Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Wisconsin

Notices

Thread: True or Rumor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default True or Rumor

My buddy who runs touring cars just told me that Trakside Raceway is going to put in a crawler coarse.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Don't know, but I was there late fall and was talking to a guy that work's there and he indicated that he was checking into it more (crawlers, that is) At that time he said that there were a few guys that were getting into it, sooooooo, it may not be all rumor.
eddy4753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

im tryin to convince our lhs to do it, but he seems unwilling... trains and planes is most of what he sells. imo, a rockcrawling course in the store would be the perfect way to promote and sell rigs, parts, and gear. besides, it'd be easy to set-up, but he still isnt interested

heck hobbytown in oshkosh sells a bunch of crawler stuff, but they dont have an indoor course to promote this aspect of the hobby either. i think the lhs are really limiting their sales by not exposing their customers to this part of the hobby and setting up a display to have perspective customers try it out.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Hobbytown Oshkosh has a huge area to do it too...upstairs somewhere among the unused space.
fanke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
RCC Addict

They do have a start on a course outside the back door, but so far it's just a small pile of random rocks. There was some talk of setting something up indoors, but I haven't heard anything lately. The dirt oval rehab ate up alot of funds, so it might be a while yet. I'll have to ask Bob if there is any possibilty of doing something crawler related indoors.

Troy.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
They do have a start on a course outside the back door, but so far it's just a small pile of random rocks. There was some talk of setting something up indoors, but I haven't heard anything lately. The dirt oval rehab ate up alot of funds, so it might be a while yet. I'll have to ask Bob if there is any possibilty of doing something crawler related indoors.

Troy.
what would it cost for a crawling course? rocks are free, and if they do use lumber, the costs would be very minimal. upstairs at hobbytown osh would be perfect. they could even get a bunch of us locals to donate our time i am sure.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
what would it cost for a crawling course? rocks are free, and if they do use lumber, the costs would be very minimal. upstairs at hobbytown osh would be perfect. they could even get a bunch of us locals to donate our time i am sure.
well us here at hto, mainly me, Jason are still totally planning a course here at the store in oshkosh, just hard to find folks to donate thier time till recently, kasper from appleton has started on a foam indoor course design now and we should have it in store soon. If anyone has and input to help us build a better foam or indoor course at all please contact the store at 920-426-1840 anytime before 5 and ask for Jason
IbeenHalved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I talked to Jason at HTO last week and it sounded like it was still in the works. I would be in for some crawling at HTO or Trackside.

Mitch
MrLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
We just started our first leg of an indoor course. Our cost of materials alone are sitting right around $80 for a single 4 foot by 8 foot area. We have a sheet of 1/4 inch plywood, reinforced around the edges with 1x2 to keep it a little more rigid for moving around and transporting. On top of it is 2 inch rigid foam that is layered and glued together. We added some sprayable expanding foam in areas and we still need to coat it with the bedliner surface.

We called the local Line-X store and they quoted us $75 to spray a single 4x8 sheet of plywood...but that is the good stuff that goes on hot and thick for maximum strength. The stuff we bought from the store to try instead is brushed or rolled on...and it doesn't go on hot. We figured it was worth a try.

By the time Christmas rolls around, we hope to have one more section completed for our small rock climbing area in the basement. The nice thing is it will be light enough to be moved around with two guys and it can be set up in minutes.

To have a load of rocks dropped off isn't all that cheap...we looked into it.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanke19 View Post
We just started our first leg of an indoor course. Our cost of materials alone are sitting right around $80 for a single 4 foot by 8 foot area. We have a sheet of 1/4 inch plywood, reinforced around the edges with 1x2 to keep it a little more rigid for moving around and transporting. On top of it is 2 inch rigid foam that is layered and glued together. We added some sprayable expanding foam in areas and we still need to coat it with the bedliner surface.

We called the local Line-X store and they quoted us $75 to spray a single 4x8 sheet of plywood...but that is the good stuff that goes on hot and thick for maximum strength. The stuff we bought from the store to try instead is brushed or rolled on...and it doesn't go on hot. We figured it was worth a try.

By the time Christmas rolls around, we hope to have one more section completed for our small rock climbing area in the basement. The nice thing is it will be light enough to be moved around with two guys and it can be set up in minutes.

To have a load of rocks dropped off isn't all that cheap...we looked into it.

if nobody at the hobby store knows of anywhere they can get rocks for free (heck, i did my whole basement with rocks from my own property, they probably arent looking very hard to find free stone), then they could go to a quarry and buy stone. to use the company truck if the hobby store has one (if not, maybe employees or "club members" would donate theirs) and go to a stone and gravel quarry to buy a couple of truckloads of different types of stone, would not cost a hint of as much as you spent on your foam course. of course its going to be expensive if you have to pay the stone quarry to deliver your stone, but thats not what i said.

if you want to go the more expensive route and build a course out of foam, thats fine, but to say that what i suggetsed isnt cheap for a hobby store to do is crazy. the point of what i was saying is that it can be cheap to do... especially a whole lot cheaper than the hobby store setting up an electric train layout to spark customer's interests! this is something that all hobby stores should be taking advantage of, and it'd be great to get more interest in this aspect of rc.

Last edited by jedsled; 12-02-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:48 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I guess it doesn't matter either way...I hope they really do end up with some sort of crawling course.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

What LHS is this at fanke? is this at Trackside? if so i may have to a trip up there. It's farther away than Mini Raceway. But probably worth it. Been into the RC hobby for 20 years and have never been to Trakeside.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

When I posted above I was referring to building an indoor course at our house...I hope you didn't think I was making a course at the Hobby Shop. When you originally posted I assumed you were talking about S&N's Trackside in Brookfield.

Last edited by fanke19; 12-03-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Hay Franke, I see on your Web page that MARCCA is listed, do you belong to that club and are you in Madison?
eddy4753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I am not a member of the MARCCA, but they hosted one of our races for the last few years running. In a previous life I was a race promoter. By the way, no I do not live in Madison, I'm from Kenosha ( 5 minutes from Lake Michigan, and 5 minutes from the Illinois state line ).
Old 12-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

The FVRCC is building some rocks hopefully me and dave get some done soon we will be having them at hobbytown oshkosh upstairs Bob will give us all the room we need we expect to have 6 4x4 sheets done in the next month hopefully so sooner then later our club will have some other place besides my basement to play will be having comps at kaspers evry couple of weeks we had some fun last week ............kasper
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
My buddy who runs touring cars just told me that Trakside Raceway is going to put in a crawler coarse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy4753 View Post
Don't know, but I was there late fall and was talking to a guy that work's there and he indicated that he was checking into it more (crawlers, that is) At that time he said that there were a few guys that were getting into it, sooooooo, it may not be all rumor.
Some new changes to trackside are going to be coming soon. Some changes are aleady started but looks like next year for others. I cannot exactly tell anyone what the changes are at this moment.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Wicked-Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper View Post
The FVRCC is building some rocks hopefully me and dave get some done soon we will be having them at hobbytown oshkosh upstairs Bob will give us all the room we need we expect to have 6 4x4 sheets done in the next month hopefully so sooner then later our club will have some other place besides my basement to play will be having comps at kaspers evry couple of weeks we had some fun last week ............kasper
thats great to hear! boy kasper, its gonna be difficult to top your place tho... i'm still thinkin that real rocks are better to crawl on than foam, i guess we'll hafta wait and see!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Nice to hear that trackside is getting into the game. Do you work there?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
Nice to hear that trackside is getting into the game. Do you work there?
I never stated that trackside was getting into the game. There is talks going around right now. We have some unused space that is opened up. Talks have been about rock crawling, a video game lounge, and expanding the pits. The first two options are the ones that seem more likely. I can only say so much of what is actually going to happen.

I was told by a friend of mine about this thread here. I came to be the voice of this thread. As soon as I know what is exactly going on I will let you know. One employee is big into rock crawling. He was asked if they built a crawling section how many people would come. Right now scotty the owner is busy and over seas. When he returns more will talked about what is going to happen.

Yes, I do work there in some fashion. I am not a regular employee per say. Every event that is put on I help with in some way. I volunteer alot of my free time helping scotty out. I will see what info I can come up with for everyone later.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Wicked-Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote