Go anyways 3 75.00%
go on sunday 1 25.00%
next week 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Devils Lake in WI Nov. 12th

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2005, 03:03 PM   #21
MWRCA'er

I just used my MIG welder set on its lowest setting with .030 wire. I used brake line from a auto parts store. I just kinda tacked the joints in place. Like Zzzzt thats it, no more. So far the cage has been ridiculously tough I've actualy dented some of the tubes, I've never had a weld break yet. I have to repaint the cage about after every run, but paint markers work great.

So I'd go with some brake line because its cheaper, lighter and easier to cut and bend then solid rod. Then just start bending with a tubing bender and tack the tube together. Let it cool a little between each weld. You will have to practice a while to find the correct wire speed settings so you don't get a lot of splatter and don't burn through. Turn the gas on to like 15psi it will help stop the splatter.

All of us are running Moab tires or LST's but swamp dawgs should work good I have a set on my 2.2.

Hands down, a Integy Lathe motor would be the way to go. It will give you hour or longer runtimes and large amounts of torque.

Whats the nearest Hobby shop to Baraboo?

Last edited by Mnster; 10-27-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2005, 07:41 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I'm rockin some new diff outdrive cups
Soya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:31 AM   #23
MWRCA'er

You finally got the right ones?
Might try for Baumen park again this Sunday.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #24

I was thinking about using brake line but I thought it would be to big dia. Maybe I will use it on ugly truck 2. lol I dont have any gas on my welder yet. I just havent taken the time to get some. it says gassless so I didnt worry about it. I guess I will now. I hear the integy 55turn motors are probably the best but I also heard that they are hard to find now that everyone is using them on their crawlers. I've been watching ebay alot but $ is kind of an issue right now. right now I have about $55 into my truck (without the axles) so I think I'm doing pretty good.

The nearest hobby shop is in reedsburg. its about a 20min drive from here. It's a small place and they dont really have much for electric. The owner is more into gas trucks, airplanes, and heli's. he orders stuff but it takes a while to get it. So if you guys need anything from a hobby shop I would suggest stopping at R\C Performance and hobbies in madison on the way. You will have better luck finding what you need there.

toms hobbies www.tomshobbies.com
r\c perfomance and hobbies www.rcperformance.com
lofty975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:18 PM   #25
MWRCA'er

Yeah we meet up at R/c Performance and Hobby its a good shop. The website they have though needs some work.

Integy motor
http://rc4wd.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=109
Old 10-28-2005, 12:45 PM   #26

or like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1its not an itegy but it should work.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:29 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Talking

My repair and mod's are all most done. I stretched the wheel base to 18'' ish. and put the lower links on top of the axel. Now I just have to grease the axels and install them on the truck and test it out. It should be ready to go on the 12th.;)
thumbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

18"? Eeek!
Soya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:36 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Were giving it a try, The wheels stick out a little from the body, But it has vary good articulation, better than it was before. If it dosen't work, it not that hard to change the links.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:10 PM   #30
MWRCA'er

I'd say 16" is a good number for wheelbase, it give's you enough belly clearance and turning radius to clear rocks. My Brothers Clod is 17" It seems to do really well. If you have some tall tires to go with it you might be able to use the 18" setup. I would probably make it a shorter, but experiment with it first.

I'd say keep the flex to like 80 degrees max. Anymore and it will just make you tumble over.

Hopefully the leafs won't cover the rocks to much. I and Soya went to Rock Cut state park yesterday and in someplaces the leafs were over the tires.

Pic's from yesterday here.
http://www.freewebs.com/nissan4x4hb/leafyrockcut.htm
Old 10-30-2005, 01:50 PM   #31
MWRCA'er

I went crawling again today I broke a few things, the rear steering is sloppy, the rear steer switch on the radio is worn out, Battery pack mount cracked off, I broke another c hub thats 4 hubs since last time at Devils lake. I guess the extra offset of the 40series wheels puts some leverage down and snaps them off. I'll go to alum hubs to see if it helps. So much for ready to go I guess.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:54 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

hopefully you will get all of your parts in before the 12th, My truck so far working, but I need to test it out some more before the 12. I still plan to go.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:23 PM   #33
MWRCA'er

If you want to test it out, Soya and I are planning on meeting up at Baumen park again this coming Sunday to get ready for Devils Lake.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:30 PM   #34
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty975
or like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1its not an itegy but it should work.
Yeah those are nice but the Integy motors have been proven and are cheaper. If you don't like online C-card payments you can mail a Money Order to RC4wd.

If I recall those motors were sold by integy but they did cost about twice as much as the one's I bought.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:43 PM   #35

That motor was just the first 55turn that I found on ebay. I got my tire and yokes today. I get to put it together and test it finally. Should I run the tires with the foams in or out. they are really sloppy ywithout but I thought it would grip better. guess I could try it both ways. is there any cheap wheel wideners out there for a tlt?I'm going to be rolling over on every rock I can see that already.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:41 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Sounds great for Sunday at Beumen park, I'm free after 1:00 PM let me know
Old 10-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #37
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty975
Is there any cheap wheel wideners out there for a tlt?
You can use stub axles from a blackfoot to widen your axles by 1/2".

They are longer then TLT ones so you will need to find some kind of spacer to space them out. Washers whatever.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGG15&P=7

But the best way to widen it is to use wheels that have a high offset.

I would use the foams, the tires are just to sloppy and fold up other wise. I love the tires because they make that true mud tire howl sound on pavement. They also chirp if you nail the brakes.

Thumbman, sounds good I'll get back to you on the time. I have to talk to my Brother to see if or what time he can come. You know where the park is right?

I ordered some INet Alum knuckles tonight should be here before this weekend I hope.

Last edited by Mnster; 10-31-2005 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:47 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Mnster, the park is south of State st. in Cherry Valley. Let ne know if I'm right or not.

I'm still planning on going on the 12th like last time meet at LHS and head to Devels lake? The guy I work with had other plans cume up, but a Friend of mine is going to come with me.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:37 AM   #39
MWRCA'er

Yeah thats the plan again meet at the LHS then head to the lake. Lofty975 lives about 5 minutes away so he probably won't meet us at the LHS. There is a guy from Chicago that should also be at the park not the LHS. If anyone else just wants to drive straight through thats fine to. But I'll be going to the LHS again though.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:48 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

What's with your feed back mnster?
Sounds like there is a lot more people this time.
10 days away it's getting close
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote