Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Wisconsin

Notices

Thread: Finally ready to crawl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Finally ready to crawl

Since the get together at Kasper's I updated my rig alittle bit. As we know I kept getting stuck on my flat top, so order a Pro-line bug. Painted it metallic black and red. Added my decals and order a HolmesHobbies decal. Replaced the homemade BTA with a ST Racing Concepts 4 link BTA. Four linked the front with risers. Removed some weight from the front wheels, put the VF dig unit in. Ordered a deans connector cable for the charger and a balance wire. Got the wrong one but modded it to work. Also ordered some tools. Bought a new Hitec mini servo 225mg to replace the 5245mg that burned up. Well the new one burnt up as well. Seems it doesn't like the BEC at 6volts. So tonight I removed the 995mg from my Creeper and added it to the dig. Works great but damn does it move the body when shifting. On a good note now when on my top and can get it back on the rubbers.

Edit: Need some help from the vets. Right now if I punch it on take off and left off real fast, my back left wheel flies up in the air. If I back up real fast and punch it forward both front wheels come off the ground. I'm running the CC Mamba Max, is there any way to fix this.

Last edited by Wicked Klown; 11-24-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Stop "punching" it! But seriously, crawler setups do weird things when you overload the suspension with alot of sudden power input. How does it handle at crawler speed? That will tell you more about what tweaks it needs. Without knowing your setup, a change of springs or shock oil (left rear) might cure the problem.

Your dig servo issue might have been caused by too much throw. I ran a 225 without issues on my VP dig. If the servo keeps pushing beyond the stop point, it will fry. End point adjustment is critical.

I just noticed you're running a Losi(?) red spring at the left rear, try going stiffer at that corner.

Last edited by TrailDawg362; 11-24-2010 at 06:57 PM.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

From looking at your pictures I think you need to lower your upper links on the axle. I would remove the spacers and in the rear put the right link under the four link plate and the left link on top. You could do the same in the front but the left link would have to go under. I don't know what you are running for springs and shock oil but I run mine super soft except for the left rear is a medium. As for the shock oil, that will depend on your preference and the shocks you have. That should eliminate almost all of your torque twist and keep it from jumping around on you too much. I hope that answers your question and is not too confusing.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Good eye . Now, fix mine!
Old 11-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Here's a picture to help you see what I'm saying.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDawg362 View Post
Good eye . Now, fix mine!

What, you want me to drive it for you.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Yes please, but I get the points .
Old 11-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yeah, sure.......
Old 11-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
RCC Addict

If you're planning to show up at Hobbytown Friday, there should be enough time to play with your link geometry and pick some brains (not mine, its picked clean ). I'm still trying to get mine dialed, but I may be getting the GC-3A chassis. I think mine is just about maxxed out as far as tuning options.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
pick some brains (not mine, its picked clean ).
Mostly from the nasal passages!

T-dawg, what time you planning on getting to HTO? I might go early in the afternoon to get some wheel time (crawling and carpet)
Old 11-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I thought I was having De-Ja-Vu...

Liking the Body Color.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
Mostly from the nasal passages!

T-dawg, what time you planning on getting to HTO? I might go early in the afternoon to get some wheel time (crawling and carpet)
Yooz a funny mofo . I'd like to get there early-ish also, maybe 3-4?
Old 11-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-buck View Post
I thought I was having De-Ja-Vu...

Liking the Body Color.
I thought that looked familiar.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'd like to get there early-ish also, maybe 3-4?
That's about when I was thunkin'
Old 11-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I would love to be able to go tot he HobbyTown crawl. However not being able to drive and not having a ride there, limits my crawling. My EPAs were at the max for the dig. For somereason in two position setting it would go from 4wd to front wheel with freewheel rear. With the 995 it works perfect cept for throwing 200oz at it seems to move things. For springs I have Losi yellow, red and Axial grey. I know on my creeper I run the Axial grey and works really good.

Last edited by Wicked Klown; 11-24-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Yeah, that does make it tough. If you were more local I'm sure we could arrange a ride for ya .

Now that we pooped all over your thread, Super is right about your link placement. It looks as though you're running too much squat (not enough anti-squat) which will lift your front end. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Staggering your links, one higher than the other will help with torque twist, along with thicker oil/stiffer spring in the left rear. I prefer to run a stiffer setup than most, but I'm still learning the finer points of tuning.

Is your motor's endbell facing front or rear? Alot of people flip the tranny around to help with torque twist also. This might not be possible with a dig unit though.

Last edited by TrailDawg362; 11-24-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

You're right on the links, but the shock oil and springs more or less mask the torque twist. Thicker oil will slow it down but in a tight bind, side hilling or up hill climb you will still end up with twist. To test your set up you should try climbing something. Just "punching it" like Traildawg said doesn't tell you everything.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Klown View Post
I would love to be able to go tot he HobbyTown crawl. However not being able to drive and not having a ride there,
Don't you live by Chuck?? Just saying.... I know he is coming. O.K. O.K. I will not say anymore.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I'm up in Sheboygan or down, depending on which way ya go. Chuck is bout 40 minutes north of me.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Klown View Post
I'm up in Sheboygan or down, depending on which way ya go. Chuck is bout 40 minutes north of me.
I thought you guys were closer than that. Sorry.