Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Wisconsin

Notices

Thread: moving to stevens point any comps local

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default moving to stevens point any comps local

I'm moving to stevens point in june from san deigo and need to know where the local comps or scale crawling goes on. I grew up in wis til I was 13 and can't wait to go back to raise my family (son 8 and dughter 5). San deigo has nice weather but the people aren't nearly as nice as Wis. and I miss the hunting and fishing too. Less gangs,drugs and other problems for kids and the chase for the allmighty dollars is more like a jog than a sprint. Can't wait to get involved in crawling and rc racing in Wis when I get there. Any input would be helpful.
62 bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
tjb
Rock Crawler

It all depends on how far you want to travel. ther are a few of us here in western WI that run with the Mn guys in Taylor's Falls. Which is about the top places around to run a actual qualify for the nats comp..

As far as comps go it's either there or Milwaukee. I am thinking of having a comp or two here in E.C this summer, but all depends on how much traveling to the midwest regional comps we end up doing.
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

my wife's family live in stevens point. you are only about an hour from appleton. kasper from on here has a killer indoor course and lives in appleton, theres also high cliff state park in appleton that would be awesome to crawl at with supers or 2.2, theres really no place to go in point, but in wausau theres rib mountain which would be nice to crawl at and is 1/2 hour drive from point. hope that helps, and welcome back to WI!

i used to live in new mexico, so i know what ur talkin about re: crime and quality of life as opposed to what its like in WI.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default thanks

Sounds great and 1 hour isn't to bad for a comp. Do they also race there? There has to be some cool rock piles in point somewhere? Will definitly look you up when I get back there to go crawl somewhere. I can't wait to get back there and get started.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I haven't explored Steven's Point too much, but with the river, I'm sure there's some good stuff to crawl. Take a look at Rib Mountain State Park up in Wausau. There's a ton of great rock to crawl up there.
MrNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default rib mt

I will for sure check it out in rib mt and I would think along the river in point should have something?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Your not far from Madison. There should ba a local track there. There is also Rib Mountian and Devils Lake in the summer. I Millwaukee we have the Lake Front and an Indoor coarse that schmenzer runs for the 1.9 class. Monroe has a track they might be putting in some crawler stuff.
schmenzer also posted some good crawl spots in the dells. One of them was a man made wall in front of a water park.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default sounds great

That sounds awsome that thers a track in rib mt since thats close to point but going south for comps even 1.9s sound good I don't mind to travel some and you got to go where the actions at. I'm the kinda guy that if it's to far I will build my own set up. I built a slash track in my backyard here and we have races every other weekend with up to 15 trucks and it's a blast so I bet that happens again and crawler coarse this time aswell but at first I want to check out all I can when I get back there and get settled.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Hey, welcome back to Wisconsin, when you get here anyway! I and my friend are pretty much alone in the central WI area, as far as we know. He and I have been thinking about getting together this spring for some crawling. He's near Rib Mountain, and I'm in Mosinee. I visit Point from time to time (family) but never really looked around for any crawling spots. My friend thinks Rib Mountain would be a great place to crawl. He's been around that area more them myself. Maybe we could get together sometime.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default for sure

Sounds great and would love to hook up once landed and by then should have a fleet together ready for damage. When I was in point last I thought there was a cool spot at a park along the river but it's been a while. Once I go back I will find spots or make my own. (I run heavy equipment my trade) So for now I'm just looking in from the outside keepin an eye on the scene and hopefully making some internet freinds to meet up with later. My son (8 years old) have been rc ing for a while know and want to keep it up. I used to do alot of 1 to 1 fabrication but in times like this rc stuff seems like a better choice. Keep in contact. Shawn
Old 02-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Hi Shawn. Sure thing. We'll have to get together. When do you think you'll be back in Point? Besides crawlers, both my friend and I also have nitro monster trucks, so maybe we could make a day of crawling and bashing, or something. It seems like the more guys and trucks, the merrier!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
tjb
Rock Crawler

You guys get something together, let me know

Let me know if you guys want to take a run to Taylor's Falls this spring. I can take 3, if you guys make it to EC I will cover from there
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I am one hour or so east of you i am off hwy 10 in Appleton we have comps every wednesday night we also have some weekend gtg and comps we will have to hook up this spring and summer you are welcome to come over anytime to play will be moving the course around this week check some of the pics and vids under my name otherwise give me a call spend a lot of time down in the basement playing 920-313-0027........chris
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default I like it

Well the plan is to move around may or june so should be ready for fun by july for sure. All these offers sound great and kasper thanks for the comp invite and will check out the vids. I hope to get real involved in crawling/ racing/ bashing/ fun when I get back there and figure it's a great way to meet new people and have fun (maybe even throw down a few beers). I know from my childhood how nice the people are there and this thread just proves it. Here in so cal people want a skin sample prior to meeting up. Thanks to everyone and know that you will have couple of rcers added to the group soon enough and I always figure the more the marrier.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

One question.....are you bringing that little beast of a bug, in your avatar, back to WI too? I'd like to check that thing out!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
One question.....are you bringing that little beast of a bug, in your avatar, back to WI too? I'd like to check that thing out!
tru dat! that thing is wikid sweet!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Default No

No sorry to say I have to sell it to help with the move and the place to use it and the market for it is out here where the desert racing is. It's a fun car and was an awsome time to build it. But if you got 60,000 burning a hole in your pocket I would gladly bring it and deliver it to your doorstep no problem. When I get back there I think a 1to1 rock crawler/trail cruiser will be in my future and the crazier the better as you can see I never liked to do what everyone else does. The way I figure it if I get a couple snowmobiles for the winter and a pontoon boat for the summer and a trail rig for all year I should be set. Now thats the plan but the wife might have somthing to say about it? I will also be starting up a side bus. doing 1to1 fab work in the garage from crazy to simple. well later Shawn
Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 bugzilla View Post
No sorry to say I have to sell it to help with the move and the place to use it and the market for it is out here where the desert racing is. It's a fun car and was an awsome time to build it. But if you got 60,000 burning a hole in your pocket I would gladly bring it and deliver it to your doorstep no problem. When I get back there I think a 1to1 rock crawler/trail cruiser will be in my future and the crazier the better as you can see I never liked to do what everyone else does. The way I figure it if I get a couple snowmobiles for the winter and a pontoon boat for the summer and a trail rig for all year I should be set. Now thats the plan but the wife might have somthing to say about it? I will also be starting up a side bus. doing 1to1 fab work in the garage from crazy to simple. well later Shawn

my 1:1 tj is ready to run the pipeline! got a couple other jeep builds to finish up as well... wish we had some more places to wheel up here.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 bugzilla View Post
Dang it. Seriously, that bug is so nice. I've never seen one up close, and thought I might get the chance, but I don't exactly have the funds to buy it either, so I'm out of luck. What kind of powertrain is in there? I'm really curious about that. You wouldn't happen to have any photos or a website for the bug, would you?
Old 02-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Default motor and trans

Well the bug has a LS1 5.7 with mods like poted heads and way bigger camshaft but when it's all said and done it 550 hp from turnkey engine supply and the transaxle is an albins from australia and have a 11.5 inch ring gear 4.88 and 5 speeds and weighs in at 160lbs (costs 17,000) but that is what you need for a 4000lbs 550 hp projectile at 100mph across the desert. I broke a few different transaxles before getting this one and should have done it before. The woops we have here are 3 to 4 feet deep and 10 ft apart and you can go thru them at 100 mph and not spill a half full beer. It's fun stuff but my wife doesn't like the speed factor so much so that's why I might build a crawler/ trail rig for back there. Here's some other pics.
Attached Images