next week 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Devils Lake in WI Nov. 12th

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
MWRCA'er

Default Devils Lake in WI Nov. 12th

PIC's on Page 4
Another run to Devils lake, Wisconsin probably the final run of the season. Hopefully this will be the biggest run of the season. We should get a few more people to add to the attendance then last time.

Last edited by Mnster; 11-13-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2005, 05:54 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'm in
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:38 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Looks like I'll be there too. Maybe with a new guy if he gets his truck bought and together by then.
Halfj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:57 AM   #4

I might be in.
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I really wish i could come up with you guys, but my rigs still aint ready, but if I could get transportation, I'm shure i could scrounge up some money to finish er' up. But theres no way my mom or dad would drive me up there just to crawl. i cant wait till I get my liscence, im sooo close to that, im shure next spring i will be totally ready, I hope...........
Amaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:04 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Talking

So far the 12th looks good to go, I'm working on my truck as we speek. A guy I work with wants to go, he dosen't have a crawler at this time, but he thinking of making one. This trip may want him to make a crawler even more.
thumbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:39 PM   #7

my ride isnt done but I will be there. maybe I can find some tim eto git er done before then. what side and when?
lofty975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:51 PM   #8
MWRCA'er

We meet at the madison LHS but since your kinda really really close. We take the north entrance and park at the first parking lot we come to.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #9

Thats a good spot. I will be there. is there anyone else this close?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:00 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

no most of us are 3hours +or- away.
Southern Wisconsin in October last event
Old 10-17-2005, 11:58 PM   #11
MWRCA'er

Yeah I checked out the Starved Rock place in Utica it sucked. No rocks and thousands and thousands of people it was ridiculous also the famous Illinois hand rails. I felt like cattle being herded through fences, stupid eco nazis. Oh well at least I know how the park is now.

Yeah the Devils Lake trip should be fun again. I'm thinking about staying over night this time. I think I will completely ditch the dual rear servo idea it's just a waste of run time and weight. Other then that I think my truck performed great last time so I should be set. I might try to get a TLT going it’s always been on my to do list. I've bought a body and I have a set of 2.2 tires ready for the project. I have a Bruiser but its not much of a crawler its more of a mud beast.

lofty975, what kind of truck do you have? I live about 2 hours away.

Just like the last time I will try to bring my Brother and Soya with me.

Soya your truck needs work I picked it up the other day for photos and you definitly have a bearing out somewhere its squeaky. Your new body come in yet? Look on ebay for some moabs. I have a spare GWS servo to replace your XTM with.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

It might've, I'll stop by hobbytown tomorrow. Idk if I can afford moabs and wheels by the 12th.
Soya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:00 PM   #13

Mnster, I have a tlt-10. my first tube chassis. its got a lot of bugs but I have a little time to figure them out. I just got my front axle mounted yesterday. link geometry is a pain. I dont think it will win any contests but it should be fun out there. I probably wont have time to clean up my welds and paint it so it can win the ugly truck contest. its my first so be nice guys. lol I will have some pics of the build up when I can post them.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:55 PM   #14
MWRCA'er

2 1/2 more weeks then we go.

I seriously have not really drove my Clod since last time, I wanna get out and crawl. I might attempt to crawl local this weekend if I don't get rained out again.

How's your rigs coming along? mods, new trucks and stuff.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:32 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Made some high clearance lower links, added integy msr4 shocks, cut the frame up some more to clear the shocks, added new shock towers and switched the motor to the rear although the weight distribution is still about 50/50 with the battery midship. Gonna add some weight to the front axle. Also bought a hobbico CS-70mg for the rear servo but doesn't work any better than the futaba i had.

Also picked up some 3/16" rod, some brake line and solder..... I think I'm gonna learn how to solder or braze and mess around with tuber. I have a couple mig welders, i might try that route too. I've been looking for a spare set of TXT axles and a transmission.

The water below the dam is really low and all the big(ger) rocks are exposed. Gonna miss a little work this afternoon.
Can't wait till the 12th.
Halfj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:45 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Sounds great. Mines the same as last trip just better motors.
I would go the welding route. I have done the soldering it will break. The brazeing is to time consuming but will hold just fine. Welding is my fav. That could be because I'm a certified welder though.

I'm ready to go also. Probably going to take my truck instead of the wagon. don't know yet.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:49 AM   #17

I got mine together enough for a trial run. boke one of those cheap plastics yokes right away. so I ordered some steel ones. Im hoping there here before the 12th. My tires should be here too. I noticed alot of crawlers are running swamp dawgs. So thats what I ordered. I still have alot of work to do. not enough articulation. but I will bring it anyway so I can see what I have to do to be a true competitor. what motor do you guys suggest? Im going to run a revenge of the monster. only thing I've got right now. I'm running a stampede tranny with tlt axles on a mig welded tuber.

speaking of welding, what wire do you guys use? and do you use gas? the one I have is gas or gassless. I'm using .030 flux core wire set at the lowest setting and its burning through my tube and splattering pretty bad. my tube is .250x.025 it says.
( I dont really know what im talking about) this is my first tuber so I'm just kinda throwing it together I guess. maybe thats why im breaking stuff. huh
Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 PM   #18

Lofty, there is no real good way to weld that tube. The best weld for it would be a TIG. The wire from the MIG is probably just pushing right through the tube. TIG welding is good for welding where there is no need for filler, and MIG is a good filler weld, thus the wire.
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:20 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
Lofty, there is no real good way to weld that tube. The best weld for it would be a TIG. The wire from the MIG is probably just pushing right through the tube. TIG welding is good for welding where there is no need for filler, and MIG is a good filler weld, thus the wire.
Exactly mine is solid 1/4" mild steel.
same wire as yours at around 60amps and slow to medium wire speed.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #20

Bummer, I just bought this welder from a co-worker for this reason mainly. what kind of tube should I use? or should I just learn how to braze? I want to build a trailer for it just for show. It's working thee way it is but I have spent more time grinding and re-welding parts than actual building. thanks for the answers guys. your really helping alot.