thats allways a good place rain or shine. There is another place at Pony Pasture, but Ive never been there, I hear it is small, but cool. Then there is Ficklen Island (not sure if that is the correct name) in Fredricksburg. Checkout VARCOR http://www.varcoffroaders.com/ we are 3 comps in on a 8 comp season now. A few of us practice almost every weekend.
Where do you practice, and when and where is the next comp?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The next comp is Scheduled for Sun Jan 24 at Belle Isle. Unless its still under water. If so, it would just be moved to FHP more that likely.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I just joined up on VARCOR, and posted in the noobie section how long till I get access to the forum? Anybody get together locally or meet up at Hobbytown or somewhere else just for fun? Me and my cousin are having a blast crawling but are trying to get some more wheel time before maybe trying a comp. We would like to watch a comp to see how they are ran and to see how the pro's crawl. We are building a course in my cousins backyard, something sort of like the course at Hobbytown but maybe a little harder.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Well come on out and checkout the next comp. All are welcome. And we just started running a sportsman class too, for rigs with no dig unit.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the invite, will have to come check it out.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Read your post on VARCOR too. Welcome. You should get your access in a few days, after the site admin. sees your post. When you do, check out the GTG section for posts from KBROG or myself about weekend practice.

You should plan on coming to the comp and competing. It doesn't cost ya anything, and it really is the only way to learn.

Once you go to the comp sites, you'll probably care less about Hobbytown and backyard coarses, I know I did.

Let me know if you have any other questions about comps or rigs. Good luck, hope to run into you soon.
Rocks R. Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks R. Good View Post
Read your post on VARCOR too. Welcome. You should get your access in a few days, after the site admin. sees your post. When you do, check out the GTG section for posts from KBROG or myself about weekend practice.

You should plan on coming to the comp and competing. It doesn't cost ya anything, and it really is the only way to learn.

Once you go to the comp sites, you'll probably care less about Hobbytown and backyard coarses, I know I did.

Let me know if you have any other questions about comps or rigs. Good luck, hope to run into you soon.
I have recently purchased the Axial AX10 ARTR. I will be using my Futaba 3PM 2.4 fasst radio, Novak 2s goat with 18.5t brushless motor, Hitec HS-7950TH servo, and Nimh saddle packs mounted on the front axle. I moved the lower links inside the chassis, and made brackets to velcro on my proline Chevy C-10 body, thats all I have so far. What else do you suggest to get my rig comp ready?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
RCC Addict

A dig unit for sure. Maybe some tires. Weighted wheels. Sounds like you have a great setup going already.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
A dig unit for sure. Maybe some tires. Weighted wheels. Sounds like you have a great setup going already.
Oh yea I forgot to mention I weighted my wheels 7oz in each front and 3oz in each rear. Are the Proline Hammers and memory foam it came with not any good? I may consider a dig unit if I really get into comps until then if I comp I will just run in the non dig or sportsman class right?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like a good start. You'll be verry happy you shelled out for the 7950.

You will want to get a comp grade tire. Rovers are popular, as well as Panthers. I run the Leopards with good results. You will want to ditch the memory foams, they get hard as the rocks we crawl in these cold temps.

Novas dual stage non-memory foams are excellent. You get them from the Vendors section here on RCC. Excellent customer service, fast shipping and great support. You can also get your tires from Eddie.

You can get a great start in Sportsman class with that. You don't need dig unless you want to move from Sportsman. Most of us are looking at running both classes.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Forgot to mention, Sportsman rules are currently allowing up to 7 cell NiMH packs or 2 cell lipo.

Lipo is excelllent
Old 01-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks R. Good View Post
Forgot to mention, Sportsman rules are currently allowing up to 7 cell NiMH packs or 2 cell lipo.

Lipo is excelllent
My Nimh is a 7 cell saddle, I will check out those foams and tires.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I searched and found that there are many members on here in Mechanicsville, where ya at and where ya crawling other than the usual downtown places? Anybody got anything in Mechanicsville indoor or outdoor? Just making sure I'm not missing out on any local action.