Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Virginia

Notices

Thread: Virginia RC Off Roaders - VARCOR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

i got an email back and he said that they were gone and he sold the las ones yesterday i think they mght come out with somthing new soon but i dont know?
bigblazerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

i have one question since the tlts are out and its alot of money 300+ to get it a capable crawler should i get the wk 4x4 to start and modify it its only 189 the cheapest ive found. does any one have one and are they a godd craler to start with thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Theres a pretty big aftermarket support for the WK, so I'd say yes. Also, I think I've seen some mod'ing the stock chassis and getting some decent performance out of it, as well as locking the trans. I think all you'd need is a little work and a high torque steering servo along with a 55T lathe motor and you could have a decent competitor. I think they have just dribbled of in popularity because of the AX-10 release. I'll be building a set of WK axles here at some point for a scale build.

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 10-30-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

i have 115 dollars so i need only 80 or so more dollars and ive been reading so much an the tlts now i have to start to look at the wk section hopefully i can make it out to some of the gtgs
Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

I have two WK's built, one 2.2 scale and one comp but I'm only using the axles in them both. I ran one with the HPI Stage 1 upgrades for a while, good, but the chassis hangs up too much. Now my WK chassis rigs are bashers and for the kids to play with so they don't mess up my 'better' rides.

Anyway, out the box, it can be made very capable after only a few fairly inexpensive mods (longer links/shafts, stronger servo and move it, higher turn motor, gears, locked axles, etc.) but plan to spend at least $50 to $100+ more, based on what you choose to buy and what you can fabricate yourself. It does come with the ESC, RX/TX, 27T motor, etc, which is good if you are just starting out and learning. The axles are wider than TLT and AX10 axles though, in case you want to try a scale blazer, they may not be the best width. You do get a RTR truck with the WK which is good fun, out the box. Read up on the WK forum, lots of info there.

So you can go get a WK 4x4 for $200 and at least drive it around while you save money to buy more parts to build into a better crawler.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

im plaining to make it a trail truckand some rock crawling because there is a big rock spot at my dads conda a va beach right out side of the parking lot and there is a creeek ing my negighbor hoood with a rock spot and sometrails and look somwhat scale with a blazer body and 2.2 wheels and maybe moabs or imex g hawg to trail in or all-ts dot know im just going to stick with the stock stuff when i get it and to a 4 link front and rear custom chassis in the future. maybe a pede tranny in the custom chassis, lrp esc, futaba radio, integy 55t motor and a 27 turn for some fun
Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Save a few more buck and buy a Axial 10. It is comp ready out of the box. With some mods it will even be better. WK is not a comp ready rig out of the box.

I have also seen TLT kits on ebay for around $135. That might be a better way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblazerboy View Post
i have 115 dollars so i need only 80 or so more dollars and ive been reading so much an the tlts now i have to start to look at the wk section hopefully i can make it out to some of the gtgs
Scooteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

It's cool to see something finally taking off with a VA thread. I have seen so many dead ones with only a post or 2.
clemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooteracing View Post
Save a few more buck and buy a Axial 10. It is comp ready out of the box. With some mods it will even be better. WK is not a comp ready rig out of the box.

I have also seen TLT kits on ebay for around $135. That might be a better way to go.
x2 on the AX-10, it's the best bang for the buck. I didn't think he wanted to spend $300+ dollars right now to have a RTR truck. It may take him a long time to save that much money, and he wouldn't have anything to play with now. However, that is the best advice for a better all-around crawler/scaler.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
x2 on the AX-10, it's the best bang for the buck. I didn't think he wanted to spend $300+ dollars right now to have a RTR truck. It may take him a long time to save that much money, and he wouldn't have anything to play with now. However, that is the best advice for a better all-around crawler/scaler.

yea the ax-10 is 238.00 at the hobby town at va beach wich i go to alot and controller would be 53, motor 20 batt. 30 so i think that equals more that 300 bucks i want to build one now. the tlt would be WAY more money to even make it a respectible crawler/ scaler. i dont know what to get money is an issue because im still in middle school
Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

If your starting from scratch, no radio or anything, the WK is the best way to go, IMO. With some tweaking of it and longer WB, it may not be the best rig on the rocks but it'll be something to compete with. Driving skill/technique play a big factor too.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:20 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster View Post
If your starting from scratch, no radio or anything, the WK is the best way to go, IMO. With some tweaking of it and longer WB, it may not be the best rig on the rocks but it'll be something to compete with. Driving skill/technique play a big factor too.
I like the axial 10 but for the money RTR the WK is the way to go
Scooteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Well, I got all my crap into my new pad. Finally got my own place after 2 years of roomates.
I hope in the next week to get things finished up and settled in and feel home.
Thanks to everyone making this a great thread so far!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Default First GTG

Joe and I were thinking that it would be a good idea to more or less have an informal GTG and then have our 1st official comp. Joe knows a good spot in Fredricksburg and that seems somewhat central to everybody. I think he said around RT 17. He was thinking the 11th'ish, post up here so we can try to get as many people to our first GTG. Then we can try to do some planning for our 1st comp. It seems most people are down around VA beach, Richmond and NOVA, ideally I'd like to have a comp/GTG spot around each area, or maybe we are better off just trying to find spots central to everyone. I guess more or less who ever shows up at the 1st GTG will be secondary founding members and all will have some input as to how it goes.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

The 11th probably isn't going to work for me. I'm planning (70%) to go down to NC for a GTG with the carolinarockrunner group. They plan on having around 25 guys I believe.

Joe, I thought we talked about going up to Fredricksburg first to check out that place before hosting a GTG, to make sure it is a viable spot. I like trying to find a central spot, and Fredricksburg is a good one for the Richmonders and NOVA guys, might be a little further for the tidewater group and southwesterners. It would also be good to have local spots for each area, but that is easier said than done. I know we have a couple here in Richmond, and the NOVA and northwest guys have a few, but I don't know about the coastal area.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

I jumped the gun there, Joe did say he wanted to check it out first. So get to checking Joe!
And I'll get to getting......a rig ready!
Old 11-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster View Post
And I'll get to getting......a rig ready!
That might help if you want to compete!
Old 11-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

are we still on for this sunday afternoon?
and if anybodys free I might be going out saturday morning/ early afternoon
baldchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

I can't make it this Sunday. Joe might still be heading out, not sure if anyone else is going.

Did you get your new gears installed in your tranny?
Old 11-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

yep he sent me the extended shaft for a R2 so I just took the gear off and swaped it with the one I tore up. do you need a extened shaft for your R2? so im back up and running.
baldchris is offline   Reply With Quote