Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Wisconsin

Notices

Thread: introduction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default introduction

Hi guys, local Appleton guy here looking at getting into crawling. I have been doing some research and just wanted to see what you guys thought. The RedCat RS10 seems to have caught my eye, for the price it seems as though it can't be beat, was wondering if anyone in the area had one and what their thoughts on it are. I am not looking at getting into comps just yet, just looking for something to get me out of the house. Thanks in advance.
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Welcome to the board! Be sure to check out the local crawler club, WiRCRC for events and get togethers while you're here. I have no experience with Redcat products, but I can say that Axial is hard to beat for parts support and availability. Are you looking at getting into competition type crawling or something like a 4x4 truck for general offroading and mild crawling?
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Just looking at messing around for now at least, i have seen several mods for the RS10, that, from what little experience i have, seem to make quite a difference. Kinda looking to get into it for cheap to see if i like it or not. If you happen to know of someone in the area that has a used rig for sale that would also work. Would have to be RTC though.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblteen View Post
Just looking at messing around for now at least, i have seen several mods for the RS10, that, from what little experience i have, seem to make quite a difference. Kinda looking to get into it for cheap to see if i like it or not. If you happen to know of someone in the area that has a used rig for sale that would also work. Would have to be RTC though.
I have an axial based Edge chassis crawler that I want $300 for. It includes the crawler, two split battery packs (1 7 cell and 1 8 cell), sidewinder ESC, metal drive shafts, battery charger, a JR XS3 3 channel wheel radio, stock axial wheels with losi rock claw tires and a set of panther cougar tires with out wheels. It has seen a fair amount of use but still drives well and being that it is axial based there are plenty of parts available if needed. It could use a BEC to help performance but it does ok as equiped.
Stinkyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If stinkyys rig does not interest you how much you looking to spend where in appleton do you live we will start crawling tuesday nights and wednesday nights in my basement if you feel like coming by to meet some of our club members and this is a fair warning when you see the set up located here in appleton not to mention the indoor course in oshkosh you will be hooked.

From what i know partsare not that easy to come by for the redcat and as far as price the old saying goes ya get what ya pay for but again i never owned one Stinkyys rig is worth the money if thats in your budgetI live on the south side of appleton by the new copps grocery store we are re designing the lower level rock loung the next few tuesday nights good luck on your search and look forward to meeting up with you in the near future.

WiRCRC
kasper
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkyy View Post
I have an axial based Edge chassis crawler that I want $300 for. It includes the crawler, two split battery packs (1 7 cell and 1 8 cell), sidewinder ESC, metal drive shafts, battery charger, a JR XS3 3 channel wheel radio, stock axial wheels with losi rock claw tires and a set of panther cougar tires with out wheels. It has seen a fair amount of use but still drives well and being that it is axial based there are plenty of parts available if needed. It could use a BEC to help performance but it does ok as equiped.
This is a very good deal. Pretty nice radio too, way better than you would get with a RTC. I have a JR XS3 Pro and it's one of my favorite radios.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
RCC Addict

If you haven't already, stop by Hobbytown Oshkosh and take a look at what's available for crawlers and scale trucks. The advantage is you can hold it in your hands and see what you'd be getting. It might give you a better idea of what you're looking for in an rc. Be sure to check out the crawler course upstairs (built by our club ).

One advantage of going with an Axial based truck (crawler or scale 4x4) is that Hobbytown carries most of the parts and upgrades you might want or need, and our club members usually have spare parts on hand for emergencies. Check back here for club activities, maybe you could stop by Kasper's some build night and see what it's all about. If you ask Chris nicely, he might let you test drive a rig or two to get a feel for this whole crawling thing
Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I would really enjoy coming out Tuesday or Wednesday, but i work second shift (2:30-12:30). That set up sounds nice, but i was looking to spend as little as possible, kid on the way. I was looking at spending 200 to begin with. I am definitely thinking about it though. I am on the north side of Appleton, kinda by The Bar.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblteen View Post
I would really enjoy coming out Tuesday or Wednesday, but i work second shift (2:30-12:30). That set up sounds nice, but i was looking to spend as little as possible, kid on the way. I was looking at spending 200 to begin with. I am definitely thinking about it though. I am on the north side of Appleton, kinda by The Bar.
Where do you work? I miss out on the tuesday night stuff too, work second shift myself. Got fridays off though.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Hey me too, gotta love the 4 tens, I work at Pro Label. I run a press.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yeah, me too, Pierce MFG for the last ten years. I wouldn't trade them for nothin'.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Maybe when i get a rig we can set up mid-Friday crawls for us special second shifters.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Traildawg and I try and get together as much as we can. I'm looking forward to heading back up to Door Co. You'll have to hurry up and get a crawler so we can get some fall crawls in.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Wife bought me a ps3 a while ago now we don't use our wii, gotta get rid of that to fund the crawler. All my spare money is going towards kid stuff right now. we'll have to see if i can get rid of the wii.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:31 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

What kinda games you play on PS3? Go on line ever? I love my PS3............. It only does everything.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

COD MW2 and MAG both online
Old 09-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Never got into that, thinkin' about trying them. More into the racing Dirt2, NFS Shift, F1, Baja stuff like that.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I heard my name mentioned . Fridays early-mid afternoon-ish usually work for me (3rd shifter). We need a donor rig for this guy, just to help the addiction along .
Old 09-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Jack is not coming along this Friday so if your free wblteen, you could run his creeper. ????

Could even run the wifes ax-10.... I'll just bring them all.

Last edited by Super; 09-19-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Where do you guys go? You guys sure do seem like your enablers!