Thread: Official Chesapeake, VA beach, Suffolk Trail Run Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #1101
Pebble Pounder

Smile Re: Official Chesapeake, VA beach, Suffolk Trail Run Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKO View Post
Got a box of goodies in today
Me too... Servo City got me taken care off.
n8welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #1102
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Official Chesapeake, VA beach, Suffolk Trail Run Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramination View Post
I've got 40-50 pictures that I feel turned out very well...so I'll be posting those soon. By the way, none of you have build threads though, do you?

And those tire foams we were talking about yesterday: Lil' Nova Foams

There is a thread on RCC here (probably in vendors section) that if you post up your rig details the man behind the foams will basically tell you the best setup. I followed his recommendations and couldn't be happier with what I got.
Link to said thread is below. Post up the info he asks for in posts 1 and 2 and he will set you up.

*_* C.I.'s Lil' Nova Closed Cell Competition Ready 1.9 Dual Stage Foams *_*
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #1103

Thanks for the link. I might have to get these for the new Pit Bulls I have just ordered.
crashen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #1104

I want new tires and rims too!!! :confused:

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
hartnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #1105
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashen1 View Post
Thanks for the link. I might have to get these for the new Pit Bulls I have just ordered.
Haha I approve of this purchase

Make sure they'll mount on the beadlocks you have, I wasn't able to mount them on my RC4WD steelies which is why I picked up the Mayhems and started a whole new build altogether talking about snowball effect... it's closer to an avalanche.

What kind of servos did you pick up Nate?
MIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #1106
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I wasn't able to mount them on my RC4WD steelies which is why I picked up the Mayhems and started a whole new build altogether talking about snowball effect... it's closer to an avalanche.

I literally lol'd at that. Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #1107
Pebble Pounder

Talking Re: Official Chesapeake, VA beach, Suffolk Trail Run Thread

Quote:
Haha I approve of this purchase

Make sure they'll mount on the beadlocks you have, I wasn't able to mount them on my RC4WD steelies which is why I picked up the Mayhems and started a whole new build altogether talking about snowball effect... it's closer to an avalanche.

What kind of servos did you pick up Nate?
Hitec 7955's
Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #1108

Looks like I might have a change in plans for this weekend. I might be able to make it out and run this weekend. Any Ideals where to meet at this weekend?
crashen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #1109

Richmond? Another sweet rocky venue?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #1110
Rock Crawler

I'd be down for belle isle, especially if one of the locals could confirm the water level for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #1111
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8welch View Post
Hitec 7955's
DAMN!!! I picked up a 7954, I'm wandering how far apart they are in performance
Old 04-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #1112

Man tires and stuff are expensive. I think I'm just going to keep it stock and keep doing what I do

Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #1113
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Are u running an external BEC? I have a outcry dual motor esc that has a ext bec. I wac thinking about using it to run my servo. They recommend that you do when running a servo with a 200 oz/in and up. My problem is that the outcry BEC only puts out 6v. I might just go ahead and order the ccbec so I can get the 7.4v that this serve is hungry for.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #1114
Rock Crawler

Quote:
They are pretty close. Biggest differences I see is the gear materials (Steel vs Titanium). They both are around 330 oz/in of torque at 6V. I read too that should you torch the gears in the 7954 you can always stuff the 7955 titanium gears in there. (ps-you'll be happy to know Miko that when I opened the 7954 up there are in fact no plastic gears. lol )

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartnsol View Post
Man tires and stuff are expensive. I think I'm just going to keep it stock and keep doing what I do

What, you calling us crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8welch View Post
Are u running an external BEC? I have a outcry dual motor esc that has a ext bec. I wac thinking about using it to run my servo. They recommend that you do when running a servo with a 200 oz/in and up. My problem is that the outcry BEC only puts out 6v. I might just go ahead and order the ccbec so I can get the 7.4v that this serve is hungry for.
They recommend an external BEC for most applications where the torque is over 200 because most ESC's internal BEC can not support the amp draw of the higher powered servos.

For example, I've seen some tests done where the amp draw on a high torque (300+) servo is around 4 amps. I believe the internal BEC on a Axial/Sidewinder ESC is only capable of flowing 3A though...so it needs an external BEC capable of at least 4-5amps to power that bad boy servo. However, an ESC such as the Holmes BRXL like I run has a 5 amp internal BEC, which means I do not need an external BEC to power my 7954. I run the 7954 and a 645 both on the internal BEC of the BRXL, no issues. So you see, it depends on what your ESC has in it for an internal BEC. I'd recommend doing some searching to see!

I think Miko is planning on running that servo with a new MMP (or maybe I misunderstood that picture lol), I think that internal BEC is only 3A, so he is most likely going to need an external BEC to power that 7954. I run an external BEC on my MMP because the internal BEC blew up the first run after setting it to 7V output...and I only run a lousy 645 on that thing...

Of course there are also more reasons to run a BEC, such as to run higher voltage to the servo as you suggested. Have to be careful with that though, some servos can only handle 6V max. On the flip side, sometimes BECs are used to limit the voltage going to the rx/servo. Another example, on my Axial ESC I added an external BEC so I can run 3s on it, whereas they say it is only 2s capable. Without the BEC the whole rig would shut down as soon as it hit any resistance, but now I am running 3s to the motor and the external BEC is running 5A at 6V to the rx and servo.

Adding a BEC to my setup on the FJ so I can run my 7954 at 7.4V is definitely something I am interested in doing...400 oz/in of torque sounds incredible! However, just stepping up to 330 oz/in was such a huge performance increase that I am going to hold off a bit until I am hungry for more. lol

Last edited by Ramination; 04-24-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #1115

Haha nope those are your own words, I'm simply poor and can't justify 60 dollars in new rubber when I'm still performing well for stock lol. Def getting foams though and maybe the proline weights to match the beadlocks and get rid of my balance wobble. Will prob gut the electronics and try and remount everything better to get the batt up front.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #1116
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartnsol View Post
Haha nope those are your own words, I'm simply poor and can't justify 60 dollars in new rubber when I'm still performing well for stock lol. Def getting foams though and maybe the proline weights to match the beadlocks and get rid of my balance wobble. Will prob gut the electronics and try and remount everything better to get the batt up front.

Harbor freight sells stick on weights that fit perfectly onto beadlocks. For $8 I squeezed 2 3/4 oz on the inside of each beadlock, the additional weight on the inside of the barrel.

Hey Bo do you have a link to the 7.4 BEC? It just plugs into the RX? For the BEC on the winch to limit the output to 2S I'd just solder it to the wires coming out of the controller? I have it plugged in between the battery and the RX
Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #1117

I have loads of stick on weights if you ever need more let me know. I was more speaking of the wheel rotation balance being out of wack from not so perfect distribution but then again the truck really isnt supposed to be doing 30 plus lol

Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #1118
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up Re: Official Chesapeake, VA beach, Suffolk Trail Run Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramination View Post
They are pretty close. Biggest differences I see is the gear materials (Steel vs Titanium). They both are around 330 oz/in of torque at 6V. I read too that should you torch the gears in the 7954 you can always stuff the 7955 titanium gears in there. (ps-you'll be happy to know Miko that when I opened the 7954 up there are in fact no plastic gears. lol )

What, you calling us crazy?

They recommend an external BEC for most applications where the torque is over 200 because most ESC's internal BEC can not support the amp draw of the higher powered servos.

For example, I've seen some tests done where the amp draw on a high torque (300+) servo is around 4 amps. I believe the internal BEC on a Axial/Sidewinder ESC is only capable of flowing 3A though...so it needs an external BEC capable of at least 4-5amps to power that bad boy servo. However, an ESC such as the Holmes BRXL like I run has a 5 amp internal BEC, which means I do not need an external BEC to power my 7954. I run the 7954 and a 645 both on the internal BEC of the BRXL, no issues. So you see, it depends on what your ESC has in it for an internal BEC. I'd recommend doing some searching to see!

I think Miko is planning on running that servo with a new MMP (or maybe I misunderstood that picture lol), I think that internal BEC is only 3A, so he is most likely going to need an external BEC to power that 7954. I run an external BEC on my MMP because the internal BEC blew up the first run after setting it to 7V output...and I only run a lousy 645 on that thing...

Of course there are also more reasons to run a BEC, such as to run higher voltage to the servo as you suggested. Have to be careful with that though, some servos can only handle 6V max. On the flip side, sometimes BECs are used to limit the voltage going to the rx/servo. Another example, on my Axial ESC I added an external BEC so I can run 3s on it, whereas they say it is only 2s capable. Without the BEC the whole rig would shut down as soon as it hit any resistance, but now I am running 3s to the motor and the external BEC is running 5A at 6V to the rx and servo.

Adding a BEC to my setup on the FJ so I can run my 7954 at 7.4V is definitely something I am interested in doing...400 oz/in of torque sounds incredible! However, just stepping up to 330 oz/in was such a huge performance increase that I am going to hold off a bit until I am hungry for more. lol
X2 on everything you just stated. There are many variables that come into play when it comes to electronics. What works for one person will not work for everyone. It all depends on what equipment you are working with. It is definitely worth the time it takes to do you're research.

Last edited by n8welch; 04-24-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: auto correct got me again!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #1119

Hey guys. I know you haven't seen/heard from me much lately, I'm still out here and still wheeling. Problem is, it's fishing time so that's all I've been doing. If anyone wants to get out on Lake Meade with me on the weekends, let me know. I've been taking the boat out almost everyday.
CarolinaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCrawler View Post
Hey guys. I know you haven't seen/heard from me much lately, I'm still out here and still wheeling. Problem is, it's fishing time so that's all I've been doing. If anyone wants to get out on Lake Meade with me on the weekends, let me know. I've been taking the boat out almost everyday.
Cool man glad to see you are still getting out there.

Tags
chesapeake, scaler, scaling, suffolk, trail run, virginia

Official Chesapeake, VA beach, Suffolk Trail Run Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beach run 1BadJeepBruiser General Scale Talk 15 01-14-2013 12:47 AM
RCX Expo Long Beach April 28-29th, 2012 Official Info LOST IN MN Chit Chat 18 05-03-2012 01:03 PM
Trail Run at Nats Picture Thread ColquittCustom405 Past Events 113 03-31-2012 07:43 PM
Trail Runs - Sleepy Hole & Bennetts Creek - Suffolk VA Ramination Virginia 67 02-06-2012 08:51 AM
***Official Thank You Thread*** racerx Competitions 8 05-22-2008 09:59 AM